1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay symbols or themes in books?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RaeofLite, Nov 18, 2009.

1. RaeofLite

I was just thinking the other day about symbolism and themes that are or could seem gay in books.

...I realized. The narnia series, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings have serious gay themes or symbols.

Narnia: The "wardrobe", coming out to a place that is wonderful...

Harry Potter: Living "in the cupboard under the stairs" and being freed to a world where Harry is with others of his kind.

Lord of the Rings: Sam and Frodo... Do I need to say more?

It just makes me happy even if they aren't intentionally written that way... (!)

Are there other references in the books mentioned or others books you have read?

2. Stuie

Interesting you should read that into the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. They're basically pure Christian allegory. There's even overt Christian references. This is always an interesting part of literature, different interpretations of the same text.

3. Just Adam

ive allways acted out a little gay scene between sam and frodo...

" i made a promise mr frodo and i intend to keep it "

"oh sam "

how many times did he say oh same...frodo was gay !... he was the only one that could handle the ring well enough...what ? you had the naughty thought not me >.>

4. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    omg so homosexuals are wizards SOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOl !
    where do i get my wand :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Cool I havn't noticed that =]

6. -Michael-

in your ass

7. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    smexy :grin:

8. RaeofLite

Well Dumbledore is... so he converted Harry! :wink:

9. lostinthought9

Hm, wasn't there some controversy between the two male characters from "A Seperate Peace"?

I may be thinking of a different book, so don't bash me if I'm wrong. :slight_smile:

10. SlickyPants

If you could elaborate about Frodo and Sam's relationship, that would be great. Sam was simply devoted to his friend and master. He loved him as any friend would. I fail to see any mention or hint of a gay undertone. Sure, everyone is entitled to read into it how they wish but by that line of reasoning you could argue that any two male friends or any two female friends in all literature are gay symbols or themes.

11. Astaroth

In the series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin, one of the very handsome and suave male nobility, a man named Renly, has a court of seven guards known as the "Rainbow Guard." One of the guards is a man named Loras Tyrell who is considered by most women throughout the series to be the most attractive man they've laid eyes on. And he's often termed "Renly's Peach." It's said that Loras "helps Renly pray" or "shows him how to use his lance."

Anne Rice's vampires are often used as an allegory for homosexuality. They are outcasts from the normal world. They hold secrets that they cannot share with anyone but others of their own kind. They are able to sense others with the Gifts (gaydar?). Many of them harbor same-sex attractions. They are associated with a blood-born, communicable disease (in their case, vampirism, and in our case, AIDS). Of course, the allegory is not completely a positive one (they "turn" others to their side, they kill, etc.), but it still has lots of symbolism, much of it purposeful. Anne Rice's son is gay. Her books were probably a way of reasoning through it.

12. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe that Dumbledore touched Harry while he was still alive.

13. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    I loved Anne Rice's novels, if it was a way to reason through her son's sexuality, she did it beautifully.

14. 19rockr

19rockr Guest

Near Lexington, KY, by 45 miles to the east.
    i remember reading somewhere before that said that Dumbledore once had a relationship with Grindelwald before the Big Duel between the two....

and isn't there a "secret" relationship between Harry and Draco?
    They look so cute together, it would be hard to believe they're not dating...or even as Daniel and Tom...

15. Ty

Ty

Robert Frost's poem 'Birches' is quite gay.

16. RaeofLite

Yea. Dumbledore and Grindelwald were childhood friends implied in the Wizard cards and Book 7. And with Rowling declaring Dumbledore's sexuality, I'm pretty sure that was implied. He basically had to kill his best friend and lover. Sad really. :icon_sad:

Haha, yes there are a lot of fanfics on the Draco/Harry ship online. Isn't it, if a boy likes you, he'll pick on you? :wink:

17. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, also, this thread belongs in Entertainment and Technology.

18. UserName

Well I know this isn't a book...but maybe we could broaden the horizons and go on the topic of shows and movies. When ever I watch the show "Heroes" and how they have to hide their powers from the world from a fear of being outcasted and life endangered because they are different it always reminds me of being a closeted homosexual...although probably not a subtle message in the show, I was always able to relate to that show lol.

19. paco

paco Guest

there are a couple angels in "his dark materials" trilogy that are gay (The Golden Compass movie was messed up big time). they have a fairly big part too, and i don't have any supporting reviews, but its extremely obvious that they're gay lovers.

20. Pasalacqua

No, you're right.

I read that a few years ago, I remember parts where like, they're on top of each other and it's like "There was no place he would have rather been right then."

And something about the kid wearing a pink shirt and everyone was like OH MY GOD KJLNF;DNGFR

BUT.
    Yea, it was A Separate Peace