1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you thoughts on...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joey, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Joey

tiny tiny University in northern Maryland
    So, I'm writing this big thesis for my Bioethics course on animal testing and it got ma a-thinkin. I was wondering what everybody's thoughts were on this subject.... do you think it's good? bad? some for of necessary evil? or are you apathetic to it all?

2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seeing as how my aunt works in a lab that does various tests on rats and sterile pigs, I find it to be a necessary evil to the medical world. We could just as easily test out things on prisoners with the death penalty, but that's a different argument for another day. When it comes to testing stuff on monkeys or whatever else they test things on for stupid purposes (i.e. cosmetics and things like that) that are pretty much pointless in my eyes, I say its not right at all.

3. mattypants

personally, i think if someone can justify it for the name of "good" or science, i can be allowed to do it for no reason.

i suppose i'd be an apathetic guy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. djt820

Its probably not right but will end up happening. We treat the idea of life poorly as humans so we can expect this animal testing to keep going on.

5. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

im not a fan of animal testing myself but i do know that it is necessary. there should only be certain things tho and the animals should have no ill treatment or pain.

6. Apocalypte

It's not a pleasant thing, but it's a necessary evil in the interests of science.

7. NickT

There have been experiments that were truly harmful to the animals and were inhumane. However, in order to explore and experiment new information, we gotta have something to test. Animals, unfortunately, are our only options =/

8. Joey

tiny tiny University in northern Maryland
    Not necessarily... some of the literature I've been reading is pretty morbid in giving the same moral virtue and validity of animals to babies, children and retarded adults. In those arguments it would be morally reprehensible NOT to test on retarded adults and the like AS WELL AS animals.

People are pretty messed up.

9. matty123

well being someone who is going into a sciencey career direction, my personal opinion is that to some extent its important, and if it saves lives then surely its worth it??But the i can't see myself ever being able to experiment and test on animals, i'm a complete animal lover, but then so is my sister, and she has done some rat experimentation shizz on a course during her physiology uni degree and she seemed ok with it, so i'm kinda for it because i think right now its a necessity and helps greatly with scientific research and drug trials etc, but don't wish to participate in it

10. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    1 more vote for necessary evil (I'm the one voting)