1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

luck

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sam, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Sam

Sam

how many people here believe that there is bad luck and good luck?

It seems like bad things keep happening to me and I feel like I have constant bad luck. when is my luck gonna change?

Is there such thing as luck? what do you think?

2. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hear you. The same happens to me :frowning2:

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You need to turn your thoughts around. You are focusing on the bad luck and the universe is bringing you more. Yeah, I know, I'm kind of a new age nut but I truly believe this. It's the Law of Attraction. Just try focusing on the good things in your life and giving thanks for it. If you start to think of something that is going on that isn't so good, just tell your brain to stop and then think of something positive and happy. Your luck will change. Try it. :slight_smile:

4. Jim1454

Ummm, Becky - don't focus on this too much in your presidential bid, ok? :icon_wink

Seriously - I have to agree. I prefer the expression 'self fulfilling prophesy' - where if you expect bad things to happen, that's likely what is going to happen. Not necessarily because of some kind of negative energy field or something. But just because if you're negative, you're likely moping around, not trying new and interesting things, somewhat fearful to meet new people or stretch yourself, etc. As a result, you're less likely to have 'good' things happen that you get enjoyment from, and more likely to experience (and dwell on) bad things in your life.

So - on a similar note - be positive! Don't think of it as luck - but as you having an impact on your own destiny - in a positive way. :eusa_danc

5. Kimi

I don't really believe that we have bad luck or good luck.

I think you heard it at least one time, someone says "Everything ment to be happen" that is more I believe in. And I also think if bad things happen, that means there are or were good thing happen or happened.

So I believe "Bad luck + Good luck = 0":slight_smile:
    And be sure to smile a lot!! It seems to me that more I smile, more good thing happen:icon_wink

6. Sam

Sam

well I actually haven't been thinking negatively so I don't know why bad things are happening because I'm always thinking that something that is going on is going to be positive this time and it always turns out negative I don't know I guess to some point if you think positive then positive things will happen and if you think negative then negative things will happen but right now exactly the opposite is happening I think positive and it turns out negative so thats why I kind of think luck is somewhat real.

7. Kimi

Then maybe it's in your one of hardest time of your life.

I think every simgle person will or had experienced that. I don't know if they actually realize it but I think everyone has that kind of time somewhere in their life.

I don't think I had that kind of time yet but like I said I might just not realized it.
    Because I'm super positive person:lol:

8. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

The law of attraction has proven itself a number of times in my life. People always say opposites attract, but in truth, it is the other way around, similar attracts. So if always dwelling on the negative, you will attract it to you. Same with people, etc. Self-fulfilling prophecies, very true because it is a part of your basic make up and if you try to change external things without changing a low opinion of yourself (ie., I am never going to amount to anything) then as you try to change what is happening to you externally, you will get to a certain point, perhaps with victory within your grasp and you will then do something to mess it up. Again reason is you do not feel you are worthy of that good thing happening to you and will sabotage yourself.

The power of positive thinking is quite awesome, but you have to make the necessary changes within as to what you really feel and think of yourself first. Always counter the negatives with positives, it works in time.

9. LorenzG1950

I think Kimi and JayHew are right on. At least from my own experiences, we can have a big influence on what we call "luck". That works for bad and good. If our day starts poorly, we sometimes look for more nasty things to happen, and they do :eek: . That's not bad luck, that's bad attitude.

Conversely, if I go out of my way to do something nice for someone or make someone happy, I get it back three times over, and I feel good about the whole day. That's not good luck, it's something I did to get a positive result out of the day. Granted this doesn't work for me every day but it sure has rescued some lousy days, just one nice thing happening.

It's also easier to blame things on "luck". That allows us to place the blame somewhere else rather than on our own attitude :icon_bigg .

10. 24601

I agree with the above two. I don't put much stock in the supernatural or anything like that. I believe luck is something we have invented to blame bad occurrences on, while good luck seems to me like a way of demeaning ourselves and our own personal effort. That being said I still say bad luck sometimes, :lol:

11. Jim1454

Ok, well let me try to put another 'spin' on this then...

The other thing I've made a point of doing is looking for the positives in everything!!! "Every cloud has a silver lining!" "Look at the glass as half full instead of half empty." There is truth to those sayings as well.

Are there things you've learned from some of these bad experiences? Have they prompted you to meet anyone or do something that you would otherwise have never done? Perhaps it is somehow preparing you for another 'curve ball' that is coming your way.

So look for the good in things, even if you have to say "wow - that was really :***: , but it could have been a lot worse!!!" :confused:

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    :roflmao: I'll try not to Jim. Seriously, this is the first time I've actually said this but I've used this logic with a number of people on here. JayHew agrees with me! So I'm fully "out" now. LOL

13. SpikySpice

I agree with everyone, bad luck is a chance we can blame on instead of others and ourselves

I'm not sure about good fortune and misfortune, all I know is if you think it's bad then it's bad luck, and opposite. Sometimes it's just some experieneces for me to learn, and get ver all the bad moments and smile at the good oments

I'm not sure about superstition, I'm not sure about God who drives our lives. Like someone say "it's your destiny.", so taht means God is all behind all of this

But I think you have to take control of your life, bad or good are your products.
    Here is the rule to remember in the future, When anything tempts you to be bitter: not, ''This is bad luck'' but ''To bear this worthily is good luck.''

14. Moth

I believe in luck, but in a sort of different way... like I don't believe black cats are unlucky or that kind of stuff. And I do know that what others have said about your attitude is largely true - the more positive you think the more likely things are going to go well because you've got a good attitude about the situation. When I want something, I try not to think of all the negative things and how unlikely it is that I'm going to get it, I try to think of all the positive things and what I'm going to do to get it and how it will pay off in the end. That being said, while your attitude does greatly affect your life, I still believe there is luck to some extent. Luck would be how lazy people who don't care at all have easy, comfortable lives, and how ambitious, positive go-getters can end up poor with lives that are practically a train wreck. A lot of it is attitude and choices, but I think luck plays at least some part... and I think everybody has some good luck and some bad luck. I don't really think there's a lot you can do to change your luck, I think it's sort of predetermined how much luck you've got and when it's going to surface. When your luck is good, things just seem to fall into place, and when it's bad, everything seems to fall apart despite your best efforts. No matter what kind of luck you've got though I firmly believe that every person has the power to take steps to improve their own lives, and sometimes that's really all you can do, is look for and take those steps, however big or small they might be.

Hopefully that wasn't too confusing and contradictary... I have sort of different beliefs concerning luck. But either way, I agree with everybody else - think positively and keep your head up.