1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaydar..

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RaeofLite, Nov 11, 2009.

1. RaeofLite

OK, I don't ooze gay. Sure I could "seem gay" if you happen to catch me talking about exs or checking out a chick... But seriously, when I cut my hair this summer, peoplc ould really tell. It wasn't short and spiky short, but it was... short enough, yet feminine when I wanted it to be as well using wax etc.

That's what I basically used to help peek people's gaydars and get recognized as a fellow lesbian to the other ladies.

Now my hair covers my ears, and I basically have a longish Katie Holmes bob. I dress all over the spectrum so depending on what I'm wearing, I can appear straight (aside from the eyes that wander to the ladies). ><

My worry is... that I won't "seem gay enough" to the fellow gays on the street or be recognized anymore. That and it's annoying when guys try to pick you up at bars. (We don't have gay bars where I live) :frowning2: I obviously am gay... but hair was a big thing for me). But it's winter and it gets pretty cold here so I want something to still cover the ears.

Is there any other way I could work on "oozing gay" lol, without going totally butch?

And are there others with this problem?

2. guacj

Rainbows usually work! Dressing butch-like would be the best thing to do probably when you go out and want to pick someone up.

3. Emberstone

I have often considered if I should cut my hair short and style it, and save up and eat ramen so I can get some nicer, more gay stereotypcal clothing...but unfortunatly, metrosexuality has blurred the lines so much that I dont know if it would help... plus... I cant be bothered to style my hair.

Hard to send signals when the hip thing for guys seems to look like the stereotypical gay guy.

4. paco

paco Guest

i used to have that problem a little more than i do now, its pretty uncommon to find a gay surfer, let alone a gay surfer going to a catholic school.

but i've been trying to dress a little more trendy without giving up my own style and i've been wearing rainbow wrist bands (yes, more than one) so its a little more obvious now. but i still think that most people have found out because i tell them, talk about guys, or because i'm in a GLBT club on campus.

5. AtomicCafe

Dressing butch isn't always great when picking girls up! My gaydar, for example, is pretty good and I can pick out most girls, and I love girly-girls. Your best bet with me, at least, would be dressing like in your avatar. xD

Anyway, I use rainbows and gay pride buttons on my bags. Have a gay pride bracelet that I always wear. Some people have found cute earrings with rainbows or female symbols. Smile at the ladies all the time!

6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to wear a rainbow wristband or something if I want to get the message across. Some people seem to pick me up as being gay instantly and others have no idea until I tell them, it's kind of weird, but rainbows are always pretty good indicators - they've tipped a couple of people off about me before.

7. Emberstone

I would try to rainbow wristbands, but are they like the livestrong bands? Those rubber ones dont come in a size large enough to fit over my hands, since I have large hands.

8. SpinachWrap

Rainbows are a good idea. I'm struggling with this as well. Non-femme queer guys, and non-butch queer girls always have this problem. I'm generally pretty lazy/poor when it comes to my physical appearance. Though I've been trying to change that lately. Unfortunately, the poor part of it, is still several weeks away from being rectified. what AtomicCafe said about smiling at the ladies is also a good idea. I have a strict policy of smiling at cute boys. Hasn't got me a boyfriend yet, but it's done wonders for my confidence.

9. RaeofLite

Argh. I went to a club last night and was hit on about five males but had to turn them down. Jee I wish every single one of them was female and that our area had at least one gay bar...

I wore my rainbow belt but it wasn't very visible since I'm not the tallest (or shortest) female there. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: *sigh*

Wrist bands... I know. I'll need to seek them out or make them..

10. Gaetan

I need to find a rainbow pin. If I wasn't graduating in December, I would so start wearing one on my bag next semester.

11. AtomicCafe

Emberstone -- I've found TONS of gay pride bracelets and such. Right now, I have one from I'm Tired Of, which has "I'm Tired of AIDS" on it. Don't say I'm gay necessarily, but most people understand the connotation. Those come in big sizes, too; I have big hands for a girl, but even the women's size is falling off my wrist. Other than those and gel bracelets, I've seen a number of professional jewelry options, sort of like wedding rings and really pretty bracelets. Usually geared towards women, but my male friend has a really beautiful one that doesn't look bad on him. (And he's a big, buff guy, haha.) Otherwise, check out necklaces or rings -- I've been dying to get a gay pride necklace.

12. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wear a rainbow pride rubber bracelet. For two reasons really, first to show I'm proud of who I am, and second maybe a guy will notice it and be like "Oh he's gay too! Let's get coffee." :grin: I have a pride dog tag too, but I don't wear that as often. It kinda gets in the way when I'm at work doing stock or something. :slight_smile:

13. adam88

Well, some people have working gaydar and others don't. My gaydar is broken. As in, completely and irrecoverably. You could be wearing a shirt that says "I am gay" and I'd still have no clue until you told me. I like to think it's because I'm just open-minded and easy-going or something -- I've never really cared about what people's orientation was in the past.

Most people don't have my problem, thankfully for them. I'd think a rainbow bracelet is pretty obvious enough. :slight_smile:

14. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    Haha, I don't really know about me.

Some things about me scream gay. I have crazy short hair, and I like to dress in pretty androgynous clothes. And I have a rainbow keychain on my purse and wear a rainbow watch.

Other than that, though, my personality's really pretty feminine, haha. I squeal a lot, babble on about how cute things are, love flowers, and am very emotional and (overly?) sympathetic about everything. And I end up dressing femininely (I don't think that's a word :lol:slight_smile: more often than I'd like to, just because I don't have the money to buy a bunch of new clothes all the time and can still fit in stuff I used to wear when I was like 13. Unless someone actually heard me talking about hot girls, my personality alone probably wouldn't seem gay at all.

Unfortunately, here in the deep south where everyone's assumed to be straight, it's difficult to get the message across when you WANT people to know. I plan to make a pride bracelet one of these days (I can't exactly buy one...I have REALLY tiny wrists that would probably be way too small for anything you could buy). But even then I don't know if it would be a good enough hint. People around here are pretty oblivious, haha.

15. Ty

Ty

It's all in the wrist.

16. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Rainbow all the way I'd say.

17. SpinachWrap

*seeks out rainbow bracelet*

18. RaeofLite

*joins him on a window/mall shopping tour*

19. Absentminded

*hands out loads and loads of rainbow bracelets and wristbands*

20. I wear a rainbow thumb ring every day. Not that I really need to, though, because I'm not very subtle in the first place.