1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Persuasive Speech

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nixon, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Nixon

I need to write a persuasive speech for speech team, and I can't come up with a good ORIGINAL topic.

----------

btw also need an entertainment topic

2. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

- Mental illness disabilities
    - Gay marriage
    - Abortion
    - Universal Health Care
    - Democracy vs another form of govt
    - Convince to go to war with another country
    - Video game ratings (pro or con)
    - Move rating (pro or con)
    - Homosexuality roots (born with or not)
    - Nature vs Nurture
    - Interpretation of dreams

If I can think of all of these, you should be able to think of something :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: .

3. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Here a couple of things I'm pretty passionate about that don't register for most people:

- Making sex toys legal for minors to purchase
    - Proper sex positive education including non-heteronormative sex practices
    - The strange dichotomy between apathic and overly 'radical' youth
    - The importance of secularism in society
    - Balancing economics with environmental conservation
    - Can one justify an omnivorous diet in western society?
    - Where should comedy draw the line?
    - The issues with suburbia
    - Eliminating this ridiculous practice in Canada of not having the taxes included on the price tag

Alright, the last one is a bit of a joke. But the rest of them I feel are decent topics with multiple angles from which they can be viewed.

4. Nitro

If we come up with a topic, it won't be original for you.

Ideas of what few if any have argued before:

- Why we shouldn't feel bad about euthanizing unintelligent life, including senile old people and recently born babies.

- What the best body disposal options are, and how they can bring a profit to the heirs. Taxidermy, human leather, mineral salvage, fashion accessories, are a few places to start.

- Which laws of war are complete rubbish and should be unilaterally ignored.

- How the copernican revolution has destroyed the moral fabric of society and still negatively affects us today.

- Why people should be required to pass a test and have a license to access the internet - much like amateur radio or motor vehicle operators.

- Why we might decide to leave false records, time capsules, and other forged evidence for future archeologists to discover.

- How words such as "moral" and "morality" are misused to simply mean actions that are personally found to be distasteful (reading Hume can give some inspiration - ex: the is-ought problem). Argue that we all start with preconceived notions of right and wrong and then try to make up reasons to justify them (easy case examples include medically assisted suicide, prostitution, homosexuality, murder [if killing people is wrong why are so many wars waged, esp. ones like the Opium Wars]). Argue for changes to everyday language and legal documents to reflect this new collective self-honesty. Changes would include calling the "immoral" instead a new word that expresses a seemingly inborn disgust with the action, possibly due to evolutionary selection. Also argue for changing individual rights, to mere "good ideas", or "principles".

#4 Nitro, Nov 28, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  5. Gaetan

Persuasive and entertaining? Try and convince your audience of something so absurd that they could never be convinced. For one of my speech classes, I actually argued (I was told quite well) both the flat earth idea and the whole earth is the center of the universe thing.

Everyone knew I was kidding, but I still did quite well. :grin:

6. NickT

Talk to your classmates about the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide. It'll test their intelligence, and it's great for laughs if you're in the science community. ^_^

7. Nixon

One Persuasive Speech
    and
    One Entertainment Speech