1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gay pride

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by biladneedshelp, Oct 2, 2009.

1. biladneedshelp

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    what is gay pride i have not ben to one

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm assuming you mean "gay pride festival" (since you've "never been to one"). It's just a get-together of gays, lesbians, and bisexuals. An excuse to party, mainly, but with a bit of a purpose. "Pride" is the opposite of "shame", and it's a way for us to show that we're not ashamed of our sexuality.

Lex

3. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Yup it is a big party, most have the aim of raising some money for LGBT organisations.
    Manchester Pride here in the U.K is pretty big the pride event itself runs for about a month with various things happening in the city. It all culminates in the 'Big Weekender' which is 4 days of partying including a huge parade and a 'Candlelight Vigil' on the last night of pride.
    The Candlelight vigil this year was aimed at HIV and was quite heart wrenching.
    A fair few people will bitch about pride events.
    My simple take on it is until same sex couples can walk down any street hand in hand and showing the same affection 'straights' do here in the U.K without issue then the U.K will always need the pride events.
    ANyone who says pride is just about half naked people and the sexualization of everything just plain hasn't been to a pride event or hasn't opened there eyes.
    It's a complete mixture of everyone from everywhere and while there are 'some' half naked people.. so what? During the party phase of pride that not a bad thing!