1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia in small town Canada?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MusicIsLife, Oct 11, 2009.

1. MusicIsLife

How bad is it? I'm curious.

I live in a really really small town 1900-2000 residents, but its 95% french so I don't associate with a lot of the people in said town, and I dont really look outwardly gay, so I dont get any harassment at all.

So im wondering in other parts of canada is it as bad as the states, or is it generally more accepted?

2. Greggers

Wow, i totally am the poster child for this thread :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I live in a small town, one of those "people only come here to die" towns :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: AKA the suburbs! We dont have a movie theater. We need to go to the town next to us that is half the size but happens to have one.

Ok. Now that you have the backfo (background information) comes the story. I can walk to 7 churchs in 20 minutes or less from my house. The "least" conservative of them i would say is the old Lutheran church, so thats quite sad. The area i live in is church town middle-class suburbia. Homophobia and Racism seem to thrive here. At my dinner table on Christmas and other such occasions the talk is mostly of anger towards east Indian farm workers and homosexuals in the universitys. Ive had iced beverages thrown at me as well as many (many) hurtful words. Most of them come when i walk my half-poodle dog, make "gay" hand gestures or movements, or people overhear my conversations. Over the summer it was really bad, but since school started for some reason its happened alot less, but it still happens. I have no doubt that this homophobia comes from two places: The churches and the schools. The churches i have been to in this town (circa 4) have all preached against homosexuality, some going as far as grouping it with murder and rape. Combined that with the schoolyard attitude of "gay" being THE single most insulting thing a kid can say to another kid and you have a very un-friendly environment towards gay people. Like most of the suburbs however, what you see on the outside is not what is really on the inside. Its all fake. People like to pretend homophobia isnt a problem by basically just ignoring it. No one likes to admit they are homophobic until confronted. To see it you really have to be the one dealing with it.

In short: Its a problem, here atleast.

3. SolitaryKnight

I live in NB. I find quite a few people are actually pretty accepting. Though there are still traditionalists who would scream 'sinner' if they saw a gay person. Though the mayor of Fredericton is a big homophobe apparently.

I also found out this weekend that the new principle at my old high school is a lesbian. If only she had been there about 7-8 years ago, might have helped me out when I was young and confused.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friend Blair grew up in a tiny town in Nova Scotia. I'll see if I can get him to post his story.

5. RaeofLite

Took the words out of my mouth Greggors. Mom says if I ever visit my hometown with a gf to not hold hands, and what not. Some people are 'rednecks' with shotguns in their trucks, beer or drugs on their person and jesus under their belt.

:confused:

I come from a town with 4000 people, and 600 people were in my highschool (from my town and a few others). I'm kinda glad I didn't piece together pieces till the last months of senior year. Things need to change big time.

6. ColdNight

ColdNight Guest

Used to ive in a very small town, and it was slighty homophobic. Now in Peterborugh, heh, no one is here.

7. Fargo

Fargo Guest

I come from a small "city" in BC that homosexuality is the absolute worst thing you could be. Hell, crack heads and homeless people get more respect than I do. I used to have a numerous amount of friends until they decided to conform with the rest of those homophobes. But then again, even the homosexuals dislike me in this town, so maybe I'm just not that like-able xD