1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

all-(insert gender) schools and the questions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by girllove, Nov 1, 2009.

1. girllove

i've always wondered why parents would send their kids to an all-(insert gender) school. Wouldn't that be promoting same sex love?? I mean, come on? Who else is there to make out with? The janitor? hahaha i wonder if the people who go there are bi/gay for life rather than being L/G UG. what do u guys think? honestly, i think it's a playground for those of us who swing that way:grin:

2. littledinosaurs

The whole idea to an all-boys/girls school is to eliminate the distraction of sex(at least for high schools). It's based on the idea that everyone is straight. But women's colleges are (generally) for women to go to school and get a great education while stilling keeping the school's history of being a place where women could go. But most of them are lesbian hot zones anyways. (like Smith, Simmons etc)

3. Lychee

I go to an all-girls school, and have since grade 6. The reason I go there is because it has been proven that girls learn better without boys, but boys learn better with girls. This is because lots of girls feel that being intelligent isn't sexy, so they try to dumb themselves down if there are boys in the class.

All-girls schools have a different atmosphere. Yeah, they're more bitchy, and you're judged on your clothes and stuff, but they are really nice in the way that there isn't a distraction of there being hot boys around. No one at my school would think about "making out" with anyone during school hours, coz that's not what we're there for.

Also, as we don't have that large of an emphasis on sport. The school does hold inter-house (like the Hogwarts houses) sport matches at lunchtimes, but the emphasis is more on having-a-go than the elite sportspeople playing. I know that if I went to a co-ed school I would definitely not be participating in sport for fear of embarrassment.

As for the whole gay thing, everyone assumes that because I go to an all-girls school I'm a lesbian. But really, I don't know anyone in my school who is openly gay. I know two people are bi, but it's not common knowledge, they just told me for some random reason.

4. Apocalypte

I went to an all-girls Catholic school from 2nd year to Leaving Cert, and seriously hated it. The amount of cattiness was absolutely insane, and if anyone had even the slightest suspicion that you were anything other than straight you'd be ostracised (both by students and staff, prefects in my school were picked on the basis of academics - I was top of my year in exams and wasn't picked because I triggered half the year's gaydar). Academics were relatively strong, but subjects like languages and history were pushed far more than the sciences, which annoyed the crap out of me.

Strangely enough, I felt much more comfortable when I went to college and was in mostly male-dominated classes. My graduating class was 90% male. I think I'm just naturally quite butch/masculine-brained!

5. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

To add both boys and girls learn differently, So sending boys and girls to public schools is a basic education while school for girls emphisize creativity and boys schools emphisize group work or somthing like that, I forgot. Private school is more efficent at helping students learn while public schools is basic. Its also an expected golden rule to throw your child out of private school by grade 9-12 so they can get a daily dose of real world socialization. It has way more to do with than sex.

Now the LGBT high schools like the one in NewYork are amazing. I think they are still at 99% graduation rate because the kids there feel accepted and cared for something a lot of schools rarely do for students. Plus the school eliminates bullying something a lot of schools think they do. Students feel safe and not weird.

You can look at schools like Juliard, sure its a college but if all the students are intrested in the same thing and are surrounded by people who understand and can relate to them, you have a happy student who is happy and greatful to be learning. So an all boy's/girl's are full of their people all guys, all girls. Upperclass, motivated, students who are intrested in the same thing. Equality so to speak.

So separating students by schools isnt about sex but done and pushed for so they have a better opportunity at learning at a socialy less stressful enviornment for a larger portion of the students who go there. Now the foundation is there for a socialy less stressful enviornment but we know that is not always the case.

#5 Legnaj, Nov 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2009
  6. Just Adam

all i can think is i kinda wish id gone to an all boys school lol...might of gotten a better education and i dunno might of been nice.

