1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depressing Statistics

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AzThRg0, Aug 7, 2007.

1. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  2. CrimsonThunder

I would agree with many of those.

3. downboyup

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    god - not easy not being a part of the larger herd.

4. Kimi

• The typical high school student hears anti-gay slurs 25.5 times a day.
    • Teachers fail to intervene in 97% of incidents involving anti-gay slurs at school.
    • 78% of school administrators say they know of no lesbian, gay, or bisexual students in their schools, yet 94% of them claim they feel their schools are safe places for these young people.
    • 42% of homeless youth self-identify as gay/lesbian.
    • 42% of adolescent lesbians and 34% of adolescent gay males who have suffered physical attack also attempt suicide.
    • 15% of LGB youth have been injured so badly in a physical attack at school that they have had to seek the services of a doctor or nurse.
    • Gay and lesbian youth represent 30% of all completed teen suicide: extrapolation shows this means a successful suicide attempt by a gay teen every 5 hours and 48 minutes.

THAT is very bad and sad:icon_sad:

5. Vampyrecat

Its very true. I hate school. I wag on average once every couple of weeks, because I don't see the point of putting myself in an environment where I cop shit for being lesbian. I hate it. I've tried to commit suicide three times, and still, nothings changed.
    School is for straight people only. If your gay, you're a freak.
    fuck school

6. Jerr

Ok, about the teachers not intervening.... you know that probably involves someone just saying "thats gay!" At one point in time it was a REALLY popular thing. lol It might still be I don't hear it as often as I did like 3-4 years ago.

I don't really believe the teacher thing because most of my teachers couldn't care less...
    Now one teacher HATED a gay student and it had something to do with him being gay but it was only because he came out and other students would call him queer/fag n all that and the teacher would get onto them and they would say he said it was ok... and he was telling them they could call him that... I hate gays like that.

7. CrimsonThunder

At one point in my life I probably used to say "thats gay" all the time, I cant say I remember it though.

8. Bryan

Wow, those are some upsetting figures. the more I think about it, I realize how true it must be

9. emerald

Yeah I'd agree with all those things.
    I hate school. That stuff about it being the best years of your life seems like bullshit to me. I've got my final year coming up and I'm dreading it. It's the same shit every year. Someone (or a group of people) breaks into my locker. Teacher sees it, does nothing. Principal addresses the school about being nice to everyone at an assembly, but never mentions being gay. Bus drivers hear stuff on the bus, they laugh. I hear, "Haha you're a lesbian," a zillion times a day, everyone else ignores it. Girls freak out when they find out they have gym with me, even though I'm in the locker room for about 8 seconds. People will throw a hissy fit over the GSA, parents will complain about perverts in the school.
    It's not the most endearing thing in the world.

10. Choucho

Maybe I'm just a pessimist but some of those figures are actually lower than I would have expected.
    Doesn't make it any less sad though. I hate school so much. I hate when people say "That's gay" it makes me aslkdjsakl. I've never said it, because I just find it dumb. >.< How did that even start?
    School fails hardcore. It really does. I'll be so happy when I'm done.

11. Zorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You know for being in the bible belt, my school doesn't seem to have too much trouble. As for the teacher thing, once in my sophmore history class, we somehow got onto gay marriages, which eventually brought some kid to say a slur. There was a girl in there who was a lesbian, but not everyone knew. The teacher knew, I suppose because she gave a great speech about how you should think about who's around you. I had had the girl in a weightlifting class a year before, and she was really nice and quite pretty. She was pretty strong, too. I also know of a gay boy at the school, who seems to be pretty well accepted. He's friends with tons of people. One day, at lunch, I heard someone yell "happy birthday, fag!" to him, and he just smiled and waved. I don't know if he was friends with them or what. Also, one guy made the mistake of asking me to join a club he was forming called the White Plauge. (He sat next to me in History and talked to me all the time.) He goes on to explain that the club was basically a group of people who hated mexicans (wtf!?), gays, lesbians, and others. I couldn't believe someone would actually start something like that. After sitting in disbelief, I told him that was the most bigotted (sp?) thing I had ever heard, and there was no way I would ever be a part of it. Luckily the bell had rang, so I could just leave. He still talked to me everyday, though, showing me song lyrics he wrote and crap. I wonder what he'd think if he knew? Sorry about the long rant, but I thought it seemed to fit. Those stats are awful. although the ages seem about right.

12. Andy21

Those stats are terrible. Makes me thankful for being in the UK. Apart from the odd dick trying to look cool, I never heard anti-gay slurs at school. Actually, I'm sure many of my classmates wouldn't have even cared if I told them, or they'd at least have the decency to bitch behind my back.

As for the teachers at my school, they were nothing but professional I must say. I can't remember hearing anything bad from them. But everyone has different experiences at school I guess, and I'm sure the good report I'm giving you is only because I live in the countryside.

13. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am e-mailing those statistics to my principal so they know what they are dealing with. Those are just sad and need to be dealt with ASAP! Those are just depressing!

14. SpikySpice

I reallized bout it when I was only 7

And that is sad, we should ban those teachers for teh gay sake, luckily we havent heard anything like that from our school

And my school is anti-lesbian, not gay, which are also sad, cuz some of my friends are les

Highschool is such a horrible place to dwell, it;s dangerous, they dont koll you by knives or guns but by their posonous words

And as I mentioned before more gay male use alcohol, cuz they dont knwo what to do, they use drugs to forget bout their lives, which is sad, and of course tehy got more peer pressure and die more than others

Thanks for the link, I;ve learned alot from it

15. xequar

High School... Nothing more than a waste of four years of my life. High schools are not equipped to handle anything except the average B/C student (U.S. middle-of-the-road grades) that has friends. If you are a poor student, or an excellent student (as I was), or if you are in any sort of minority (like being gay), the school administration and staff simply does not know how to adapt.

16. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Lambada is a reliable source. Upon reading all that, I wonder why in the hell their are still people out there who believe being gay is a choice! I'm going to try to copy it to MySpace.

17. jman77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    um... basically all that stuff does not happen in my school

there are only a few people who are out in my school and they are kinda the loners but they were before they came out so it isnt the basis of that... people will say "thats gay" but if its heard by a teacher then they get a mouthful... its not allowed at all and i can say i have never heard an anti-gay slur by any of my teachers

once though my global teacher was just saying something that no one was paying attention to about rosie o'donnell and stuff and mentioned it in her speach but didnt mean it bad because all throughout the year she would say that she didnt care what people are... just something about working hard in school idk no one really paid attention lol

but it is true that conversations on gay people doesnt really exist... we did have an art teacher who was a lesbian in middle school but she didnt allow conversations about it. once my friend was just saying that his cousin is gay and she was like no talk on that. but it was worse for the person who used gay in a bad way... she would like beat them lol not really but you get the point

my school is very... racist... but only in words... if that makes sense. graduating class it about 140 and everyone is republican basically. everyone knows everyone from 9-12 but if it came down to it and people who were "popular" came out then people wouldnt care. i am out to some people and they have said if you decide to tell everyone and someone says something we will beat them senseless for you lol i was like um.. thanks. :lol:

18. CrimsonThunder

Great idea Behling!

19. Double Dubya

Hermmm Becky, this looks familiar :icon_bigg

WW(*hug*)

20. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all