1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgender Week

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AtomicCafe, Oct 25, 2009.

1. AtomicCafe

Quick question for people more creative than I:

My LGBT club on campus is having Transgender Week (more like 3 weeks) toward the end of November, and we're trying to think of events. I'm looking for some input on what you would want to see go on.

Some examples of what we have: Ask a Tranny Anything (which we want to rename someday), Transgender movie marathons, and panel discussions with trans folk. Can't remember the other events we've been brainstorming.

So, what would you add? Give as much detail as you wish! :slight_smile:

Also forgot to add: we may have a Gender-Bending Ball like we did last year. Everyone comes to a dance dressed as the opposite gender. However, someone worried that people would find this offensive. Is that offensive?

#1 AtomicCafe, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  2. fallendream

cross-gender clothes day, wear the opposite genders clothes for a day

3. haelmarie

I'm not sure if this would be possible, but a Transgendered Art Day would be kind of neat. Like bring in pieces of art (poems, paintings, etc.) by transpeople. It would give a trans-perspective that just talking can't.

4. AtomicCafe

Like those ideas!

Also forgot to add (may edit my original post in a second): we may have a Gender-Bending Ball like we did last year. Everyone comes to a dance dressed as the opposite gender. However, someone worried that people would find this offensive. Is that offensive?

5. Daniel

I am not sure I have any ideas right off the top of my head but I will discuss this with my group here at Buffalo and let you know if we have any feed back.

I think there are several members who would find it cool if we had a trans week.

6. AtomicCafe

It's one of those things that I think most campuses need. Overall, gay students get attention at some campuses, but there are few to none that recognize trans students. Thanks so much for consulting with them!

7. isabella

IN HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! New York State
    i think that u should have a trans campus field day were people that support sexually orinates and people of difffernt sexual orienta compete with each other to see who is good at what

8. JakeBHT

I wouldn't find any of that offensive (certainly not the crossdressing thing..gives me an excuse!)

9. Miles D

how 'bout something for Transgender Day or Remembrance?
    at our school I think we're going to make head stones with names & dates or birth/death of transpeople who have been murdered.
    it's not fun & exciting, but it gets out a much needed message.
    [1 in 12 transpeople is murdered.]

----------

but I like the cross-dressing or gender-bending dance. :slight_smile:

10. AtomicCafe

Mediumdietcoke -- you actually reminded me of something we need to incorporate somewhere! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Our club has about 100 sandwich boards of people who have been killed in various hate crimes. We pull them out every once in a while for events, and considering so many of them were trans, I think they deserve some more airtime. I'm going to check now if we're doing something for Day of Remembrance...

11. Steam Giant

First of all, it's amazing that your campus does this! It's very refreshing to hear! :slight_smile:

Those are some great choices so far, including the Gender-Bending ball (and no, not offensive, in fact I think it's a great idea)!

I like this idea a lot, too. It's a great way for people who aren't transgendered to show their support, and a fun event for people who don't have an opinion either way, as well!

My only suggestion would be to try and arrange for someone to come and speak at your school, like a prominent speaker for transgendered persons. I've always found this sort of thing inspiring, so it might be worth looking in to (though perhaps too short notice for this year :frowning2:)!

12. AtomicCafe

Oh, we usually have speakers. :grin: Forgot to mention them. I can't remember who we usually bring in, but there are some people from the local LGBT community group and gender alliance, as well as a number of people who just like to share their experiences.