1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A disgusting article from a disgusting paper

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by partietraumatic, Oct 16, 2009.

1. partietraumatic

Okay so over here in the UK we have a paper called the Daily Mail. Its famous for its open and blatant racism, classism and homophobia.

This is an article appearing today,about the recent death of gay former boyband member Stephen Gatley.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1220756/A-strange-lonely-troubling-death--.html

I think its a pretty disgusting article. If you read the last couple of paragraphs she seems to be insinuating that gay people are not capable of having monogamous relationships,and that all civil partnerships lead to orgies, death and drugs.

If you cant be bothered to read the article this quote in particlar annoyed me:

'Gay activists are always calling for tolerance and understanding about same-sex relationships, arguing that they are just the same as heterosexual marriages. Not everyone, they say, is like George Michael.
    Of course, in many cases this may be true. Yet the recent death of Kevin McGee, the former husband of Little Britain star Matt Lucas, and now the dubious events of Gately's last night raise troubling questions'

2. AtomicCafe

I hope that, when I die, it's after I've gone around, broken my marriage vows, and slept with a dozen people and injected heroine, thereby getting AIDS. Because that's what a gay person is supposed to do, dammit!

Oh, please, please, please tell me someone is going to complain in a letter to the editor and start a giant boycott of that paper.

3. olides84

I agree that it is disgusting. Unfortunately that's what tabloids do - they need to sell papers so they show no respect and they make up drivel, while trying to place everything in some larger social context.

4. Gaetan

Setting aside the homophobia...I don't care who they were or how they died, you don't write about cold, dead bodies being left until morning. Even if that's how it really was, you don't invoke that imagery in an article about someone's passing. That's not what a memorial article should be about.

5. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you know what i heard?? I heard the author of this article was.... *gasp*... gay!

but seriously, that was drivel. unfortunately, drivel often sells.

6. LeonaRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gah!!! I fucking hate the daily mail!!!! Stephen Gately died of natural causes how the hell can they place the blame on him being gay for that! *insert really foul string of explatives here!!!!!!!*

They did that with the whole emo scene thing aswell, just because some people nowadays do tend to go around being 'depressed' for a trend [sorry but a lot of them do] they suddenly decide that people with genuine mental health issues are all going to go try get attention by harming themselves. And apparently it's the music's fault.
    Screw you DM you're gonna get your offices burned down one day, preferably with you all in it!

7. Ben

Ben

The Daily Mail isn't exactly an obscure paper either - it's the second best selling after The Sun and just ahead of The Mirror...
    People in the UK should know that these are not the finest things to read if you want to know the news. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. xequar

Quoting for truth. I'm in the U.S. and I'm quite well aware of the Daily Mail and the regular filth they publish.

9. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    Okay and people in the UK actually read this paper? one simple question why? I had a look on google about it and it just seems to be racist homophobic garbage
    *hides all the American racist homophobic tabloids*

10. Greggers

a) I dont think there is anything wrong with getting around. Its not like the gays invented it either :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: *sigh* why do people think only gays do these things, and why do people think that is is so wrong?

b) So many gay couples have happy healthy relationships, but its not like The Daily Mail is going to tell anyone that. The media is so bias these days its sad. They never EVER report on two sides of the same story. I have to watch two bias channels with opposite points of view to get a clear understanding, and even then its hard.

11. WTF? So because a gay person died, "troubling questions" have been raised?

News flash, fucking idiot newspaper. EVERYONE DIES.

12. olides84

13. Greggers

14. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

As soon as I heard that he had died I just waited for people to point the blame of his death on his sexuality before hearing the facts! Makes me SICK.

15. Just Adam

i just find this funny.

its teh fucking daily mail... the people who read this shit are idiots...my family read it...theyre idiots... tabloids an kiss my ass.. broadsheet all the way haha.. please this piece of crap paper allways has a cheap shot at people who live different life styles...

i find worse where teh part where they said he had no talent and was just there to be looked at like posh spice...

i find that worse... imagien his parents seeing that :frowning2: they can expect the anti-gay agenda but to smear mud all over his carrer is sad.

16. LeonaRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quote from a Twitter tweet that made me giggle.
    LOL / RT @alandavies1 Jan Hates Poofs Moir thinks you can die of gay. Quick,gays,take her clubbing,she might cark it. < haha that made me laugh so hard.

17. Cynic

In Loving Memory Regular Member

I honestly don't take tabloids very seriously. They're almost on the borderline brink of appearing like satire to me.

18. LeonaRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True story there. They're like fiction writers but their writing sucks so bad a tabloid's the only place that would print it

19. jazzyspazzy

jazzyspazzy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    that was the worst article I think I've ever read. nevermind the blatant homophobia, the guy who wrote it should definately not be in journalism. for god's sake, I could have done a better job!! it makes me sick that these guys are getting paid to write such bollocks...

20. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

I read the Daily Record. They are very pro gay! :slight_smile: The have a half a page article on an 18 year old that set up a gay pub in Aberdeen! Going on to say how much a success he has become and such. Brightened up my day no end! :slight_smile: Not all the papers are like that.