1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just a cool little story I'd like to share.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pirateninja, Nov 20, 2009.

1. pirateninja

Well as you know, I started Uni about 7 weeks ago, and in my first creative writing seminar, I was put into a project group with four other people and one of them was this dude called Scott.

Scott twigged that I was a lesbian and started up a conversation with me. It was almost funny in a way; he's autistic and doesn't swear at all, and at first he couldn't even say the word "lesbian". He asked "I don't mean to be rude, but are you a... do you prefer women to men?" And when I said "lesbian" he flinched.

But like I said, we got into a conversation and he asked the regular stuff "When did you first know? Do your parents know? etc" but never "Are you sure?" So he just accepted it just like that, despite the fact that he'd never met a lesbian before. He actually said later that one thing he expected to happen at Uni was to meet "a... someone like you". :grin:

But yes, today, he actually said the word "lesbian". Apparently because knowing me made the word not a cuss or anything, it was just a normal noun to him.

But yeah, I know, not exceptionally interesting, but just wanted to share it. :slight_smile:

2. littledinosaurs

awe that's so cool =)

3. RaeofLite

That's cute. Yea, some people are like that... I guess because it's not "normal" to a lot of people in society. So when they meet someone, they'll be hesitant/not wanting to offend you. As if stating what you are is a curse. Which is sad, but things are changing (I hope.) :slight_smile:

4. AtomicCafe

I totally understand his problem with saying the word "lesbian". I grew up in one of those houses where I got hit if I used "lesbian," "gay," or any similar word since they were considered on level with the f-word. Don't think I could say it until I was about 16!

Glad to hear someone else in the world is now accepting. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Congrats!