1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online school

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mitchell, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Mitchell

Do any of you also attend an online school?

I'm a senior in an online high school program.

2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did, sort of, but I'm finished with it now. I really enjoyed it at first, but my second year they sold out to a new company so everything changed about it. I didn't graduate through that school though, creative differences over my graduation project didn't allow it. It was fun well it lasted though.

3. endless poetry

I was about to take an online course, but a space cleared up in dayschool so I didn`t need it, plus I chose not to finish university in high school, so no real experiences with online school :frowning2:

next yr?

4. KatoKumi

I tried for one year. A year I never want to go back to.
    I used to be with a very new program in LA, but it just wasn't for me.

How do you like it?

5. Shimmi

Shimmi Guest

I was thinking about it for some of my college courses but I havent tried it yet. How is that going for you ?

6. Mitchell

I really like it.. it works really well.

7. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I failed an "in-person" university math course and made it up correspondence (wasn't really online. I had a paper textbook, and I mailed in assignments).

While certainly there's benefits with the schedule flexibility, you must be very very self directed to succeed, as there may be no real apparent "pressure" to do anything (particularly on open ended courses that don't have fixed deadlines).

As well you lose out one the social contact side of things. While I could email / phone the professor with questions, there's a day and night difference between getting math help over the phone, and getting it in person. During university I found working in a study group a key to success. People on your own level that most likely ran into the same problems as you, people you don't have to go out of your way to talk to (my professor had limited phone hours), so you don't feel like you're bugging them, plus there's some amount of motivation working in a group, and you can bounce test prep questions off each other. You lose out on these doing a correspondence course.

Doing correspondence courses is like telecommuting. You need to schedule time to study, get yourself in the working mode, and eliminate distractions by completely separating work from fun. When I was doing my course I was also working a job, and living in a small apartment with cable TV, computer, etc. I had to drive 40 minutes away to a library after work, and dedicate several hours in the evening in order to get anything done. Set yourself some reasonable deadlines (keeping in mind that you have to dedicate as much time as you would to an in person course... easily 6 hours a week for 4 months), and be sure to get in contact with the professor. During my first phone call I found out there was a couple pages of errata in the course material that I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

8. starfish

I did several online classes in collage. Like Kenko said you have to treat it like a in person class.

I always set aside time for the classes and stuck with it.

I've been thinking about getting a masters degree. There are a couple of online programs that I have thought about, but I'm not sure that need something that further reduces my social interaction.

9. Mitchell

yes.
    I have a unique schedule...

Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I take my course books to the school and stay there from 7ish until 12:30ish

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I go to the library, coffee shop, or book store, and do my assignments from like 9:30ish until noon.

I have set times, that I do agree helps

10. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The college I attend offers a lot of online classes so I take a couple each semester. Right now I'm taking an English Literature and Ancient World History class online.

11. Miles D

I've been thinking about taking a few college courses online to supplement my already packed schedule :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: