1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Husband/Wife, Partner etc..

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by emerald, Aug 7, 2007.

1. emerald

Okay so this was something my husband and I were talking about with a few friends a while back and for some magical reason I was just thinking about it. So I was wondering about what you all think.
    So my question is what do you call/plan to call the person you end up spending your life with? Do you/ would you use term wife or husband if you got married or whatnot? Or do you prefer a title like partner or just sticking to girl/boyfriend? Or lover. Etc etc.
    So some of the adults may already have figured out what term they like and the teens might know what term they like best but is there any reason you like it the best?
    Personally I think I'm going to go with the term wife but some of my friends thought that was too hetero-ish I guess? And since you all know Jacob and his randomness, he came up with the term "Second penis."

2. Jim1454

I would think 'partner' is the term I would use, but it would also have to be OK with my 'partner'.

3. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We had a similar discussion about this a few weeks ago. For me, I think it depends on the person I am with. I prefer spouse. However, on occasion, I think wife would be best suited, especially to get the attention of the person I am telling - say for instance, someone who doesn't know I am gay. But really, I think it will come by trail and error with the end result being what feels right.

4. kevinx519

id prefer husband, but it all depends on what my partner would be comfortable with. i dont think that the title, husband/wife, should only be used for heterosexual couples.

5. Psych!

Psych! Guest

Partner or Spouse would be the best, but it really depends on the person.

6. Choucho

I still say I would use second penis, but I'm just weird like that. Or tuna sandwich (because I read somewhere that tuna was a synonym for handsome).
    Or hubby. Or... I don't know. I'd use everything.

7. Sam

Sam

Well if I am in a relationship I usually say girlfriend but if I meet someone who I feel like I will be with them for long term or the rest of my life I would I will say partner.

8. Alywishous

Ive always thought girlfriend and boyfriend sounded very un stable like changing who youre with like a pair of underwear. So I'm trying to call my gf my girl cuz it sounds more mature. But I hav no idea what Id call whoever Ill spend the rest of my life with thats kinda hard to imagine forever is a long way a away

9. SpikySpice

I'll never get married, but my paartner can call me his husband, which is odd

No wife for me, maybe

But I'll call him as a bf, which is odd wen we get to the age of 80

10. thecoolmexican

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've always fancied the thought of saying "my girlfriend" or "my wife". Like, "my wife has an inner ear infection" lol.... or something like that you know? For some reason, I never really liked the term "partner". I don't know why. But anyway, the whole girlfriend or wife thing just always felt right for me. I love the sound of it (it rolls right off my tongue) So, I would defenitely love to call the woman of my life, my wife.

You know, if she let me.

11. Kat22

My girlfriend and I have talked about it briefly, and IF the time comes for us to get married (we don't care what the rest of the world calls it, our "legal binding" will be a marriage) we will be wives. I agree that there is no reason "wife" and "husband" should be exclusive for heterosexual couples.

12. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I will refer to her as my wife.

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I really think it is sweet and romantic when people call their spouse their "beloved".

14. Kimi

I might stick to call him boyfriend if I got one. But I also might use term partner depending on the situation. Calliing him husband is bit too gay for me I guess:lol:

Well, I might call him husband if we got married.

15. LorenzG1950

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Kimi you are hilarious. What do you mean "too gay" for you?

Personally, I prefer "partner" but I do joke around with other terms and other people have asked whether I am my boyfriend's husband :lol: .

16. MissyJ158

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If I got married to a woman I'd happily call her my wife, but probably depending on who I'm talking to I might just call her my partner. I like both, but wife is more loving. Partner is sort of business like don't you think? lol

17. Moth

I'd probably use wife... maybe partner in some instances, but generally I like wife. It seems a little more... I don't know... binding. Or something. It also tends to make me think more equally of homosexual and heterosexual relationships... I think if homosexual couples use the word "partner" or "girlfriend/boyfriend" all the time it makes them seem different, because heterosexual couples who are married don't say "partner" generally. I do like the term "lover" though because it's romantic, but it doesn't seem very binding so I probably wouldn't use it as much. When talking directly to my girlfriend I probably wouldn't use terms like "dear" or "honey" because I don't really like those for some reason, but I like "love." I think it'd be so nice to have somebody to say "Hey, love," to.

18. Gera-Kun

Hubby!!!! That's what'll i call him!^^

19. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'll probably call him my husband, or what ever makes him happy.

20. 24601

I would probably say partner. I don't like the word husband, really... I might use it occasionally. But for the sake of reducing awkwardness, probably partner.

Second penis, :roflmao: