1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay a mile away...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Daniel, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Daniel

Okay so I joined the LGBT group at my university.

And in this group there is a huge variety of people. Nicknames are given and what not.

But a topic I found interesting was that there are people that can be told are gay "from a mile away." I was labeled as such as well as my tom-boy friend Chris. We jokingly call each other "Mile Gays."

Have you ever encountered people you could "tell" were gay from a distance? It is a question of flamboyancy, butch-i-ness, and gaydar. Is it possible to tell people are gay from a mile away?

2. Totoro

I guess people probably consider me that- or at least any high school friends I have think I'm gay. Otherwise nobody else seems to say so.

There's a mass aura of flamboyancy at my high school, coming from one person. I don't know if he's gay or not but I've heard many say he was...

I think this is a matter of fitting stereotypes >_< although some people who fit the stereotypes aren't always what they seem- so it's not always possible to tell...

3. RaeofLite

If I decide to "butch up" once in a while with guy jeans, a shirt, lack of make up etc, I nmight be considered a "mile gay".

That's cute though, I think I'll start using it. :slight_smile:

But if I'm dressed femme, or just casual I don't think I'll be considered that, unless I bring out a wallet or my rainbow keychain.

4. Greggers

Apparently im a "Mile Gay" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I mean, i know i do everything and then some that is stereotypical of a gay person when it comes to my hobbies and such, but i never thought i looked gay. I dress in alot of American Eagle and brands like it so im not wearing a giant pride flag or anything.

Apparently i act and talk gay though? Ive been outed at random quite often and thats what its always traced back to. (ok, that and "OMG i want to jump Ryan Reynolds bones right now!") I dont have a lisp, but i talk like a woman im told : - / and i often act like a 15 year old girl so i can see how that would give me away...

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apparently when I was in high school, everyone knew I was gay two years before I knew. :S Go figure :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Daniel

You see I was told it was the sling backs that gave me away...

7. AtomicCafe

Haha, that's a brilliant name! I'm going to start using it, too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I've never had a person assume I was gay... until today, when a girl I've spoken to maybe once asked me how the Pride Parade was. Granted, I had on two gay pride buttons, a rainbow stamped on my hand, and a gay shirt.... Just on days like these!

8. Mickey

I don't know about a"mile" away,but ,yeah,I got the LOOK! I ,too,think it's us stereotypical gays that kind of stand out.
    A lot of people tell me I "look" gay,and that's cool with me! I don't wear the flannel shirts of have my hair real short,but I do love my jeans and tees!
    The funny thing is,my friend,Ann,looks more gay the I do and she's super straight!
    She's been asked,on a few occasions,if she's gay. It doesn't bother her,in the least. (which I find cool!) I guess my point (and I do have one!) is that you can't always judge a book by it's cover.
    But I definitely think it's the "stereotype" that gets picked out the most! Yeah for us!

9. partietraumatic

yeh there are definitely some people who you can tell from a mile away are gay. Its a mixture of the clothes, the walk, the posture, how they talk and their actions when they talk. Some people its just so obvious.

However i wouldn't say i was one of these i don't think. I think you'd only guess i was gay after knowing me a bit longer.

10. Just Adam

im not sure you can even see peopel properly at a mile away yet alone tell if tehy are gay...

11. Jeimuzu

People wouldn't know I was gay, from six inches away, if I was getting screwed at the time. It's really annoying. It's not like I'm stereotypically straight or anything, and despite the insanely colourful clothing and all that... people still go "You? I'd never have guessed..." and mean it.

12. Shevanel

Both my parents were surprised to hell. All my friends. It's kinda funny really. But alas, I'm Bi and not gay xD

13. Daniel

I came out and my mother asked me if I wanted more potatoes.

14. LeonaRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's actually amazing. LOL

15. AllSmiles

Gjorde hun det??

I know a couple of other gay guys. I met one of them one day when I was shopping. Suddenly one of my friends was there with one of her friends. I actually noticed something about him, just couldn't figure out what it was. Then I got home and wrote with my friend on MSN and said that her friend looked cute. And then she said, that he was gay. Then I realized, that that was thing, that I had noticed

16. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to the Mile Gay Club. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. paco

paco Guest

short answer yes.

look for v-necks, clothes that fit just right, accessories, pretty hair and the walk that shows off the mobility of the ass. but my favorite is the hand that lands on your arm or shoulder when you go talk to them.

#17 paco, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2009
  18. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    lol people can't tell I'm gay even when I'm directly in thier face but then again a cheerleader that spends 40 minutes straightening her hair doesn't scream lesbian so I can't blame them

I am friends with some "mile gays" though :grin:

19. maz10

LMAO I actually do that all the time lol.

20. Tim

Tim

Everyone I've told weren't shocked, except the people at the Food Bank who know. They all were like "SERIOUSLY?!" XD

I don't like announce it, if someone cares enough to ask, I'll tell them XD