1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Job! :)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Paul_UK, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Finally I have managed to escape from the bottom rung of corporate IT and get a job with some variety where I can achieve something!

For the last five years I have worked for an American corporation with sites all over the world who have grown through acquisition. They are centralising everything so us at site IT level are having less and less to do, and ever reducing responsibility, so are getting thoroughly bored. The network runs as a snail's speed because of all the junk corporate IT put on the PCs, so the users complain. Just for good measure, communication with management is a joke.

But I'm leaving on 2nd September, so it won't be my problem any more. :grin:

We will be on holiday in Cornwall for a week, then on 12th September I start with a small electronics company close to home, run by someone I have worked with before. I can't wait!! And being close to home I won't have to get up at 6am and face a 1-hour drive each way any more. Money - well it is a bit less but that will be covered by the saving in petrol costs.

Just thought I'd share that and celebrate with a few dancing bananas!

(!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!)​

2. goratrix

Cool! congrats! and nice dancing bananas... :slight_smile:

IT management always sucks, there are of course, a few exceptions, but enterprises (in particular big ones) don't usually spend a lot of money in IT... or not nearly as much as they should anyway.

3. TriBi

First the holiday - then the new life :icon_wink
    Sounds pretty cool to me - enjoy! :biggrin:

4. Micah

Awesome news! Congratulations Paul :grin:

5. Aaron

Aaron Guest

Woohoo!! Sweet deal....sounds more exciting that tuition bills and bus passes... :bang:

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That's certainly true.

This particular corporation has a single European data centre in Manchester which hosts the Exchange email, intranet, financial applications etc for all European sites. Each site has a 2Mb external connection, all of which combine on a single 4Mb connection into the data centre. So there are several thousand users trying to access email, plus many hundreds of Terminal Service sessions, Intranet connections etc., all going through that one 4Mb line. Then they seem surprised when we complain that it's slow and things keep timing out - yet nobody wants to spend money on more bandwidth.

With the ongoing moves to centralise everything (anti-virus management and Windows patch management are next, then using the SMS for remote software installations) it is becoming apparent that they want to get rid of the site IT roles and run the lot centrally. It'll all end in tears.....

Our site is currently in the middle of a load of messy corporate politics. Two corporate managers and a HR manager turned up last week and now the senior site manager is "on holiday and considering his future". Another site manager's position is also looking uncertain. Of course there has been no official announcement, so rumours and speculation are rife. It's all helped to convince me that I am making the right move by getting out.

Only 3.5 days to go (Monday is a public holiday here, and I'm finishing at lunch time on Friday). :icon_lol: :icon_lol: