1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Dad and which Mom?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BayeBorde, Sep 18, 2009.

1. BayeBorde

BayeBorde Guest

So you know how same sex couples can adopt babies well yes. Well some people tend to ask "well if there are two dads/moms how would the kid be able to tell one from the other since theres no mom and dad?" like the kid would call their parent dad/mom and not know which parent they are calling. You get me.

What I think is that one dad should be called Dad and the other Daddy, and Mom or Mommy.

What is your idea to differentiate parents when it comes to children in a same sex couple family?

2. Shevanel

I made an almost identical thread to this awhile ago which is HERE
    ^_^

3. mattypants

taking a page from kris [from quoted thread], the children find what works for them.

i never particularly liked the whole "this is dad, this is mom. end of discussion" type thingys, but thats probly cause i didnt grow up calling them mom or dad...but i was still able to make distictions so :slight_smile: everything worked out there

4. NickT

Not that that I'm into kids...they freak me out and/or annoy me...but I think I'll end up going with the dad/daddy thing. Or Dad/Milord. :3

5. BayeBorde

BayeBorde Guest

oh wow really i didnt know that sorry i just was thinking of that for a while, thought it was just me, i didnt copy it though sorry, and lols on milord, where that come from, well still i came up with my own answer, but ur cool

#5 BayeBorde, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2009
  6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I have a friend who with her husband insisted their children call them "mama" and "papa". You'll probably know what feels right when the time comes.

7. Gaydar

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'd probably say whatever the kid likes and/or gets in the habit of... I've always thought that if I ever adopted (having my own is out of the question), I'd let them call me by my first name. I'm pretty sure that that's going to be the norm in 30 years or so (just think -- 40 years ago I'd be calling my dad "Sir.")

8. Gaetan

I remember reading an article about this. One boy--man by the time of the article--simply called both of his mothers "mom". One anecdote in the article was a time he shouted "Mom!" from his room. One of the women, just outside, peeked her head in. "Yeees...?" His response, "Other mom."

9. Astaroth

Aww, that was cute!

Yeah, I'd either go that route or possibly have each parent sort of 'adopt' an unconventional nickname. I have a friend who calls her grandmother 'mema' and her mother 'momma'. It could be something that simple.

10. Just Adam

id be teh 'mum' if its required i got no problem with it :slight_smile:

but i think its better for the child to understand that he/she has two dadys or mummys and why its like this and that they are loved very much...

its like when kids are taught stupid kiddy names for things by adults as its cute >.> ... i remember my sisters gran.. not mine, kept saying a bird was a tweet tweet >.> i told my 4 year old sister no its a bird ! ...im rambling lol

11. Stuie

Someone I know has lesbian parents. He calls his biological mother mum and his other mother by her first name. So I guess that that is one way to do it.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was at college I had several friends with lesbian parents. I think calling them both "mom" (and, like Gaetan said, occasionally had to say "other mom") was common; one did "Mom" and "Mother".

13. starfish

Easy.

From ages 2-12 it "Dad, no I meant other dad"
    From ages 13-21 "I hate you"

14. MusicIsLife

I think it'd probably be something like Mom/Mommy ____ and our names, like Mama Lucy and Mama Jane or whatever :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. BayeBorde

BayeBorde Guest

those are some cool ideas and interesting story on the other mom answer

16. Meropspusillus

I know a couple who are "mom" and "imah" (hebrew for mom) to their daughters. Another couple are mom and mommy. There seems to be next to no confusion for the kid or the parents.

17. I've got two moms, and it does get a bit confusing sometimes. My biological mother is one of them, my sister's biological mother is the other one (but they used the same sperm donor, so we really are related! Sorry lol, I just think that's really cool). Anyways, when I was born my biological mom was mom or mommy or whatever, I guess since she was first. Then, my sister was born and because she couldn't say her biological mom's name (they had planned on using "Mommy X") it became "mommydoo." So we have mom and mommydoo to this day.

We'll use first names too, if we're in a hurry and the wrong one answers, and I must say we're very guilty of the "other mom!" thing. :slight_smile:

18. RaeofLite

Think like the Lword.

Tina and Bette had a baby with a sperm donor. They were called Momma T and Momma B. Cute, but gets the job done.

19. joss22

I have a friend who has two moms, she usually calls them by their first names, but when she says 'mom' it means her biological mom.

20. lostinthought9

Hmm...why did I not see that thread Joey made?

Anyways, I'll just post in this one. I've been thinking about this lately too, because I just recently decided I want kids lol. I'd probably go the dad/daddy route.