1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some of the biggest homophobes = gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Blueeyes, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Blueeyes

Blueeyes Guest

A guy on my street used to be the biggest homophobe in highschool that i knew and was always making anti-gay remarks, etc. He was a football player and kind of a tough guy. He wound up getting a girl pregnant in sophomore year and she subsequently dropped out of school. When he got to college he suddenly came out...it makes me wonder, are some people extremely homophobic just because they are hiding the fact that they are gay?

2. godfather

godfather Guest

thats a really interesting post!! i think its highly probobale and he was in denial so he thought if everyone knows im a homophobe then no one will think im gay and that may be why he got a girl pregnant or not!! i think alot of people may do that when the start to think they might be gay!!

3. Ah...the Hector-Projector Syndrome. Alas, poor Yorick, I know it...not at all.

4. Jerr

It is highly possible because most gay guy's first reactions to that is if I hate it, I won't be it.

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I have wondered exactly that for some time. No proof, but I think it's quite likely.

6. 24601

I think it's pretty likely, also. I hate to say it, but when I was discovering myself, I was pretty homophobic, so to speak. I didn't like gay guys. Now, well... I guess that's changed, eh?

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

7. I've read this kind of thing once before and I think that in some cases, it's probably true. Like Jerr said, some gay people's first reaction towards the realization that they are gay is anger. In other cases though, it's probably safe to assume that the people involved are just brainwashed by something or just plain ignorant.

8. CrimsonThunder

With some people they can be homophobic, but you can't say everyone is.

9. xequar

I think in a sizable number of cases, yes, the blatant homophobe is really just trying to hide that they are gay. In fact, that was very true for me for a good chunk of college.

10. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Case and point: Ted Haggard

11. GuitarGirl1350

Definitely. I've seen this played out before my eyes.

I was with my two friends, one female, one male. We'll call the female Kayla and the male Thomas. Well, Kayla and I were teasing Thomas infront of his friends about having buttsex...I told him I thought every guy should be fucked up the ass at least once just for the experience. His friends were all like EWWWW SO NASTY and he's like Dude, I'm not a fag, okay?! So don't even talk like that to me! I don't want anything up my ass! That's so disgusting! Fags are just so nasty! Ewww!
    About 10 minutes later, Thomas' friends leave. Kayla, Thomas, and I go for a walk. (Btw, Thomas knows I'm gay and Kayla is bisexual) and he's like...yeah, so I'm bisexual.

In conclusion, yes, homophobia is often a cover.

12. Level N Human

The psychological term for it is a reaction formation I believe. There are all sorts of nifty defense mechanisms, but of coure not all homophobes are that way because they have something to hide; some of them are simply that way because too much lead in their heads skew their moral compass. This is a scientific fact.

13. SpikySpice

Well, because some gay guys hate who they are and they also hate to be envolved in the gay community or they feel gay is disgusting or gay is guilty etc and etc

But when they made a big heterosecual mistake like get a girl pregnant, or tehy try to be in a relationship with gurls and that didnt work out, they can feel extremely dissapointed, or extremely guilty and now tehy realize gay is something better, much better and they can chnage their minds and even come out unexpectedly , cuz they wanna forget about the past

14. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

In the majority of cases something like this happening is because of denial and denial can be a very strong emotion/block to development of someone's personality or lifestyle. The denial can be due to many factors both internal and external. For one, would be the lack of acceptance by the individual. Until that can happen, the defense mechanism most often are homophobic actions.

In most cases, those who are most homophobic are actually fight their own feelings of same gender attraction. Some will come to eventually dealing with it, others will not. Don't condemn this guy too much as it is the reality now he is what he is and before it was a very different reality for him. Sort of the old Amer. Indian saying: Before I say anything about someone, let me walk at least a mile in his moccasins.

15. LowestVocal017

Well, how do you know that his statement about "butt sex" (which I MYSELF think is kinda gross) was out of homophobia? What if he was just playing a jokish statement to proove that homosexuality is not about sodomite sex? I, for one, would have certainly done so at a given chance. :thumbsup:

16. paul7836

I can speak from the point of having acted homophobic and yes it was to cover my sexuality up. No one ever asked about my sexuality (except for one person, and that moment is forever burned into my head). So it seems it worked pretty well...

17. hideinyourshel

I think that there are, broadly speaking, 3 reasons for (or types,) of homophobia:

a) Religious homophobia (people are taught by their faith to be anti-gay)
    b) Homophobia because society is homophobic (this is not particularly 'serious' homophobia - it is just that people have been brought up thinking that homosexuality is bad [e.g. using the word 'Gay' to mean bad] This is mostly just due to a lack of understanding and the people I have told who before were moderately homophobic now have seen the error of their ways.)
    c) Homophobia because the person has something against homosexuals (such as being one themselves, or having a homosexual parent which has damaged their upbringing)

So, if there in no apparent reason for homophobia, then it is probably either because of 'b)' or because they are themselves gay. And the people that fall into 'b)' aren't usually that homophobic.

There are of course exceptions and that is just my opinion! I am only guessing from my limited experiences.

18. jlangford

Out Status:
    Some people
    hmm... does having an adverse reaction to over flamboyant boys make me a homophobe? Well, okay not adverse, I would just rather not be around them =\

19. Gera-Kun

good point... i'm not sure, but i think it's possible.

20. jlangford

Out Status:
    Some people
    shites. *hides in a cave*

don't stone me!