1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GLBTQ = More/Less Mental Illness?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Swamp56, Nov 27, 2009.

?

What do you believe is the proportion of m.i. in comparison to the normal population?

1. None

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  2. Less than Normal Population

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. Same as Normal Population

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  4. More than Normal Population

28 vote(s)
    57.1%
  5. Much More than Normal Population

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I'm interested in finding out the what the GLBTQ population thinks the proportion of amount mental illness in the GLBTQ Community is in comparison with the normal population (σ). I have broken down the amount into 5 different options:

None
    You believe there is no mental illness in the GLBTQ community at all.

Less than Normal Population
    You believe there is less mental illness in the GLBTQ community than in the regular population.

Same as Normal Population
    You believe there is an equal amount of mental illness in the GLBTQ community and the Normal Population.

More than Normal Population
    You believe there is more mental illness in the GLBTQ community than in the Normal Population.

Much More than Normal Population
    You believe there is much more mental illness in the GLBTQ community than in the Normal Population.

Note
    The word "normal population" is used in statistics, and only denotes statistical normality, or what is typical of the general population.

Also, please do not read the responses below before you vote. That would bias the data.

Thank you for voting :icon_mrgr ! You can discuss below.

#1 Swamp56, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2009
  2. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would think that simply because of social stigma, there exists a bias towards anxiety not generally experienced by the completely straight faction of society.

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Nice response :slight_smile: . What about if there is somehow a community with no bias or bad stigma towards homosexuality/bisexuality/queer/trans/etc ?

4. riddlerno1

Also depends how you are classifying mental illness and whether its long term or short term. Depression can be classified as a short or long term illnesss and LGBTQ people are prone to suffer more from depression for various reasons which we all know about.

5. shorty

I agree with Jim. Just through the added stigma of being gay, I think GLBT people suffer more from depression and general anxiety disorders. Would be interesting to find a community where there would be absolutely no bias against us. Would make for an interesting experiment! :slight_smile:

6. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Typically mental illness is classified as a psychological or behavioral or thought pattern that results in some sort of anxiety/distress/issue.

7. Greggers

I was thinking Mental Illness from birth when i answered, i think what we are defining as "Mental Illness" should be cleared up. Depression? Aaaaalot more than the "normal" population.

8. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

There are many other disorders associated with stress. One of the lower functioning ones is psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia (paranoid/disorganized/catatonic/residual/undifferentiated types), schizoaffective disorder (bipolar/depressive types), psychotic disorder NOS, and the like.

I'm actually one of the only people I know with schizophrenia (paranoid type) who is able to properly function as a human being. Many of the others end up hospitalized for large portions of their life. Thing is, I'm only able to function because of the medication.

@greggers
    Mental illness is both formed at birth, can form later in life, and can be triggered. Psychosis, for example, people are born with a weakness for. It can be triggered given the correct circumstances. The same is true with depression and anxiety (though both of those can also be randomly triggered as well as being lifelong from childhood; that is much rarer in psychotic disorders).

#8 Swamp56, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2009
  9. Just Adam

i think more...as a minority lgbt people go through things others dont and have to put up with social stigma and unacceptance...

it can be a very hard life your not jsut struggleing with others you also have to struggle with yourself. and not enough is still known what makes someone lgbt to give enough help... so yea it can be very hard.

10. Ah, I also interpreted the question wrong when I answered, I was thinking from birth as well. But those are all really good points about the anxiety and stress and whatnot. If I had read the question right, I would have answered more.

11. BasketCase

I voted for a lot more than the norm.

I did so because I included 'minor' illnesses like stress, depression and anxiety.

12. kettleoffish

The two other queer people in my family both have histories of clinical depression, and I wonder as to whether I may or may not be as well sometimes, although I've never been diagnosed so I can't comment.

13. Mitchell

Coming to terms with yourself is very hard. I'd have to say that I would expect every gay person to experience great feelings of loneliness, isolation, confusion, and depression at one point in their life - BECAUSE they are gay.

The thought of being an outcast sure can be scary, having nobody to go to about their gay feelings, and dealing with them in shame thinking you're less of a person because you're gay.

The thing is - things get better. You'll still be gay, but you'll cope better.

14. Camman3

I didn't include minor illnesses, and I voted based on if the LGBT community were in an area where it wasn't forbidden/illegal(death penalty or incarceration type punishments).

Less than normal. Because statistically we are a minority, so we cannot be worse off than heterosexuals.

Considering "equalising" the ratio of LGBT to heterosexuals and taking into consideration the anxiety, paranoeia, and general depressive mood from hiding one's identity... I would definitely say more than the average heterosexual...

So it's kind of dependant on those two factors of Location and Severity of what you consider "mental illness"...

15. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

None of those are 'minor'.

16. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Ok I misread and picked None D=