1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Thread of Drag-tastic Glory...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Daniel, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Daniel

So tonight I am doing drag again. Shocking huh?

Anywho, I know that drag is a large part of the gay community and was wondering if anyone had any experiences with drag they would like to share?

Or just a general discussion as to whether drag is helpful or harmful to the LGBT community as a whole?

Or who is your favorite Drag Queen or King?

2. Astaroth

Well, I haven't gone to an actual drag show dressed up (seen them though), but I've always thought that if I did perform in a drag show, my costume would imitate a geisha (or in this case, gay-sha, lol) with the colors white, black, and red as the 'theme' for my kimono and a big paper fan to hide parts of my face to make it sort of a coy performance. It's not something I've seen at a show yet, so at least it would be unique.

As for what impact drag has on our community, I find that a lot of straight people actually go to drag shows because they are so interesting to watch. While I'm sure a few walk away thinking "my god, what freaks" the majority seem really pumped and enjoyed their time. I don't think any one facet of our diverse community is really a bad thing because we see stories of people becoming our allies due to these things too.

#2 Astaroth, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  3. Stuie

My only experience with drag has been when the orchestra for our school musical this year decided to have dress-up nights and one night was drag. Even though a majority of the orchestra was straight, most of the people got into it, which was good fun.

We went out for dinner at one of the local restaurants a huge group of us of about 25 people all in drag, which was entertaining for all involved. The area my school is in has a large LGBTI population, so it wasn't so out of the ordinary there, I think.

I had lots of fun and I think I'd like to do drag on a more regular basis to be honest.

4. kettleoffish

I dressed up in drag for a fancy dress thing at band camp a few weeks ago. I looked so hot :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. I'll put a pic up on my profile when i get home (trying out this new mobile ec thing atm)

5. xequar

I have a friend up in Toronto that does drag for a living. One show is usually enough to pay his rent, between the fee and whatever tips he gets. It's really fun to watch, and I know how much work and time he puts into developing acts, and he has an entire room that is just drag outfits.

I think if people take it for what it is, which is an act, a show, a form of entertainment, it's a lot of fun. If people get too worked up over it, that's where the issues start.

6. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not into it, kind of boring.

7. Just Adam

i like a good drag act i think guys can look super hot in drag XD

8. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The idea of doing drag intrigues me. It must be awesome fun to make a living doing something like that. I would actually like to try doing drag at least once myself. I'd probably get shot at by the farmers if I did though. I'd be worried about my super-broad shoulders, although my equally broad grandfather did drag once for a square dance and looked cool.