1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magazine project status

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Miaplacidus, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ladies and gentlemen,

it is my sad duty to inform all Empty Closets members that our magazine project, also known simply as "ecwebzine", has been shut down due to licensing issues. We have been told that we're free to continue with it but that it cannot be linked to Empty Closets in any way besides name. That means that it would have to be a totally external and independent project without any kind of support from Empty Closets - which is basically killing the project because there'd be no community to share it with.

If someone is wondering about it, this doesn't have anything to do with any of the EC moderators, nor with Paul, who I'm sure would at least try to help us if he could, but this time the problem is above what he can do.

Finally, I'd like to say thanks and offer my apologies to the following EC members:

Paul_UK, for allowing us to start the project and providing us with server space for our web site, as well as providing us with our own forum.
    our web
    TriBi, for trying to help us with the legal problems.

GuitarGirl1350, for helping me greatly with the web site.

JayHew, for providing us with the needed medical articles.

vampyrecat, for submitting a very nice picture for our cover.

Dave, for designing two very nice covers.

Kimi, for designing four, also very nice, covers, which were the base for the 0.6a cover.

tired_of_lying411, for designing some logos.

24601, for letting us use his "Mozilla Firefox" article.

xequar, for letting us use his "Indefinite Deferral" article.

We'd also like to mention ### member averageguy for letting us use the now well known "Parent/Family Stages of Grief" article.

And, of course, all those who expressed interest on the project. There are many more who offered to submit content, however, the project was too short-lived for them to do so.

Thank you very much for your interest on our project, and once more I'm deeply sorry for what happened.

Frederick (Miaplacidus)
    The Empty Closets Magazine Project

--------------------------------------------

Now that the project has been shut down and I'm not its de-facto leader anymore, I will be myself just for a second. I'd like this to be left as-is, if that's possible. Sorry, I need some release.

I AM REALLY SAD... I'M CRYING... IT WAS MY DREAM... MY BABY... WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN TO ME???? :tears: IT IS THE FOURTH TIME I FAIL... WHY CAN'T I DO ANYTHING THE RIGHT WAY?

2. Re: Magazine project canceled

Im really sorry your work went for nothing Fred. I'm sure its nothing personal

3. CrimsonThunder

Re: Magazine project canceled

(*hug*)

I dunno how its illegal though...

4. Hydrogen

Why do we not come up with one that does not have the same name, but similar, and just link to it in our footers, etc, so the word spreads about it here, but the "project" will not be anything to do with EC technically...

5. Kimi

Oh...men...:icon_sad: :icon_sad:

6. Vampyrecat

:frowning2:

7. davo-man

That's such a bugger Fred, i know how much that meant to you, but im sure youll be able to create something even better, even if it isnt this project...And when you do, let me know so i can help :slight_smile:

8. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Who is going to link to it?

Thanks for your support though... :icon_sad:

9. justjoshoh

Honestly, I am not at all surprised that the project is being canceled. It does surprise me that the name would even be allowed to be used. It was only a matter of time, as there would have been unmoderated information attached to the company that holds the proprietary rights to the name and such.

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Uhm... they hold the domain name, though. I would have thought that's all they hold. Are you saying they've registered a trademark on "empty closets" and that's why it can't be used? More info, please.

11. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Here is the reason why the project had to be canceled.

This is all hypothetical. A contributor, from now on "X", submits content to the magazine, which is published. Some time after, X comes to us asking for royalties. We obviously say no, then X sues us for copyright infringement. That's what they're trying to avoid. The offered solution was making it a blog (which would distort the original idea to something completely unrelated)

There's a chance to continue the project but it'll be really difficult. We need a kind soul to provide us with a web server and (most importantly) a decent URL (web address). We could use the EC name but it would be only a name - no backing from the site. And I don't think ecwebzine has enough backing on the EC community to continue.

I've found a solution but I don't think it could be implemented because of lack of communication with the site owners.

12. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This is really hard for me to do, but it's my duty as the project leader.

ecwebzine's website was shut down at 4:25 AM GMT. At the moment, the only remnant of the magazine project is its subforum here on EC.

Through this post, I request the Mods to delete all the posts and threads on this forum which have anything to do with ecwebzine, as well as the magazine subforum.

Thanks.

Frederick.

*sits on a dark corner and cries*

#12 Miaplacidus, Aug 4, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  13. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

That sounds a little ridiculous as a reason not to do it... you just get the people submitting to sign waivers or whatever assigning the magazine or the hosting company or whatever rights to first publication or whatever. I mean if that were seriously any kind of issue, no magazine anywhere would ever get published. Or in the more reasonable world, you just state really clearly in the call for submissions that by submitting your work you are assigning copyright of it to the magazine. It's hardly brain surgery.

14. Sam

Sam

I'm sorry I know how much this meant to you I wish that there was something that could be done

15. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

The site owners say that it is not enough, and that the underage members publishing on the magazine can't sign a contract.

I'd really like to carry on with this but I can't do that alone. I'm very sorry.

16. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

*sigh*

Well that's still one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. If they can't sign a contract then they'd hardly have legal standing to sue.

Plus I doubt very much that submissions to an electronic publication are treated exactly the same as something that is physically printed and distributed.

I don't even care, personally, if the magazine lives or dies on its own merits--I just don't think anyone should be thwarted in their efforts by idiocy like this.

I doubt very much that magazines the world over regularly refuse submissions from people who are underage. I mean maybe some of them require parental permission which might of course stymie some people here but you can tell from this situation and others in the past that the ### owners are FAR too concerned with covering their asses than they are with being reasonable. It's just meant to be a cool project, not something to become enmired in legal concerns, for god's sake!

Anyway, I'll shut up because you just can't fight this kind of lunacy.

17. Hydrogen

We, the members, could put it in our signatures, or find another way. Hell.. EC could link to it, and have a statement, they are NOT involved. Then we, as a community can put it together under our own name.

Lets face it the owners of EC, and ###, are scared about legal crap after they had a very rough issue over images uploaded at ###, so now they have to cross every T and dot every I.

However, there is nothing wrong with us as a community, creating a new community of writers and readers, for our own magazine.

We can simply link it under the "resources" area..

Don't let stupid legal "issues" cause something you, and others here, invested so much time into. The internet needs more age appropriate LGBT resources.

18. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

The situation has changed. Considering that, the project continues, but it will be kept on hold until otherwise said. We'll provide more information soon. Thanks for your attention.

Mods: Don't delete the magazine forum yet. Thanks.

19. CrimsonThunder

Kids can sign... But they have to get their parent to do the same.

20. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We are The Full Spectrum now. Check out the magazine forum for details.

The legal problems are in the process of being solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.