1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Take a topic and run with it!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RaeofLite, Nov 9, 2009.

1. RaeofLite

I told my mom the other night that me and a couple friends want to go see Tegan and Sarah who will be touring the province soon. She asked what kind of genre they are and I said: rock, folk, indie etc. I told her they were sisters as well.

She wondered why she had never heard of them. I replied, "their songs aren't on the radio much but they're gay twins."

She did a double take. "Well are your friends all gay??"

I said, "a couple, but not the ones I invited to go with me."

She said: well you hang out a lot with 'so and so', is she gay?" "No mom. You don't have to be gay either to enjoy their music."

*sigh* Do any of you encounter the same thing? Listening to singers and songs that relate to LGBT artists or themes and having people take the topic and run elsewhere?

2. Greggers

Yup, its almost impossible to convince people that i actually like the music i listen to because they assume i only listen to it because its "gay".

90% of the male artists on my iTunes are gay or bi. 100% of the female artists on my iTunes have a big gay following :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I am just a showtunes and pop music junkie, and those generes are good to there gay fans, but make no mistake i listen to it because its just the music i like. The way i see it is "Gay music" isnt a genre, its a category. You can have all different genres UNDER "Gay music". Pop, Rock, Rap, Country, even Gospel music. You can find it all by gay artists, but they are all different.

3. RainInAfrica

The amount of crap I get for listening to Lilly Allen . . . . .

4. Paragon

Paragon Guest

^
    WTF why?
    lily allen is huuuuuge!

5. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Yeah. I mean this is kinda off topic but same idea. I like movies in general, I admire a lot of the low budgit independent horror films out there though its not my favorite genera. I mention I love movies like SAW I, Kill Bill, There will be blood and other movies that involve violence in them. I like my movies because of the story lines and all the other technical movie stuff...what do other people see. For my birthdays and celebrations I get really really bad horror movies because apparently everything I watch is scary, bloody and weird. I hate slaher films but the videos keep coming. ugh.

Same with my broadway music. I love Spring Awakening. Everytime it pops up in the car i get a (actual quote to describe the average message portrayed to me) "EWW its his gay music change it. hehehehe" shit from people. Why? Well because there is a scene/song where the gay guy and the bisexual make out.

Its like damn, is that all you see? Then it makes me wonder what they see in me but thats a whole nother story. If anything I have hit back with "Eww its your black music/ Spanish music.":lol: gets the message across.

6. Eccentric

I don't think anyone actually knows what kind of music I listen to...Off the top of my head, gay musicians I listen to loads, I can think of Tegan and Sara and Brandi Carlile. But yeah, people don't really care what music I like. I'll share my iPod and the response is usually just, "Ooh, what does andy listen to? Oh, sounds like country/rock/whatever. OK."

7. Amy

Amy

I heart Lily Allen.

EDIT: Can't Get Pregnant in The Bum

8. GhostDog

Haha, my best friend described one of my favorite bands (Vermillion Lies, as it happens) as "Lesbian music". Yes, one of the sisters is gay, but I... honestly have no idea why she called it that. One song references bisexuality specifically (Bonnie and Clyde), and another's pretty clearly about a girl pining for her lady-ex that left her for a guy (Louder), but that's sorta it!

I had a conversation with this same friend that went sort of like this, though -

Her, "See, I like Pink. She has a voice I can respect. A lot of women have these high wimpy voices and I'm just not into that."
    Me, "I like that, though! ... Come to think of it, most of the singers I listen to are women."
    Her, "That's because you're a lesbian."

She does regularly poke me a bit about how much more gay I'm looking lately. But it's in an affectionate, "Aww, my widdle Kirah's growing up! Into a huge lesbian!" sorta way though. =P

... Also, my brother laughs every time he comes across me listening to Pink. Because I have such a huge and obvious crush on her. But I LIKE the woman's music! If her music sucked, I wouldn't listen to it, no matter how hot she is. (The fact that she IS so hot is just a bonus. A sweet, sweet bonus.)

Meh, anyone who actually teases me about it has been really supportive of me, though. Most of 'em are joking around. =P

(Slightly OT: I totally want to go see Tegan and Sara when they tour here, though I'm having trouble drumming up interest among my friends to go with me. >:[ The one girl who said she would've wanted to go if she were closer lives in Oregon, rawr! But omg, very excite! I totally want to see them live. <3)

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Never had that problem. None of my favorite artists ARE gay, as it ends up. I have favorite artists that are notoriously gay-friendly but not gay (Gary Numan) and those that actually aren't that gay-friendly (Prince). They might dig through and find the Tom Robinson Band or the Tegan & Sara or the REM and decide that I like them because I'm gay, but they'd have to skip over a thousand artists that aren't to get there. :slight_smile:

On rare occasions, I'll be accused of liking something because "it's gay". Most notably disco music in general. But it's not like only homos bought the Bee Gees, despite what anybody might say today. :slight_smile:

Lex

10. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah! Did you see her apples!?

11. Markio

Other gay people look at me like I'm crazy when I don't recognize Lady Gaga or her music.:dry:

12. Zero Beat

Dude, your not alone. :grin:

13. djt820

I was not aware folk and indie were gay now.