1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to be religious and gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by warrior, Sep 20, 2009.

1. warrior

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Is it possible for a person to be both religious and a homosexual at the same? Can a homosexual still remain religious and yet go on with his homosexual lifestyle? Can a religious person not be homosexual and yet practice his respective Faith? Or are they in stark contradiction?

I have heard about Christian gay/lesbian, so on the same line, is it possible for one to be a Jew or Muslim and yet live a healthy life with his same sex partner.

The way I see it, if there is a God, then he must love us all, or else he isn't worth calling a God. Besides, the verses in the Abrahamic revealations, that are said to condemn homosexuality are now said to actually condemn perverse, lust-filled relations on either sexuality and is silent on the subject of same sex love. So, to sum up, can a person be both religious and homosexual?

What say?

2. kettleoffish

yes. You pretty much summed up all my reasoning for being both religious and homosexual in your post though :dry:

edit: I know gay Jews, so I'd say that's possible too :slight_smile:

#2 kettleoffish, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  3. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm religious + I'm gay = It is possible.

I can't answer the second question about being Jewish or Muslim, as I am only a Christian. But yes, I believe it is quite possible to be both gay and religious at the same time.

4. Greggers

Well, its not like gay people live different lives than straight people or something. Its not some "radical lifestyle". I go to school, i eat, i sleep, i go out to movies with friends. Its not like being gay changed any of that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

So when it comes to religion, the same thing applies. You can be a gay Christian just like you can be a divorced Christian. Both things are stated multiple times in the bible as "sin" but you dont see everyone whos divorced living "the divorced lifestyle that includes no religion".

Most Christians agree divorce is not wrong. Alot of Christians also agree homosexuality is wrong, just not to the same extent as divorce. The only extra hurdle for gay Christians i would say is finding an excepting church. That is NOT hard seeing as Christianity has like 5000 branches, each with different views on the bible and life.

5. Ben

Ben

There are definitely groups of gay Muslims. They are more prominent in The USA than anywhere else. And there are also gay Rabbis in Judaism too. :slight_smile:

6. kyvoice

kyvoice Guest

I am a gay Christian and I would never think that God would not love homosexuals. God loves everyone and there will be a place for us in heaven.

7. Yes! I'm not exactly sure what I believe yet- I'm hovering somewhere between Christian and agnostic -but I went to a Christian youth group with my last girlfriend, and I know several other gay people there as well.

8. Shevanel

9. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    First: Yes, it is. Remember this before reading on.

Second: Research a religion before jumping in. I 3 doing this before socially ingraining yourself into the church. Ask yourself, truthfully why you believe in a religion. Examine the motivations for religion in your life: Social community? Emotional consolation? Answer the questions truthfully. If anything, do these things to better understand the god/s you pursue worshiping.

It's better to search endlessly for the truth than to worship falsehood for all eternity.

Third: I personally am an atheist, but not for lack of trying. I have searched my life for some form of magic. It's never been there. I've realized that I have to take responsibility for my own happiness and that of those around me.

----------

Sorry for the double post, but heres something inspiring.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1xr5c3GJuo[/YOUTUBE]

----------

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12rP8ybp13s&feature=player_profilepage[/YOUTUBE]

10. shimmersky

Yes!
    I am a gay Christian. :slight_smile:

God created you this way on purpose. God loves you.

The main point of Christianity is LOVE. So the next time a so-called "Christian" hates you just because you love someone you "shouldn't" love.... just keep in mind that that is NOT what God intended, and that they are perhaps overlooking, oh, I don't know, ALL of the things Jesus said?

:slight_smile: May God bless you and give you strength and courage in your journey.

11. Amy

Amy

*points to self*

12. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes you can.... I am.. Well. currently. I'm still confused on the matter, but I do belive God loves us no matter what.

13. Amy

Amy

14. Jose Carioca

Out Status:
    A few people
    If you do not question the existence of god rationally, then by all means believe in him. Use the presupposition to supplement your life, but don't let it rule it. Let it enhance, not degrade your life. Make your own god. Don't let others tell you what god has to be.

15. dude99

dude99 Guest

[​IMG]
    Well I guess there would be a good reason to go to church if this guy was there.

16. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

Plain and simple: HELL YES.

I purposely said hell LOL. I am Christian and I am proud of it! No one can take that away from me. Jesus loves me and I love Him. Like they say in X-Men (the comics): "God loves, Man kills".

17. SRSLYMARK

It is definitely possible to believe in a god and practice your own faith and also be gay, but often, it's difficult for a homosexual to actually practice in an established religion, as many of them don't support the gay lifestyle. It depends on if you view religion as a personal thing or as something being controlled by higher-ups/religious dogma.

18. cicciux

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ah... we come back to Religion. In a very protestant way I always say that It's not God I have a problem with, it's the intermediaries.

I also don't believe any of that ritualistic stuff that most religions engage in. Also, I don't like the idea of having to 'ask someone else' for things I want in my life. If something, God gave us all free will, and the power to use it... so why should we ask HIM to give us anything, when it is clearly within our power to achieve it.

Asking 'God' is giving up responsibility... if I ask God, and I don't get what I want, then it's God who didn't give it to me. If I set a goal for myself and don't get what I want, then it is me who failed.

I have lived through some stuff in my life, granted it's not the worst possible life in the world, but it's not the best either... and i've found that no single religion fits 'all sizes'. I am strongly opposed to mindlessly following someone else, because that leads to fanatism, crusades, inquisitions, wars, etc.

If you truly and honestly believe in God or that Jesus was God or that the Messiah is yet to come, or that everyone can reach Buddha state... and you can understand that being homosexual has *nothing* to do with your personal relationship with God (or with yourself) then it is possible to be both religious and homosexual.

If you are into religion to follow a preacher and do exactly as he says no matter what you feel or know... then I'd say it's going to be difficult to be both religious and homosexual.

i'm sorry if I ofended someone with my post... it's just how I feel.

19. Haiiro

Haiiro Guest

It is possible to be gay and religious...I've known a few people who were both within the Christian Faith. Not me, personally, but yeah.

As far as my own religion, I don't think it has a single thing to say about homosexuality. Just my mother who says "it's just not natural," but I really don't care about her opinion on that. I will worship my deities regardless of her opinion. I love Wicca.