1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enviromental Effect

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Z3ni, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Question: Do you think the environment can affect how you grow and your appearance growing up??

2. Starburst

Indianapolis, IN, USA & Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
    Of course. It has been scientifically proven. How environment influences us is a very broad topic. There is a multitude of specific cases applicable. Which one would you want to know?

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

By a MASSIVE amount, yes. I'd go into specifics, but my post would end up too long.

4. RaeofLite

yes. It affects us physically, mentally and emotionally in my opinion. For instance, I grew up in a small town.

Very beautiful scenery.. not a lot of pollution. So I don't have health problems such as asthma or diabetes type 2(because I try my best to keep fit and I enjoy working out outside).

I also grew up with the smalltown mentality so I think I'm a bit more shy/reserved (because I'm used to being judged and people sticking their noses into everyone else's business). But I learned to choose friends more carefully. Those that stick by you and accept you for you, should be there forever. :slight_smile:

I was taught to eat healthy so that affects my body, skin etc. I just need to quit my habit of socially smoking at parties etc...

...is that the sort of direction your question was aimed at?

5. 71390S

71390S Guest

Yes.

One extreme example is from the book "the boy who was raised as a dog" by bruce perry, PH.D. A case study of a child hardly touched by her mother simply did not grow or gain weight developmentally as she should have. It wasn't until her family got help and her mother started physical affection that she started to grow and gain weight.

^ That's the ultra condensed version, but just one example of how environment affects us.

6. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Somewhat yeah :slight_smile:

7. RaeofLite

Ok cool. :slight_smile:

Well I'll also add that due to a smalltown community, I didn't figure out my sexual identity til the summer I graduated and luckily I moved to a big city for university so I was able to explore it there (without "prying, snobbish eyes" that my hometown would have had). I think that helped a lot for my self confidence as well because everyone was going through 'self discovery' away from home in various ways). And now I don't have to lie because I'm totally out (after 3 and a bit years later). It's such a waste of energy. You don't realize it till after you fully come out.

*holds the door open for Z3ni* :slight_smile: It's nice out here dude. Seriously.

8. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yeah to be honest I think I need to go places to see differnt things and see different views in life, sorta thing.

I think that'd help me coming out easy.

I if I have LGBT friends that 100% help D: .... I have seen quite of alot of LGBT's at work but.. I don;t see myself being friends with them?? :confused::dry:

9. RaeofLite

Yes. Changing your scenery if things aren't going well helps. As does hanging out with positive, optimistic people in life. It totally helped me out of my depression. (Not that you have one, but yes it changes lives). Get rid of negativity out of life and learn to think positive. It does wonders for your confidence and health.

10. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yeahhh! i need happy people in my life D: i got this colleague friend whose negative she.. is a tad bit annoying with her negativity

11. azrae1

azrae1 Guest

yeah your environment does affect you, things that surround you, people around you, the food, the weather all these things count. Its like how u study in a library and how u study in your home lol.. see the difference?