1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are we happier than heteros?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RaeofLite, Dec 7, 2009.

1. RaeofLite

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Gay-and-Lesbian-Families-Are-Happier-than-Heterosexual-Ones-77094.shtml

What do you think? Are we happier than heteros, in regards to relationships and other factors?

#1 RaeofLite, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  2. Greggers

In some strange way, i think it is beneficial to have all the odds against us as LGBT people :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I know that in a relationship i would not be bound by any of the unwritten rules of soceity and culture. Things like "whats the man is supposed to do" and "what the women is supposed to do" and other things like that.

I also dont take things like Marriage for granted like heterosexual people might. Its not just a word to me, its really really important. Thats what happens when you take something away, you dont take it for granted anymore.

Also it just plain boils down to having to work harder at relationships when the entire world looks down on two guys or two girls falling in love.

3. Camman3

I know lots of people will disagree with me, but I believe that in many cases "we" are happier. This is because we have "fought" for our sexuality (I'm sure you all know what I mean) and so when two LGBTs really connect, they just have so much more in common. They have a headstart in relationships because they start with an understanding of what the other has had to go through already - and that's a common, shared feeling.

So we're able to bond easily...

It's very weird, but I learned which of the staff members at my school are gay/bi and I immediately felt more respect for them. I know this is very irresponsible and it's very scary to me to know that I can do that, but when you connect with someone and trust them - it's that feeling but amplified.

Oy... I feel so terrible at trying succintly to express what I want to say:tears::bang:. I hope you all understand what I'm trying to say:slight_smile:.

EDIT: Also, without "gender roles", I think a lot of pressure is taken off :slight_smile:

And plus everything Greggers said:icon_bigg hehe.

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Pretty much like other people have said, because we have to fight for our relationships, we find more satisfaction in them. Heterosexual relationships can be started willy-nilly, but not only is the dating pool smaller for us (smaller chance of finding someone we connect with), but because society looks down on our relationships, we are pressured to not enter them. We have to overcome that to be successful in our relationships; all heterosexual couples need to overcome is themselves (I know that's a vast simplification and that heterosexual relationships can face difficulties in a lot of ways, but that's the only obstacle they are guaranteed.)

That's not weird at all; at least, if it is, then I'm weird as well. (not an unreasonable conclusion, but I digress) The reasons you have described justify your feelings.

5. Schu

Slightly unrelatedly:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National...n-happier-study/2007/04/17/1176696796042.html

The gist of it is that people that engage in BDSM* are more in touch with their own sexuality, don't have too many repressed desires, and therefore are happier. I wouldn't be surprised if much the same applied to queer people.

*apparently women are exempt from this. This is a whole other, and much more complicated topic.

6. partietraumatic

i really dont think you can generalise atall here.

Maybe those who have completely accepted themselves are happier, but theres a hell of alot of people out there who are made very unhappy by their homosexuality methinks.

7. frostreaver

True, but the study is about couples. And I would think that if you're not happy or accepting with your homosexuality, I doubt you'll be in a relationship.

8. MissNomer

MissNomer Guest

Maybe it's just that we are naturally forced to examine ourselves and what we want from relationships more than straight people. There are no assumptions in our lives, because we've had to come to terms with wanting different things in a general sense. Straight people often get trapped in that inevitable life-cycle...you date someone because theyre there, you date them long enough you marry them...you never quite stop to search yourself and your wants/needs.

Maybe that's just a small town perspective, though. Everybody I went to high school with is unhappily married with unwanted kids >_>

9. Emberstone

I think in some regards we are more free. Doesnt mean we are more happy, as there are alot ofthings to be unhappy about unrelated to sexuality.

10. kramer362

Hmm I have to wonder though... if this were true, then say there comes a day where homosexuality and the ensuing relationships are completely normalized (as much as straight relationships), are homosexual couples going to be just as 'miserable' as heterosexual couples?

Once we are no longer marginalized, and we're deemed as worthy as straight people to the majority, we won't really share that bonding experience with other non-straight people nearly as much. Trauma and hardship, not being accepted, being disowned by family and friends- those things can bring people together. And we'll also have the societal expectations of staying together just for the sake of it placed on us, much like the article says that pressure is put on straight couples. Just sayin.. :icon_bigg

11. Just Adam

so... yea im not sure if its happier to be lgbt and im not sure anyones happier than another group as in teh end all jsut humans and all go through teh same problems jsut different variety of them.

12. endless poetry

well we are gayer than heteros

13. ethelred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that no matter what we do, we will still be marginalized, and that is because we aren't the majority. When I say marginalized, I mean the representation of sexuality in the media. No matter what, straight couples will prevail in our literature and television because most people are straight.

And that is fine. The thing is, if we are happier on average because there is an inherent shared experience, and that shared experience comes from the confusion of what we are implicitly told is normal and what feels normal, then no amount of equal rights will take that away because the norm is still straight. Even when we get to a point when no one cares if you are one way or the other, the complexity of those feelings and the isolation may still create an environment that makes our relationships precious.

14. AtomicCafe

I totally agree with the findings. I only actually know 3 gay couples, and they've been together between 10-40 years each. I consider all of those to be pretty lengthy relationships, especially considering their ages (between 30-60). They all seem to absolutely adore their partners. Meanwhile, the longest heterosexual relationship I've seen lasted less than 20 years, and both people described it as miserable. It's a big generalization, but just the fact that the couples I've met differ like this strikes me as significant.

Sometimes I think it has to do with not being able to marry. (At least for the couples I know -- I'm sure gay couples in Iowa are just as happy.) When there's nothing legally stopping you from leaving, commitment is solely up to the people involved.

15. Bryan90

Lol, the research had such a small sample size...

As for the question at hand... I think too that we can't generalize and it's a case by case basis.