1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Patriotism

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Roralo, Nov 14, 2009.

?

Are you patriotic?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    45.8%
  2. No

35 vote(s)
    36.5%
  3. Not sure

17 vote(s)
    17.7%
  1. Roralo

Roralo Guest

As members of the LGBT community, we are often subjected to the unfair laws of our country that do not protect us or enable us the same rights as others. Some of us are lucky to live in countrys where this is hardly an issue, where the government backs everyone equally. So tell me, what are your views on patriotism? Do you feel loyalty to your country?

This thread stemmed off from another one in LGBT rights and issues, and I expressed my opinion that as much as I commended the boy for standing for what is right, standing for the Pledge of Allegiance was not favorable in my eyes. Even though America can be difficult, bigoted, and sometimes downright arrogant, I really believe that there is hope and that America is fighting to change and become better. I am proud of my country and all it stands for, knowing that what is bad will not always be a flaw through change. I'm not overly patriotic, and nor do I snub my country when things look a little worse for wear at the time. And what of you my fellow Americans? Do you feel love for the USA, though sometimes you might feel a little mifed? And of others, the French people out there and the British, how do you all feel?

Someone commented in the previous thread that patriotism was the virtue of the vicious.
    I am patriotic that I love the values and ideals that we stand for, that is what makes me patriotic for my country.

2. Just Adam

im patriotic..i know this countrys shit and i know it annoys and depresses the hell out of me... but i stick by her...

and i know other countrys suck jsut as bad if not worse so its ok....

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN! XD haha

3. endless poetry

Because God know's I'm a monarchist nationalist who loves my country.

I wouldn't wear flags or anything,
    but I do care to memorize the words in our national anthem,
    and defend our nation in hostile conversations with foreigners...

plus there's not really too much to hate about Canada... ... so with slight doubt I voted yes,...

Edit: D: this question's about Americans' patriotism isn't it
    (oops)

#3 endless poetry, Nov 14, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love America. I am extremely lucky to live in this country. I am also very thankful for my good fortune to live here, as well as all the freedoms I am permitted.

However, the LGBT inequality is very concerning. I may never have certain rights that other people are allowed, and that to me is the epitome of injustice. Seeing as how my country is built on the foundations of freedom, and a great deal of our population came here to have freedoms they were denied in their native countries I feel that all freedom should be equal.

Things are looking up in America though, at least out my window. I think that in due time these injustices and inequalities will turn around. We have to be patient, and I know that is not easy considering how far other countries are along in the fight for LGBT rights. Some things have already turned around compared to where they were just a few mere months ago.

In short, yes I am patriotic and proud of my country. Of course there are things I am unhappy about, but there are also some freedoms I have that people in other countries do not possess.

5. Brandford

As I see is a country is an object, and an object doesn't deserve loyalty, animals and people deserve loyalty. In the case of the USA, considering how they treat our cause they most definitely don't deserve the LBGT community's loyalty. When we have equal rights then they might deserve some loyalty. The U.S. has always been behind socially, Canada has always had to be every minority's safe haven when it comes to search for equal rights, even since slavery. The U.S. is always soo behind the times, its pathetic this country still wallows in ignorance.

#5 Brandford, Nov 14, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  6. haelmarie

Canadian patriotism doesn't exist in the same way that American patriotism does. The only time I ever see Canadian flags is when I'm in the rural areas of Ontario or the residential areas of my city. When I went through the bible belt of America last year, everyone had either an American flag or a Jesus sticker or a combination of the two.

I'm patriotic in the sense that I'm proud of my country's progressive stances and I am interested in our history, but that's about as far as it goes.

7. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

Patriotism implies that there's some sort of unique quality inherent to a country, which is something I strongly disagree with.

The symbols and values that are supposed to represent a nation are actually chosen as such by a select part of a society who then proceeds to universalize them by means of certain mechanisms including but not limited to the educational system.

The development of certain countries in terms of human rights (and the lack thereof of some others) are the result of a complex web of economic and political issues and not simply due to some kind of characteristic feature of the population. Otherwise, we would be led to believe that, for instance, Norwegians are naturally better people than Egyptians because they have anti-discriminatory laws that the latter lack.

So, in a nutshell: no, I'm not patriotic since I don't believe in the traditional concept of 'nation'.

8. Ben

Ben

I think that in context the UK is good at the moment.
    However, I wouldn't blindly defend it if I disagreed with its policies. And I don't feel pride for being born here; I feel lucky, but I don't feel proud. So no, I am not patriotic at all. Things like the nearest major city to me gaining its wealth from the slave trade don't make me warm to the history of these lands, either.

9. Just Adam

if you dont agree with what happens in the country stand up for it and face them down :wink: :slight_smile:

10. Ben

Ben

I Think the UK is okay but like everywhere else it's not perfect. And I'm not exactly the fountain of all political knowledge but I'll always make it known if I disagree with stuff.
    For example, if we were to reintroduce the death penalty (as most people here support apparently), I would rampantly oppose and support campaigns against it. =)

11. Just Adam

me too as where do you draw teh line on what to kill peopel for :S

but thats why this country has that great old tradition of revolting lol... down with the institution :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: lol

12. 71390S

71390S Guest

13. Roralo

Roralo Guest

Wow...
    And comments like these make the LGBT community look untrustworthy. The fact that America is in a state of change, although a slow, gradual, and agonizing process that it is, is enough for me to have loyalty to the USA.

This thread applies to all patriotism, if you are Finnish, Thai, Russian or Brazilian or whatever, what are YOUR views on patriotism as a member of the LGBT community?

14. RaeofLite

I'm Canadian so I'm pretty darn proud. :slight_smile: We have marriage rights, antihate crime laws and several other things.

I'm still pretty big on fighting for LGBT rights all around the world (including the southern neighbour.) I'll be in it with you guys!

15. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

i say i am patriotic. i love my country and wouldnt swap it for anywhere else.

16. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

I am patriotic for Scotland only. NEVER for the UK.

17. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good answer. Patriotism is just arbitrary, it makes no sense to me either.

I wouldn't even go that far... Much as i'm glad that certain progressive policies exist, realistically i had nothing to do with them being put in place, i'm just lucky i was born here.

18. pianomike

I am very patriotic. Even thought things are not the greatest for the LGBT community, just think how far we've come in the last few years!! Thanks i'm thankful for!

19. djt820

Patriotic is what I am not.

20. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    patriotism in australia doesn't exist at anywhere near the level as it seems to in america either...

Being forced as children to memorise a pledge and recite it hand-over-heart strikes me as brainwashing, and not a little disturbing.