1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Taught About Homosexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by davo-man, Aug 16, 2007.

1. davo-man

I was just wondering what your opinion was on this issue: When should children be taught about sexuality, in particular homosexuality, and by whom?

Do you think it should be incorporated into the Sex Ed thing at school, or should be left up to the parents?

Personally i think it needs to be somewhat taught at school, but not at ridiculously early ages. Like maybe Year 7. My reasoning for this is that if you are taught at home, you might get biased information from your parents, or, sometimes worse, the media. If it is done at school, at least all the kids get a fair understanding. However this would bring up another issue, cos i can see many kids at year 7 being too immature to learn about homosexuality, s maybe older (not trying to offend those who may be in Year 7 here, just that your peers may not be as interested in/mature about it as you may be).

Also, when were you taught about homosexuality, and where from?...Personally, it was pretty much from media, then when me and parents were talking, i just got more information from them. Such as when i was young, i used to think being gay was a choice (dont blame me, blame the media) which my mum was able to tell me was wrong.

Anyway, what are your opinions about when a child should be taught about homosexuality, and when did you learn about what it was?

2. CrimsonThunder

About 3 years old.

3. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe the earlier the concept is put into their minds the better. Well as long as it is put in a neutral way.

Because by year 7 a lot of people have it already set in their minds that gays are wrong and all that $#!7. (well in my personal experiences anyway)

So I'd say sometime in primary school, but not overly... Graphic.

4. Qu_

Qu_ Guest

all it really takes at a young age is a "and some boys like boys, while some girls like girls" because you want it to become normal, not given special attention I think. Then just get more in depth as you get older kind of like with what sex "education" you have now.

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I think it need to be taught to them slowly so that the Christian Right don't get their panties in a bunch about it. I think they should start by mentioning it in later elementary school (grades K-5), but they should only mention it briefly and just explain what it is very matter-of-factly. Once kids reach middle school age (grades 6-8) they should probably be taught how they can tell whether or not they are gay in a way that would allow the school systems to tell the Christian Right that they are just doing what's best for the kids so the kids aren't under more stress than they have to be. Middle school should also teach about how gay kids are no different than straight kids. Once kids reach high school (grades 9-12), I'd say that's the time to start teaching about AIDS, gay teen suicide rates, and all the other "graphic" things.

Of course, I'll take what I can get. We're lucky to have real sex-ed here in Massachusetts, not this "abstinence only" bull:***:.

6. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree that it should be conceptually introduced in elementary, "some boys like boys and there's nothing wrong with that"

In grade 7 or so it should be covered in more depth along with other sex topics, STDs, depression / suicide, eating disorders, etc. These sort of issues can effect people surprisingly early, so I don't think we should hold out on teaching this stuff.

While these topics should be covered in school, I also think parents should cover them as well. This would help make kids feel comfortable with talking about relationships / sex with their parents. If a kid is gay, they'd know their parents have no problem with homosexuality, and they would be more willing to tell their parents, which is important since "telling the parents" always seems to be a big deal.

And I basically taught myself about homosexuality.

7. Kimi

I agree with inthecloset. I think it will be best to teach children gradually. For like when they become...I donno let's say 10yo, teachers could teach them that homosexuality is normal. Then next year tell them same thing and possibly some reasons why it's normal. And as they get older(and more interested in sexual activities), tell them to wear condom and about HIV and such.

And I think it's best to teach about homosexuality at school. Not by their parents. I mean, if I was homophobic I would tell my kids that homosexuality is wrong. So it needs to be up to school.

And my first sex ed. class was when I was 10. Which I think it was quite good time for me. Since I started to masturbate and I was feeling a guilt so it was quite relief that teacher telling me that masturbating is ok. And basically it was more about sex organs but they did taught me where is baby comes from and how to get one. And as I get older they taught me about HIV and why you have to wear condom. And when I was 16 we had special week that professional sex ed. teacher whom hired by school taught us which I thought it was pretty good.

