1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Customising the Bedroom

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Micah, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Micah

So after 15 years of living in the same room I'm totally getting sick of the way it looks. So I really want to refine my room to match me a bit better.

Some ideas I had were
    • Print off huge A3 photos from random parties of me and my friends and stick them up on my wall like wallpaper.
    • Buying lamps and plugging Black lights into them
    • Cutting down the wall bettern my room and my brothers old room and making a double room (ok maybe I'm dreaming)
    • buy matching speakers etc for my stereo/computer

Basically, cost isn't a huge issue, but time/effort are. It can't be anything too drastic (as it would lower the resell value on the house which my parents are pretty anal about). Anyone have any other neat ideas?

2. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd like to customize mine (well, at least paint it with a color other than sky blue... I LOATHE SKY BLUE... I'M SO F***ING TIRED OF IT... THE ROOM HAS BEEN PAINTED ON SKY BLUE FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS...) but for me cost is indeed an issue...

3. CrimsonThunder

Well I put some band posters and wrestling posters in my room. I put all my DVDs and CDs and games so people can look at them when they're here, I also put some things from work on my walls (a malibu whopper surfboard and a simpsons promo thing) I also got some signs I.... found. >_> And a few red flags I also found. ^.^

4. Vampyrecat

I'm a little crazy. I hate pastels, and what did my mother make me paint the walls? mint pale green. Grr. So, to combat, I started drawing and collecting posters and paintings and needleworks, anything to help cover them up. So far, I've completely covered two walls in my drawings and everything else. it looks pretty cool. you can see my progress and the really bad drawings and the totally awesome ones. :grin:
    try that.

5. Kimi

Changing color of trim around windows and ceiling and floor would change the impression of your room dramatically. But it might effect to the resell value so you might wanna ask about it to your parents.

Changing your bed sheets and pillow to different color would be good to. And changing window treatments works well as well. I'm thinking to change my old blind to new wooden blind soon:slight_smile:

Add small area rug is interesting too.
    And if you have time, you can change color of your TV or furniture by using spray paint.

Painting only one wall to bold color as a accent wall can be really cool too:thumbsup:

6. CelebrityHead

The A3 pictures are a good idea!
    I love being in my friends' rooms coz they've got loads of pictures of us all around their rooms. Maybe just paint your room a different colour or rearrange your furniture if time/effort's an issue?

OR

Get new stuff :slight_smile:

7. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Find some Posters that are UV sensitive and will glow all cool like with black lights.

If you buy a black light DO NOT BUY AN INCANDESCENT one. They suck. Recently around here I found a black light compact fluorescent that will screw into a normal lamp. Failing that you might be able to find a small ~two foot black light tube and fixture.

My room's decorated with some artwork I did in high school art class.

But if you have a really good pictures of your friends, hanging them up might be cool.

8. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He quite possibly literally CAN'T buy an incandescent bulb... I seem to recall they were banned in Australia, which is quite cool.

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gods the metric paper size system is so elegant... why can't we have it? Two A4s make an A3, two A3s make an A2. And A0 is 1m²! So beautiful!

And the C envelopes... it sounds like heaven!

But anyway, back to the topic: I would go with the big photos. And painting. I hate painting but you're welcome to do the work.

10. xequar

Paint. There's no way painting can lower the resale value of a house because anyone planning to sell a house should plan on repainting before they sell, just as a general rule. It's not like it's hard to paint over a wall, either. Paint the walls whatever color, and just paint them back if your parents ever decide to sell the house.

Oh, and in most cases, people who make decisions about color choices and things based on the resale value are honestly rather silly, since most people aren't selling their houses every year or two. The average right now in the U.S. is seven years, and many many people stay longer than that.

11. Rette

Take a trip to Ikea, they've always got cool stuff for rooms. They've got some decent paintings and picture frames, at pretty good prices.

I think I have an unhealthy obsession with Ikea

12. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then you... are GAAAAAAY!

*shhhhh*

Don't tell anyone! :lol:

13. Micah

14. CrimsonThunder

Woah I dunno if its the angle or not but thats a pretty small bedroom. =O

15. CelebrityHead

You know what? Whatever you decide, you cannot throw away that mount franklin poster!

16. Kimi

OK, since I like doing interior designing. I made two examples.

This one is: You don't need to paint but take off top part of you desk and put two big cork board so you can use them to put your photos or memos, and different window treatments and bed clothes. And I put a darts board above your bed so you can play:slight_smile:
    [​IMG]

And this one is: You have to paint all of your wall including wood panel. Wood panels gonna be white like other trims around your room and half of the wall is gonna be beige. And the wall on your left is a recreation of your idea, putting A3 size photo to the wall. And different bed clothes and window treatments. And there is a cork board to put extra photos on above your bed.
    [​IMG]

I still have 3D data of your room so if you have other ideas or wondering what it will looks like if you paint your room with this or that. I have prenty time to do so just tell me so I'll post it to here:icon_wink

17. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I think painting that wood panelling is a good idea, if they will let you. It looks dated and painting it white or some other bright light colour will certainly brighten the room. I like Kimi's second plan a lot.

18. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great good gods, Kimi! How long did it take you to DO that?! What software did you use?

That's really, really cool. You can come redo my apartment anytime, as long as you do the painting. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. Kimi

Thanks:slight_smile: I use this super easy to use software called "My Home Designer" and it took me about an hour to make two different rooms.

The funny thing is I've never painted anything in my life yet so I guess I can give it try as long as you don't mind if the wall ended up much worse than before:grin:

20. Gera-Kun

OMG! Everything's in Japanese!!! :eek: What do you click?