1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summary Stats from Study

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Swamp56, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I got a decent amount of data from the research study that I conducted here. Thanks everyone who willingly participated :slight_smile: . And for any of you concerned over the sexual orientation option, I'm not counting that in the data.

Anyway, if you want to see the data, here it is:

Research Study: GLBT Subjective Well-being
    {8,10,9,8,10,8,9,8,6,8,7,3,9,4,9,8,6,9,8,3,7,6,8,6,8,9,8,4,7,8,8,8,5,4,6,6,8,8,9,7,7,7,7,8,3,8}
    n: 46 (number of participants)
    μ: 7.173 (population mean)
    σ: 1.804 (standard deviation of population)
    r: (comp. to age): .154 (correlation)
    r^2: (comp. to age): .024 (coefficient of correlation)

Initially, my thoughts would be that μ would be lower than my control group. It wasn't; it was higher. The population mean of my control group was 6.81.

I'm not coming to any conclusions with this data, but it seems as if, at least going by this data, the average subjective well-being of the GLBT population is a bit higher than that of the normal population.

It is obvious, however, that there is no correlation with age and subjective well-being, seeing as the correlation is .153 (1 = perfect correlation, 0 = no correlation), and the coefficient of correlation is .024 .

#1 Swamp56, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2009
  2. donnie5

3. ethelred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe it. Western culture (and probably most cultures) has a lot of hangups over sexuality, so when we are forced with having to face those issues and deal with them, it becomes a non-issue.

My 2 cents.

4. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

There are many "theories" about most subjects like this, although the issue is that the subjective well-being isn't that much higher in this study. When you factor in error sampling, then the data of both seem to come closer together (hence why I don't make any conclusions).

5. s5m1

Do you consider EC members a sufficiently random sample so that your data is not subject to challenge?

6. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

No; I'm also not getting my data just from here either.

7. s5m1

Sounds really interesting. If you can, please share your final results with us when you finish your study.

8. Kaden

I wouldn't either. You should consider that if you exclusively posted this here, you have automatically biased your sample. Being able to come to a place like this, even on the internet, and talk openly about your sexuality is a big step that a lot of closet cases (who are more likely to be less satisfied with life) haven't taken.

Them darned confounds confound us psychologists

9. Halo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I do agree that being here on EC makes me feel better, I read about other people's struggles and sucesses that I can relate to in many different aspects. It creates a comfort zone, which indeed brings out 'happier' outcomes, positive feelings. Whereas when I am at work or other places in public I would feel "less satisfied with life" because I sometimes have to pretend or ignore that I am actually dating a woman...especially when I hear negative comments therefore my respond would be more to the negative side of the equation....although I was not part of your research, so I can't really say much...