1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homosexuality and the doomsday scenario

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by starfish, Sep 21, 2009.

1. starfish

So I am watching "Dr. Strangelove Or: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb".

I just saw the part where Dr Strangelove suggested that we build shelters in mine shafts and live there the next 100 years, while the radiation subsides.

One of the things that he mentioned is that a computer could pick the people. Using parameters such as age, general health, sexual fertility, necessary skills, etc.

So this got me thinking. In such a scenario, one of the main goals is to preserve our society and to repopulate once the surface returns to a habitable state. Homosexuals following their innate sexual tendencies would not product children.

So that makes me think should we be among those selected?

I have my opinion but I am curious to see what others think.

2. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    in the doomsday scenario where there's a full 100 years underground... homosexuals are to be the catalogers and child raisers/teachers, if they're to be included at all. Sadly that's all we'd be "good" for considering we wouldn't be so "geared" towards repopulating the planet.

in an ideal situation, it could be that every man is to copulate with a woman and bear at least 2 children (replacements) during this time frame. It wouldn't stop homosexuals from being able to be themselves, it'd be more like being drafted for a war. You do your part, and you can do what you want. (insemination is an option, just probably not as easily done unless the turkey basters are decent enough)

3. Greggers

Well since every gay couple is friends with a lesbian couple if you take your cue from TV, we can have two gay men swap two vials of sperm for one baby, and the lesbians keep the other baby! Its a perfect plan to survive once we all become homosexuals, seeing as that is bound to happen once they learn gay sex is SO much better :slight_smile:

4. Just Adam

100 years this sounds like fallout 3 all of a sudden...

at times like that i think peopel beeing that selective and sexual preference og out the window..

sure only the rich will get in lol thats how it works >.> but once in even gay people will repopulate through what ever emans neccisary. but for the sanctity of culture and preserving knowlledge of humanity lgbt people should be allowed to co exist...
    as for tasks given we can do anything we could do night shifts so familys could be together, would could focus on beeing security as we could be classed as expendable lol...

i try not ot think of nuclear damnation though...

5. Porphyrogenitus

It doesn't really matter, because in that scenario, everyone's stuck in limited accomodations for 100 years, so the originally chosen people won't be around when they emerge, and there's certainly no place for unrestricted poulation growth. Not to mention that food and other resources would be scarce, so you'd actually need pretty strict population control, even after re-emerging. As such, homosexual people could actually be quite useful, because they can have all the fun and sexual outlet they like, but only reproduce if and when it's required (as part of their duty to the human race and all that).

6. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, we'll all be making sacrifices in such a scenario. I'm guessing that straights would just have to mate with their assigned partners too, regardless of attraction (if there are only a few hundred people, you won't have all that much free choice which partner to take. The computer would assign that, to preserve genetic traits and avoid inbreeding).

So sex would be like in Victorian times: "Close your eyes, and think of England!" :icon_wink

I'm pretty sure there would be gay people in the vaults, though. There are a lot of skilled and healthy homosexual people out there and they would definitely be fit to be included. They'd just have to take one for the team every now and again.

7. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Also in all subsequent generations you have no control over the sexuality of everyone

8. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm going to be having kids... if it's the end of the world. I want my genes to be spreading everywhere.

9. Gurds101

we could all still have kids.... it being done would just be a little awkward however we went about it....

I have a bomb shelter underway for who knows what... lol

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In such a scenario, one might argue there IS no place for homosexuals. Then again, when repopulation is the main goal, there's also no place for the infertile and anybody over the age of 50.

The main thing to keep in mind, though, is that the doomsday scenario is just that - a doomsday scenario. It's close to the opposite of what things are right now. In the here and now, the real issue isn't "needing to populate the earth" but overpopulation. In which case, homosexuals should be quite welcome. :slight_smile:

Lex

11. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, when I read the title I was hoping we would bring about the end of the world.

12. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    only homosexuals should be chosen because they have tha bilty to reproude but will not cause over population.

just imagine what would happen if they ran out of condoms with str8 couples swarming the place with nothing to do

13. Tim

Tim

As Steve said, just because we like the same gender does not mean we are unable to reproduce.

14. 71390S

71390S Guest

Homo's have been around as long as heterosexuals have, and the world's population is higher than ever. And just because we're homo's, doesnt mean we lack the drive to reproduce. Plus, who cares? If humans die out, we die out. No biggie, species go extinct all the time.

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly WHICH doomsday scenario is he talking about?

16. azrae1

azrae1 Guest

i think if str8 people will repopulate the earth and gays and str8 people live in one cave... i bet there will be an a**hole old white hair guy will bring up some stupid religion that will descrimenate us and turn us in to witches and demons lol; and say.. "we are the choosen ones to rule the earth blah blah blah" lol

17. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    al we have to do is kill of the str8s and nominate me as dictator of the new world .

18. mcrteenagers

Not to mention everyone in that mineshaft would look FABULOUS!

(that is a satirical)

19. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

We all know how it would go down. There would be a data base made. It would pick random "families" that would get to hunker down while the rest of us died. In other words humanity is doomed because the amount of greed would be too high. I think bible thumpers would put out prop 78 ads to stop known homosexuals from being able to survive that way "their kind can die off." I doubt their stance is going to change in the next 100 years.