1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Huge Face Palm

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Legnaj, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

I had the opportunity of joining the GSA club at my college. They had a club fair/ apartment fair today and they had their little booth. I didnt go up to their booth because I was busy looking at appartments and what not. So I'm passing their booth and I get really nervous and I didnt know why. I am open with all but my mom and brother. So I walked away and sat near a table with their booth in view, (kinda stalkerish I know).

I think I may have been too judgemental and I hate to say it but I began profiling. :frowning2: Im dissapointed in myself for that but part of me couldn't help but notice that I couldnt pick out the students from the anime club (wearing over the top outfits) and the GAS club (wearing very birghtly over the top outfits.) In the back of my mind I had 2 thoughts, I could never fit in...and I don't want to fit in. Feeling crunchy, I decided to gaze at the poster (20/20 vision) the GSA had up.

I got mad.

Their itenerary for the month was up. It looked like their plans were put up by a highschool/middle school students. I have been ignornant in the past on these fourms which have caused me to reasearch more into lgbt rights, politics and more. We, as a community, have an equality march on Washington D.C comming up. In my local community, This GSA's community, the HRC is having an equality march next week not 12 miles away from the school in downtown Orlando but their itinerary included a lot of movie nights insted and nothing more. The question that came to mind "As a college group call GSA are you only supposed to premote a brotherhood of homosexuals and heterosexuals on campus or in the community?"

:tantrum: ERRRRRRRR it bothers me. An itch so to speak. No one on campus is talking about GLBT issues but sure enough they are talking about the other "cool" clubs. Not only that, the other clubs and organizations are a sign of accomplishments that can be put on a resume or application of any kind for their service outside the school and in the community.

I was let down, I had I hopes that I could be doing something good in my community by joining GSA. Even though I haven't/didnt join I held them to a high standard thinking that one day I could be part of a group making a difference in the community. I hope I read the sign wrong. I want to go to the next meeting though. I hope I'm wrong.
    If not,
    Hello PFLAG,
    Hello mom I'm gay,
    Hello College I go to, can we start a new club.

Maybe I'm just crazy and held uber expectations of a simple club at school but I hate reading the news everymorning pertaining to GLBT rights and seeing such slow (but steady) progress, seeing my governments disreguard for my civil rights and reading about societies minute understading of sexuality in gereal. I mean when my professor mentioned one of Obama's czars (I forget his name, not a great guy though) he also mentioned the guy taught homosexuality in the class room..... I shit you not the whole room gasped and with a reaction like that my school's GSA is NOT doing their job but ignoring it.

yeah im dissapointed :bang:

But maybe thats a good thing. :dry:

2. s5m1

There are a few times in our lives when we get to make a choice that can positively impact not just our lives but the lives of countless others. You are clearly concerned about the welfare of our community – I applaud you for that. Now, you have to decide what you are going to do with that concern. Perhaps your GSA needs a vocal new member with vision and leadership to redirect the club. As you said, it can be so much more. It just takes the right person to lead it there. Are you that person?

3. olides84

I agree with the previous poster. Of course, you can't just join a club and expect to lead it. But if you do join, just say at the meeting that the reason you want to be part of a GSA club is to have the opportunity to participate in and organize events related to gay rights, such as the march next week. There may be others in the club who want to be involved in that stuff as well, but maybe it's been put on the back burner for whatever reason. And of course if you get a lot of "that's not what this club is about", then you can move on and find something else.