1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in 'your true love'?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Étoile, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Étoile

Do you believe that there's someone in the world made for you, someone you'll spend the rest of your life with? That you'll eventually end up with your true love somehow, some way?

I've always thought so. It seems a strange and almost supernatural idea. I am a hopeless romantic, so I like to daydream of the positive, whimsical parts of love.

2. RaeofLite

I think it's possible that you have one to three people you can truely fall head over heels for. At least in my opinion. I think I've already met one of them, but who knows? *shrug*

3. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    I believe in it. I think I'd probably be miserably lonely if I didn't.

4. x2x2x2x2y2

I admit I'm a bit of a romantic too but I don't believe there's only one person out there for you. I don't think that fate chooses who you are going to be with. I just think it's simply us just living. We choose who to be with.

5. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely! I'm a crazed hopeless romantic, so I believe there is someone out there to complete everyone. I don't necessarily believe that people always know right away who that someone is though, it may be someone you’ve known forever as a close friend, or someone who’s just met you yesterday. I love to think of the idea of soul mates meeting by complete chance, and love developing out of that. Maybe I watch too many romantic movies, but I deep down know that there is someone for everyone. Besides, there are much crazier theories out there than true love.

6. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

You can have true love without having 'the one true love'.
    I mean, you can meet that perfect person who completes you without having it pre-assigned to you.

So no, I don't believe in the true love that you're talking about, but I do believe in true love.

7. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    Well I'm a hopeless romantic and I do believe that there is such a thing as "the one"

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's utter bullshit.

There are two MAJOR problems (and more minor ones) in believing in having that one true love. First off, it means that absolutely everybody else is wrong for you. So you'll start discounting guys because they don't fit the ideal. "Well, he's nice and caring, but he's not as cute as he should be." "He really should be taller." Or if you DO give him a try, if ANY problem arises - which it will - you'll immediately start thinking "Gee, this isn't perfect sailing, so this guy must not be the right guy." It implies that people are like Superfection pieces.

...OK, just read that they don't make that game anymore. So quick explanation. There's a bunch of colored pieces. Each piece had exactly one partner that, when placed together, formed a cube. You had to make all the cubes, and then put them in the bin before time expired.

[​IMG]

And secondly, relationships are not easy. It's not just the matter of finding the right guy, eyes locking, music swelling, floating over to each other, kissing, happily ever after. Sorry to say, but it's the real world. There are problems and issues to be worked through at all given times. Yes, having someone really compatible makes it a lot easier, but it doesn't mean they all take care of themselves.

Relationships aren't found. They're built. They're built by two people who love and care enough to put in the effort to make the relationship strong, and make the relationship work. And that's why people in stable LTRs often feel so proud of them. Because they didn't just get lucky, although you might say they were lucky to find the right person to build with. They're proud because they've actually accomplished something worth being proud of.

I don't want people to think that "any old guy will do". You need someone who is compatible with you, who you click with, and who clicks with you. And someone who is willing to put in the effort with you. And that's perhaps where the luck and magic comes in. But there's not just ONE person out there who fits this description. There are actually many. Your job is to find one. And then start building. :slight_smile:

Lex

9. This, basically.

Edit: And what Lex said.

#9 Drizzt DoUrden, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2009
  10. haelmarie

People change. I mean, if my true love was assigned to me a year ago, I probably wouldn't even like him now. So no, no "one and only" for me.

11. SilhouetteDream

I agree with Corina and Lex, that "the one" isn't pre-determined for you.
    There could be multiple people who click with you.
    And what if that one person who is your perfect fitting puzzle piece is all the way in, I don't know, India? It's highly unlikely you two will ever cross paths just because that person completes you.
    And I think because of this, there are multitudes of people who can be your soul mate.

12. GhostDog

I think it's statistically unlikely that I'll never run into someone who's compatible. =P There are a lot of people in the world! There has to be a decent number of 'em somewhere who would stir up mutual feelings of Awesomeness!

13. AtomicCafe

Lex is made of utter win.

I used to think there was, in a way. Of course, I also believed that it would be statistically impossible to find this person in a world of 6 billion. Now, I just disagree with the entire idea. Yes, I believe most people can find love somewhere, but no, I don't think it's unconditional and perfect.

14. Rygirl

I believe that we will all find someone who makes us happy someday, some of us are lucky enough to have already found them, I don't know if there is only one person made for you, I just don't know about that.

15. Derek the Wolf

"True" love doesn't mean anything. You're either in love or you're not. Some people you feel stronger towards, some people you don't feel anything for. Once again Lex beat me to it: relationships aren't something that just start and it's happily ever after. Things take time to build and grow and become that level of what you're thinking of.

There's no 1 perfect person out there for you to find. There are potential people you could fall in love with everywhere.

16. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

I believe that there is more than one person made for me, they just happned to be spread apart.

17. Greggers

My true love is Luke MacFarlane.

[​IMG]

But seeing as i will never get my hands on the Canadian hottie, I guess i dont really believe in True Love. :frowning2:

Its all about two things that are kind of the same: Settling and Compromise. Everyone has many many many people they can live happily with, but none of these people are as perfect as Luke MacFarlane so you have to make do with what you have. Your perfect man is 6.4? Settle for 6.2 then. You find someone who is 6.4 but has a weird big toe? Look past the bad to see the good. No one other than Luke MacFarlane is perfect, including yourself, so you just have to cut people some slack. High expectations will kill more relationships than anything you could do while actually in a relationship. Its just cutting out people in your "dating pool" before you even start looking. When you are LGBT your dating pool is generally much smaller (i guess Bisexuality in theory makes it bigger though?) so you really need to keep doors open.

18. LeonaRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Has to be said after being screwed around in the same way over and over again I'm a complete cynic and gonna go with no. Noooo and I hope I never find one.

19. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to believe it, because it would mean there's at least one person out there who I could have a relationship with, but I seriously doubt it.