8. MissyJ158

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have no idea when I learned what homosexuality was but I only knew lesbian and gay as words so when I went through my confused stage uh... I was hell confused? lol

I don't think I did sex-ed in school until year 10. I agree that year 7 would be a bit too young to teach about homsexuality but I also think that the earlier the better.

I think Qu is right they should mention it in Primary school but not make a big deal out of it, just saying "...and some boys like boys, and some girls like girls.." Would suffice I think, just to make it normal and try to reduce the negative spin kids love putting on it.

Maybe mention it breifly again in a year 7/8 health class and then talk about the issues that go along with homosexuality in the normal year 9/10 health class when hopefully everyone is mature enough to not start picking on the feminine guy in the front corner of the room.

I also think the problem with diving into too much depth about homosexuality with kids in their early teens is that it will have a lot more kids questioning their sexuality. That's not necessarily a bad thing if they're going to have the support of their health classes but if it turns out that they're actually straight they're probably going to go through a lot, possibly bullying etc that won't likely stop after they've realised they're straight.
    My friend brought it up with me when I came out to her she said something about when you have the word "homosexuality" mentioned around you or if you know someone who is homosexual or bisexual or something then it makes you question your own sexuality. She has a bi friend who came out at around the age of 14 and it sounds like she had at least 7 girls wondering if maybe they were all gay too.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with being confused. A lot of people go through that, but well, I don't know... Does anyone else see what I mean? It could be troublesome. It could be like a reverse of the guy who thought he was straight and went and got married and had kids only to accept that he was gay ((Apologies for example))... It could be straight kids thinking they're gay, getting into same-sex relationships... That's something I think everyone would want to avoid right?

9. godfather

godfather Guest

i think people should be taught in year 7 in sex ed and homosexuality should be part of it!
    i learned when i asked my science teacher what it was when boys liked boys as i was starting to and none of my friends where!!

10. Gera-Kun

I think year seven is good! Well, i found out through friends. One time a very old friend who moved called someone gay and i asked him what it meant. he said it was when a boy liked a boy and i just stayed quiet for the rest of the day! XP cause that was also when i found out what i felt was called...

11. godfather

godfather Guest

oh that pic is hot have a (*hug*)

12. Gera-Kun

Weee!!!! Huggy!!!!

13. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The earlier the better. And definitely in school.

All of you should watch "It's Elementary."

Prejudice is learned.

14. boarder25

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe that as soon as sex education starts, education on homosexuality needs to begin. Homosexuality and transgendered issues should be taught along with sex education in a completely neutral, scientific format. If kids grow up being taught that it's basically normal and nothing wrong with it, I think a lot of the bigotry in this world would be greatly reduced.

15. GuitarGirl1350

When they start teaching sex ed...

16. halfcajun

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi:
    I told my son when he was about 5 or 6. There was a lesbian couple that we were close to, and I used their relationship as an example of love. I explained to him that there were "mommies and daddies, mommies and mommies, and daddies and daddies." I told him that there was different ways of love, but it was still love. This satisfied his curiosity, and he went on his merry way. We had the where-babies-come-from talk about 2 yrs. later.
    Y'all take care.
    Bill

17. CrimsonThunder

Yeah exactly Bill, YOUNGER THE BETTER! Before they start learning about the whole "oh thats just gay" slang. When they learn about sex ed is way too late because they would already have different views on it. 6-7 years old is good. :grin:

18. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think by 4th or 5th grade it should be talked about. Or when sex ed begins. Whichever one is sooner.

19. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See it shouldn't have anything to do with sex ed because really, do we start teaching about equality between men and women or black and white people when sex ed starts? Respect for difference has nothing to do with puberty or sexual maturity or really sex at all.

And frankly for a lot of little kids (probably most), sex is pretty meaningless.

20. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ^That makes a lot of sense joeyconnick. I think your right. I say, any time between 3rd and 5th grade. Hopfully sooner. If the churches try to turn them into bigots that early we should try to turn them tolernt as kids too.