1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

German Pride

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AnimeFan4Ever, Oct 10, 2009.

1. AnimeFan4Ever

In Indianapolis now, I hope to move to Los Angeles
    So over the past few days I've been feeling really proud of my German heritage, like Wednesday was National German-American Day and October is German American Heritage Month, Friday my German class had our own little celebration in honor of it, and today I participated in Indianapolis' German Fest, which was really fun, cold, but still fun. So anybody else here have any strong German roots, like a very German last name or any known family still back in Germany?
    I guess just for the hell of sharing, my last name is very German, and even though the blood may not be as strong as it was 125 years ago, we still have some family in Heidelberg that own a bakery named Bäckerei Göbes and some closer relatives in Schweinberg that own a company named Göbes GmbH that produces interior door.

#1 AnimeFan4Ever, Oct 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2009
  2. RaeofLite

Wow that's pretty neat.

My dad's side of the family is German too. And I've been to Germany twice. An amazing country and pretty friendly people. Yay for German heritage. :slight_smile:

Haben eine guten tag!

3. Lychee

My last name is very German, except I'm not posting it, because the stalkers are watching :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    My fam are from Austria

4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I understand I'm distantly tied to Germany. My dad's family has German heritage, but I'm not sure how much. I do know that my last name has German origins, and apparently once WWII started they moved to America and changed the spelling. Again, I only know this from hearsay in the family, so I'm not 100% sure. I do feel slightly German, so I can be proud of that.

5. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really have any connection to Germany, but I have to say some German guys are fuuuccckkkiinnnggg hot.

6. RaeofLite

I think it's just the accents. Damn they are sexy. Seriously... they are way underrated and told that they are 'rough' but seriously... female Germans. Mm. Sorry I'm getting off topic... Hee. :grin:

7. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have any German heritage that I know of (almost 100% Italiano here) but I am enjoying my German language class and it's making me appreciate the language and culture. :slight_smile:

8. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't say your surname without putting on a really heavy German accent :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I have German blood in me way back, but not that much. I did study German for six years, though.

9. zoeee

i'm german :slight_smile: i also live in germany. don't agree with you guys on the accent topic tho, german accents are just awful

10. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ya, agreed, one of the best looking guys i ever saw was German

11. KnightAssassin

how did you know we were watching , jk lol german accents are so friggin hottttt i have a class with 2 german exchange students and i know a little german and i talk to them some times just to here there accents ..... i wish i was german ..... <3 german accents

12. Corny

Corny Guest

By heritage I am as German as you can get :wink: :slight_smile:wave: zoeeee)
    Native speakers either say I have a "funny" or a "continental" accent. I still don't know if this a good thing :wink:

It's quite interesting to read about "German pride" from your point of view, because frankly - this is quite a touchy topic here. Luckily ever since the soccer world championship in 2006 things are a little bit less uptight and people more at ease with showing "German Pride" (you still probably shouldn't call it like that, unless you want to be placed in a right-wing extremist corner).

13. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    honestly i don't agree with pride over anything one has no control over. Be pleased with your origin, sure. I'm quite pleased i have swedish origin, sweden's an awesome country. but pride? no. Be proud of something you have achieved, not proud of something you only have by sheerest accident.

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One week at my college, they had "celebrate your culture week". My roommates and I had some rather gallows humor about that, since I'm of German descent and they were both Jewish...

And I have yet to find anything NON-German in my family tree. All last names with very harsh consonants. :slight_smile: Don't do much with this heritage, though. We have a couple of incense smokers in the home, and I do like me some bratwurst and spatzle. Don't like beer, though, which probably negates all that. :slight_smile:

Lex

15. Corny

Corny Guest

You are very right here.

Haha .. I would say so. Although lately more and more younger guys are not drinking beer anymore but only the mixed beers ("alco pops") or sweet hard liquor. It's a scandal :slight_smile:

16. zoeee

i dont like beer very much, just mixed beer, its called radler.
    :slight_smile:
    :wave:
    where abouts in germany are you from?like, north or south?

i know, first thing i thought when i read "german pride" was like, woops, whats this about? like some unpleasant experience with some neonazi idiots or what? but luckily it isnt :slight_smile:

17. kettleoffish

I'm half German, we go there once or twice a year to see my mum's extended family. She's from the South, near Stuttgart.