1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating someone of another religion

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Étoile, Oct 25, 2009.

?

Would you date someone of another religion?

1. Yes, and I'd celebrate all of their holidays/commemorations along with mine.

36 vote(s)
    58.1%
  2. Yes, and I'd celebrate some of their holidays/commemorations along with mine.

16 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Yes, but I wouldn't celebrate their holidays/commemorations.

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. No

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. Étoile

Would you date someone who was a different religion or had different beliefs on religion than you?

I think I'd be able to. I myself am a freethinker, so no one's beliefs would conflict with mine. I do like to celebrate Christmas for the presents and happiness (not because of Jesus) and birthdays.

2. ColdSnap

Anyone who took their religion too seriously, regardless of what it was would be a no in my books

3. NickT

For note, birthdays aren't really a religious thing. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But yeah, I'm an atheist, but I wouldn't mind dating a theist, so long as he didn't try to convert me or let it dictate our lives. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

As for holidays, I'd still celebrate them if my boyfriend/husband wanted to, or if we had kids and wanted to be nice to them for a change. Then of course there's family; we'd have to celebrate holidays with them anyway. >>

4. haelmarie

I don't think I could date a Christian, because in their eyes, I'm going to hell.

5. Étoile

I thought that but I know of some religions where birthdays aren't celebrated.

6. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ideally I would prefer to be with someone who shares my beliefs; I would not deny myself a relationship over differences of religion though. I could see myself being with someone who's religiously my polar opposite, and that would be fine with me. As long as neither of us is wholly consumed by the idea that our religion is superior things could work out. I don't know if I could be with someone who is completely against any sort of religion though, because every person I've met who is against believing in a god of any kind has always been out to prove every single person who does believe in god wrong, and I don't think I would be able to be with someone who couldn't at least respect my views.

7. Yay! Another thread about religion. Makes me feel so warm and fuzzy inside.

But yes, of course I'd date someone who didn't share my religion. And yes, I'd celebrate holidays with him. But I probably wouldn't date, say, a Satanist.

8. ethelred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I voted for "yes, and all holidays." But this could not be a "really into it" thing, I wouldn't date someone who is way more religious than myself. I'm pretty easy-going though and don't really have the desire to force holidays other than Christm-ah fuck it, Yule and Halloween, because those are the most pagan holidays and are widely accepted (in the US). Hell, they're practically secular now anyway.

But if we insist on Easter, I'll have issues; that holiday is so cut up and weird it is unbearable, and slapping Jesus on top is just strange.

9. Greggers

:lol:

...but yea, anyways, my answer would definitely be yes. If we play the "He's perfect, but..." game i don't think religion would be on my list of things, its a non-issue for me. To each his own, mutual respect, treat others like you would blah blah, ect. If he is non-religious i would expect him to celebrate Christmas and Easter with me even if he didn't believe it. If he was Jewish (is that a word? o-o) or Muslim i would definitely celebrate his holidays without a second thought. Any other religions i would not know too much about so before i commit to celebrating by eating the raw heart of a baby lamb i think ill do my background research :slight_smile:

I personally do celebrate Christmas and Easter as part of my religion, not just corporate manufactured holidays. They are both important to me and are times i like to be around those i love. It would kill me to have my loved one not want to spend such a special day with me.

10. Étoile

I forgot about Satanism. That's one I couldn't celebrate no matter how hot the guy was. :lol: Or any religions that require animal or human sacrifices or me eating or drinking anything bizarre or any mutilations.

The only thing I do for Easter is eat chocolate bunnies, so I wouldn't mind my boyfriend not celebrating it. But Christmas (the commercial side of it) is a must.

11. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

im not religious so i said no. i have no problem with any one that is religious. if someone believes in god thats fine, but anyone that is gonna be with me needs to respect that i want nothing to do with that kinda thing.

12. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

It wouldn't bother me if they were so long as they: don't try and convert me, Let it run out lives and force me to church or other religious establishment. If they stuck to that then I would have no problem. Other than that I probably eat them alive(in the mental sense xD). But in other ways I just can't stand it!

13. ethelred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, but I must step in for the satanists: if they are Church of Satan satanists, then it's really all just a farcical version of Catholicism that focuses on self-reliance and not letting anything get in the way of enjoying the human experience. The rituals involve candles, simple voodoo doles, ritual daggers, and cloaks, but no one eats raw goat's heart or strangles puppies. There is 'black magic' but in a more 'anti-prayer' paradigm, as in I am the prime mover in this desire and action.

In any case, satanists aren't about worshiping Satan and evil, but about worshiping the self and not believing in God or the afterlife. They are an anti-church, the adversary of the Abrahamic cosmology. As such, they adopt that theatrical mystique of evil and hell to scare the shit out of people and have some fun.

So, dating one wouldn't get you into anything terribly weird, and even if it could, they won't force you to do anything you don't won't you to do. And if you don't, they certainly aren't going to harbor any bad feelings. However, you might butt heads if you subscribe to a more conventional belief system.

14. jazzrawr

Most likely. I mean, if they were extremists of any religion they wouldn't be in a lesbian relationship, so it's not like I'd have to deal with a religious fanatic.
    I'm pretty laid back, so I'd celebrate with them. Holidays of any sort are fun. :slight_smile:
    If it's what they believe in, go for it.

15. Yeah, that would be the problem for me. I understand that humans by nature are self-centered, but to actually worship yourself and/or pleasures is just... not something I want to be involved with. Plus, I'm sure there are people who join simply because of the black magic stuff or the fact that it's sort of the antithesis of Christianity, and those are a big no-thanks for me too.

16. Greggers

I would not date someone who is part of a religion like that. It would just never work. The second they even hinted at being a part of this the shit would hit the fan and i would be GONE :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: S'fine if you want to do that and i wont try and interfere, but im most likely not going to socialize with anyone who does. Personal stuff.

17. Amy

Amy

Yes. Absolutely.

^This.

XD

I totally would date/be in any sort of relationship with a Satanist as long as they understood and respected that I am not my own god and that I do no harm.
    I think that Satanism is hella epic.

#17 Amy, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  18. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If I liked someone enough to date them I'd celebrate their holidays with them
    no question
    with the obvious exception of Satanism or any religion that supports harming anyone

19. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm an atheist. I dated a guy once who came from a conservative Christian family and that didn't work out well.

So I don't know. I would have to consider how much their religion impacts their life.

20. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Option 1; I'm not religious, but if my partner wanted to celebrate holidays, that's fine by me. I'm so used to celebrating both Christian and Jewish Holidays seeing as my family is Catholic, and my stepfather's family and my uncle's family is Jewish (my uncle married a very religious Jewish woman).