1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Australia: One step back

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Micah, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Micah

SOURCE: http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...internet-filter/2007/08/10/1186530542829.html

2. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That sucks!!!!

3. CrimsonThunder

I guess he didn't get the memo where Australia is FOR gay marriage. >_>

He didn't watch big brother how that homophobic bitch got evicted because of her views?

Oh well, hes going to be out soon anyway lol. (hopefully) whats Kevin Rudd's views on gay marriage Dave? I dont pay attention to politics.

4. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, that's a little extreme even for Uruguay... here, both parents usually work and parental controls are very uncommon.

5. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

I guess one would have to take things in perspective, likely Howard was speaking to a group of his staunch supporters, thus the applause. As in the US, the attitudes and feelings concerning homosexuals and at least gay unions is gaining acceptance. I feel most is steeped in the terms used: Marriage is actually a religious term and some object to it being used in something outside that idea. Civil Unions are State recognized, as is Marriage from long tradition granted from the State. Both hold the same benefits and meaning, whereas with the State it is a contract, with religion it is an official act between man, woman and God.

I suppose if the emphasis were to be taking off the idea of "marriage" there would be less opposition. Semantics may seem silly, but when dealing with religious idealism nothing is considered silly. I do believe that eventually civil unions recognized by the State will become the rule of the day. But unlikely marriage will ever be.

Overall, don't despair, things are moving towards a more equable future, it just takes time and eventually more enlightenment.

6. greg

Yes it is unfortunate that we have John Winston Howard as PM, a man stuck in the 50s, poor soul. By the way the polls are going in the lead up to the election (Nov.) his finished anyway, and may even lose his own seat, here's hoping.

7. Scoz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yeah howard is gone :slight_smile: yay . i talk to customers about it all the time and even his supporters say he out . Kevin will not commit to anything like that pre election but he is obviously pro rights for all . I just cant wait to get rid of my damn awa and go back on an award . but on the upside gay adoption is now legal in one state , so we cant really be going backwards :slight_smile:

8. MissyJ158

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ugh, I was over Howard the moment he stepped into the PM title. (Even though I don't remember it happening) XD

I hope Ruddy is Pro gay marriage.

I can't believe Howard said he'd only listen to christians or whatever you said (too tired to scroll back up and see). No religious group is supposed to have any sway in our government.

9. greg

Phillip Ruddick (antorney general) is the one that really scares me (he is the devil) as for the labor party supporting gay marriage/or recognising single sex relationships dont hold your breath both major parties (labor or liberal) pander to the middle class who are unfortunatly easily led by out spoken right wing bigots in this country.

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Oh my gosh.......it is scary to have people like that leading your country.

11. TriBi

Not for too much longer if the Polls are anything to go by.

Rumour has it that the election will be in November - and unless Kevin Rudd (and/or the Labour party does something really stupid...it will be "bye bye Johnny".

Not that that anyone really knows KR's true viewpoint on Gay issues (he is a pretty committed Christian) - but he is a VERY shrewd character - and far more attuned to the current groundswell of opinion than JH - so it would be hard to believe that the policies of his Government wouldn't be more accepting...

12. greg

Dear TriBi, unfortunatly the labor party has a history of doing stupid things though esp. before an election. The labor party is right wing these days, bring back Gough.

13. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

All y'all Australians have it better than us Americans though. At least your country doesn't have someone like Bush for a president. Bush put those conservative justices into the supreme court, and they're young and not dying anytime soon. American gays won't have their rights for decades.

14. hoping

In my opinion i dont think we will get the right to marry any time soon since most politcians are either very consevitive or just go by what most of their electorate wants. people may want gays to have more rights but they dont want to see two guys or two girls to get married. it may be different around other places in australia but around where i live its sort of like americas bible belt, alot of people here are very conservitive. i read somewhere where the democrates were saying to legalise gay marriage but i dont see them getting into power any time soon.To me it seems like australia is getting less gay friendly, from what ive heard about gay bashings and other crimes towards gays going through the roof. but u guys may think of it diffrently

15. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

The dems are weak, they won't do anything without a swift kick in the butt from the electorate. And even if they wanted to, the republicans have cemented themselves in so many high level places, nothing is going to change.

16. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Our government needs a real kick up the ass. Come on, even ISRAEL is recognizing gay marriages now!

The sooner that over-religious christian @$$ is out of our government the better. o(>_>)o

17. TriBi

This probably won't go down well - but I actually think that it would be better to push for "Same Sex Unions" (with all the appropriate legal rights) rather than "Gay Marriage".

My reason? Because the use of the word "marriage" itself is such a large hurdle to overcome with so many straight people (particularly conservative religious ones).

I honestly feel it would be better to forget semantics and strive to get something which would achieve the same in terms of legal rights and protection - with a name that is far more likely to be "accepted" - than to keep battering our heads against the the brick wall of the "Marriage is for a man and a woman" sentiment.

It just seems a far more sensible proposition to me to work toward what does the job (and would be more achievable) first - and worry about the name/definition later.