7. wherewulfe

i go to all guys school...to be honest, i cant compare it to anything seeing thats the only High school ive gone to. but from what i see, there is a lot more homophobia...atleast when a gay guy comes out in a public school they have girls who like to have gay best freinds to fall back on. for me...all i got is myself

8. Paragon

Paragon Guest

my 8 year old cousin has just started going to an all boys school and he will be for the rest of his education...
    Hes not the most boyish of little boys so im wondering, even though its impossible to tell with sum1 so young, could it affect him? idk

9. girllove

yeah i guess the enviro really depends a lot on the people( so profound haha) but still, don't you think that the rates of gay people are higher in same sex schools? I guess that's just a stereotype. I wonder if it would be easier to be a girl or a guy if they were placed in same sex schools. i think guys seem to be more homophobic than women, but that's just me

10. Lychee

No.

11. Agreed. I think, if anything, the rates of homosexual activity might be higher, but not rates of homosexual people.

12. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. If you're gay, you're gay, the school you go to isn't going to change your sexuality.

13. haelmarie

It's funny you mention this, because where I live, they're planning to create a public all-boys school.

I absolutely loathe my all-boys school. 99% of the kids are complete dickwads. I would be far happier in a co-ed school, or even a more academically-driven all boys school, but my school is somewhat notorious for attracting less than savoury characters, so I don't think it's purely the all-boys factor.

I'm somewhat skeptical over the claim that it makes a difference in education. I think a motivated student is going to do well, no matter where she or he goes, and a run of the mill student will continue to be run of the mill wherever she or her goes. It's a really a choice up to the student to make.

14. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup, this.

Also, keep in mind that in all-boy schools less and less guys would want to come out of the closet because the whole alpha-male thing will be going on, and there won't really be anyone for them to relate to, whereas in co-ed more guys would come out because girls generally are more accepting than guys.

15. digsy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to an all-boys Catholic school for 6 years. I really enjoyed my time there, 4 years on my best high school friends are still my best friends. However, I would never have dreamed of coming out while at school. Maybe that would have been different at a co-ed school (or maybe not). And yeah, there were a lot of assholes there, but there were also a lot of great people. When it comes down to it though, if I ever have kids they won't be going to a one-sex school. I think learning daily social interaction with both genders is too important.

16. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    the girls' school and boys' school kids i know as a trend seem to be even more sex obsessed than us co-eds.

17. Lychee

If I have kids they are most likely going to single-sex private schools for high school and co-ed public primary schools.

18. Stuie

My school is all-boys, however it probably has the highest proportion of out gay guys in the entire state. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: We have a large and active GSA, which is extremely rare in Australia. The GSA movement hasn't really spread here yet. The fact it is academically selective also probably plays a large role in it. The people there have to pass a fairly difficult academic exam to get in, so there's no really dumb bunnies here, so the majority of people (with a few exceptions of course) are very accepting, which is a really great environment for teenagers coming out, as the people in younger year levels have out gays to see, including ones who aren't so stereotypical.

However this also a product of our current school administration who are really willing to support everything they possibly can. Our sister school however, is a much less friendly place for lesbians as the administration has given a flat out no to any GSA thing possibly running. I think my school is more of an exception to the rule as well. It's a rather strange school anyway. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i went to an academically selective co-ed public school, the atmosphere for gays was kinda similar but not quite as friendly, i never knew of anyone being beaten up for being gay. There was a guy who was out of the closet from year 7 onward. I was friends with him from day 1 and never had an issue with him at all, but i know for a fact he was the subject of at least a little vilification. I had never heard of GSA before joining this forum. Sounds like you got it good dude!

20. dictionary

Single Sex education deals with the very basic issue that Males and Females are very different...

Research shows that a girl's brain is different from a boy's brain, for instance girls mature allot earlier than boys and the latest research on brain development suggests that the female brain if fully developed at 21 and the male brain is only fully developed much latter at 25/26

Because of this boys and girls learn differently and to generalise when given a task boys will take a relaxed (or lazy) stance and leave it to the night before whereas girls will generally stress and get it over and done with put quite simply how a male and female perceive a task is quite different where a boy will ask the question "how many" girls will ask "what colour"

In single sex schools; girls have a higher participation in maths and science subjects than in co-educational schools and boys will have higher participation in traditionally "non masculine" subjects and activates. In short, single sex allows children to just be themselves.

I have been at an all boys catholic school for the past 10 years, some would call that being institutionalised however this is an environment I have thrived on However there is a particular "jock culture" and I am under the understanding that in co-education this isn’t as prevalent but I could be wrong...