1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what makes life worth it for you

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GoBabyGoGo, Oct 30, 2009.

1. GoBabyGoGo

what do you look forward to

what makes you happy

whats the meaning of life..lol

?

2. Shevanel

Love. I'm sure theres more. But my brain is currently focused on Love I guess.

3. paco

paco Guest

surfing.

4. Working/being with kids.

I remember when I worked as an after-school teacher, I had to take care of a girl with down syndrome (she normally had her own teacher, but she was running late that day). So I took the girl and my regular fifth grade class to the gym, where the kids started racing each other. One of the fifth grade boys kept beating everyone, and the girl looked at me and said, "He's fast. Can I race him?" I smiled, said go for it, and asked the boy if he wouldn't mind racing her. He agreed, and when I waved my arms down for them to start running, the boy pretended to trip so the girl could take the lead. She was so incredibly happy when she beat the fastest boy in the school.

Watching someone do the right thing without being told to do it -- that makes life worth it for me.

5. Shevanel

I concur with these last few posts as well ^_^

6. mattypants

i think i'd +1 for love :slight_smile:

7. shorty

Lust and laughing. Not sure about love yet. :slight_smile: Not sure of the meaning of life. But going to try and enjoy it while I can!

FlawlessError, thats a lovely story. :slight_smile:

8. Just Adam

umm...im sure ill think of one just give me a min....

umm...hmmm...i would say love but those kind of odds i cant waste my money on the bet...

i dunno what the reason or the point is im jsut here and allways will be...

9. Darkwing65

Mid day naps, Good conversations, going on long hikes, Beauty in everything

10. Amy

Amy

Right now?
    My future.

11. haelmarie

12. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The hope that someday I'll do something worth wild.

13. Stuie

Learning, music, love, life itself, nature, being happy and making other people happy. That's pretty much everything I can think of. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. tokwa

When you'll be remembered.

15. LivingInLyric

Making other people happy and sharing moments of uncontrollable laughter :grin:

16. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Oh boy, this post is going to be a long one. I guess its time to earn my custom title.

what do you look forward to
    For most of my life, I looked forward to things. I looked forward to high school as a reprieve from middle school. I looked forward to senior year as a break from all the things I didn't like about high school. I looked forward to college as the end of what I didn't like about high school. In each case, I was disappointed. In each case, I found that though the superficial aspects of life may change, that life itself remains very much the same.

Since then, I have given up looking forward these major transitions in my life and I now recognized them as simple milestones; nothing else. I rarely look forward to things anymore simply because experience has shown that they are in no way guaranteed to be good. I still look forward to things that historically have rare disappointed me: my birthday, the holidays, a visit from my parents, hanging out with certain friends, etc. Aside from those rare exceptions, however, I live in the moment, for in the present there is unlimited potential, and things we don't like can be changed.

what makes you happy
    All the things that make other people happy: a good book (nonfiction in particular), a good friend (ones who stimulate me intellectually in particular), a good movie (comedies in particular), a good walk or bike ride (by a river or beach in particular), a good meal (spaghetti in particular), a good video game (Rock Band in particular); when a friend does a favor unasked with no hope of reciprocity; when I do something nice for someone; when I accomplish something that was difficult and took a lot of practice; when I accomplish something that wasn't difficult but took a loot of effort over a long period of time. Of course, these things are all fleeting; what really makes me happy is discussed bellow.

whats the meaning of life..lol
    Ah, the meaning of life, a question that has plagued me for far too long. This very question was probably the cause of the depression I felt for most of my high school years. Why? Because I'm a nihilist. As a nihilist, I believe that life is inherently meaningless, without purpose, and lacking any tangible value aside from the value that we give it. We go through a billions-of-years long period where we don't exist, we then exist for a few decades, and then we don't exist again for a few more billion years. Our life is nothing more than a blip on the cosmic radar, and it's hardly that. This may seem needlessly pessimistic to you, but as a person who is relentlessly logical, it's the way I think about life.

For the longest time, these beliefs depressed me badly, and I found myself unable to really enjoy life to its fullest. All of my happiness was superficial, since it was just an attempt to distract myself from the depression that could always be right around the corner. However, I recently found out about Nietzsche's theory of the overman, a man who acknowledges life as meaningless and lives his life to the fullest regardless. Because life has no intrinsic meaning, he creates his own. Because life has no true purpose, he embraces all parts of his life. Because his life has no given value, he gives it value by treating like a work of art. I think that is the meaning of life: to recognize that life has no meaning and to live regardless, to be the overman. And that's what really makes me happy: being the overman.

17. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My cat
    The existence of love in the world
    Knowing people need me every now and again
    Hot fudge sundaes, and waiting for someone to share them with
    Random acts of kindness done by or for complete strangers
    The feeling that someone out there is doing the same thing as you at the same exact point in time
    And I am secure in the knowledge that things can and will always get better, no matter how hopeless they may seem

I could go on all day; those are just a few things that I live for...

18. MusicIsLife

Music, and the whole culture behind the concerts I go to. It makes my faith in humanity return, because everyone looks out for eachother, and usually no one is overtly mean or something.

19. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

Music the drive to be with someone. Live and do things I want to do.

20. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Those perfect little moments. They are very brief, but they rock!