1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If/When a state in the South legalizes gay marriage, which ones would/will be first?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Étoile, Dec 7, 2009.

?

Which state(s) would/will be first?

1. Texas

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Florida

30 vote(s)
    71.4%
  3. Alabama

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. South Carolina

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Arkansas

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. Mississippi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Georgia

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. Virginia

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  9. Louisiana

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  10. North Carolina

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  11. Kentucky

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  12. Tennessee

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. West Virginia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Missouri

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Étoile

The South is known as the Bible Belt, and it isn't called that for nothing. In the rather populated Georgian city I live in, churches are everywhere. Heck, you can see some on side-by-side-by-side in some neighborhoods. If the south miraculously decides to legalize same-sex marriage, in order of succession, which ones would be first and which ones will be last.

I don't know what state would be first, but I can imagine Georgia being second to last (we were the last state to return to the Union after the Civil War) and Alabama being last.

2. Shevanel

Re: If/When a state in the South legalizes gay marriage, which ones would/will be fir

Only Steers and Queers come from Texas! xD No but really, I think Florida probably will for some reason, and even Texas? I don't really have much other choice xD

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Re: If/When a state in the South legalizes gay marriage, which ones would/will be fir

I would think Florida as well, I thought I read that it was one of the states with the highest amount of GLBT people.

4. Shevanel

Only because of the cities I would assume ^

----------

Oh, and another thought I have is that Same-Sex Marriage will have to pass on a federal level to get Southern States to legalize it, Kinda in a way like the way Slavery was abolished.

5. Étoile

I was thinking Florida would be first because of Miami, South Beach, and other LGBT-populous cities but that's only half of the state. Once you move up to northern Florida, it gets more southern and conservative.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Idk, Florida has one of the weirdest divisions I've ever seen. You have Miami, Jacksonville, Miami Beach, etc where everyone's 18-25. Then in central and northern Florida it's like God's waiting room where everyone is 60+. So sentiments on the issue would, to me at least, seem to be split down the middle.

7. Just Adam

i think florida first...

last alabama

8. Gin Uh Fur

Gin Uh Fur Guest

florida. i dont know about the last...

9. Nodnarb

Probably Florida. Missourians generally think of themselves as a Midwestern state, but they are much closer culturally to the South than to the Upper Midwest. Still, they aren't quite as conservative as most of the Southern states, and they have a couple major cities, so they would probably be one of the first to see the light. I definitely wouldn't put Georgia as next-to-last. Atlanta is supposed to have a pretty decent sized LGBT population, something most other Southern states don't have. But you live there, so you know more than I do:slight_smile:

As for last, I'd say probably West Virginia/Alabama/Mississippi/Arkansas. Sadly, there are far too many choices to choose from.

10. Étoile

Yeah, I hear a lot of old people like to move to Florida, so that could be a problem.

With Georgia, it'll take a while for the majority to be pro-equality as whole state; individual citizen speaking, it all depends. A lot of people at my school are either pro-equality or indifferent over the matter and can't see what's all the hubbub about. When I did a poll, one of the questions my group chose was about same-sex marriage. The pro-equal outnumbered the anti-equal. Granted, even those pro-equal or indifferent can at times think we're icky and gross, it's really only the older and religious that oppose us.

11. NickT

I didn't put Florida because, from what I can remember, it still won't allow gay adoption. =/

I put KY there because...well...I'm being optimistic. >>;

I also put Texas because of the whole "Gays want divorce but gotta be recognized as married first..." issue

Missouri and Virginia both seem alright to me too. >>;;; Yeah, I know, I have several "firsts" but meh!

12. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I kind of keep hoping for Virginia too because it's right below D.C. and really kind of the "first" southern state on the east coast so I keep hoping the North will have a little bit of influence on it.

13. Étoile

While Atlanta is fairly progressive, the smaller towns here are VERY stuck in the 50s. Interracial dating is still seen as gossipworthy.

14. Brandford

Florida because its not as bad as the other southern states

15. lostinthought9

The first? Louisiana, duh! :grin:

NO, I'm totally kidding. I have no idea who would be first.
    I'm gonna guess Florida, or Missouri. And something tells me Texas...? But, Idk.

Good question though! It got me thinking. :slight_smile:

16. GhostDog

As much as I'd like to believe Texas would be one of the first, considering how frickin' gay we are*... I just remember how that didn't stop the state from passing its dumbass "no same-sex marriage NO CIVIL UNIONS EITHER, NYERH" constitutional amendment with an annoyingly large majority. I figure it's gonna have to be federally mandated before progress happens. I would love for Texas to surprise me, though!

I do pretty much figure it's gotta happen like integration of the schools. =/ Even when integration was federally mandated, it wasn't until the federal government threatened to pull school funding unless segregation stopped that many Southern areas integrated their schools.

We don't take kindly to change in these parts. =(

*C'mon, Dallas has the 8th largest LGBT population in the US, Austin's way up there too, and Texas is the 4th gayest state in the US. According to this, anyway, which cites the US Census and I am too tired to look up whether it's correct. WE ARE PRETTY GAY THOUGH.

#16 GhostDog, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  17. mmilam75

I'd say Florida first and then North Carolina - North Carolina being slightly more open than other states in the south. Beyond that, though, it's like a ten way tie for states in the south that would refuse unless they were forced to do so.

18. Cotton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I would say Florida, and not just because I'm from there.
    I've heard that Florida is only geographically south, but could probably be compared to more of a northern one in other aspects.

19. starfish

I disagree with my esteemed colleague from Dallas.

My money is on Texas. Why do I say that. Well Texas is fickle. Our population is made up of 4 main groups that influence policy.

Those that migrated here to work in high tech and other high paying jobs. These folks tend to be fiscally conservative. They vote republican because they think the democrats are going to spend all of their money. They do tend to be socially conservative, but that is not drive them to vote. As long as their taxes don't go up they are happy.

The red neck. These folks do tend to be conservative, but ultimately distrust the government and big business. They just want to be left alone to live their live and raise their families. Yeah they might not like gay marriage, but ultimately they are more worried about their guns and taxes.

The fundamentalist Christian. These group is not as big as people thing in Texas. Yes a lot of people go to church in Texas, but most people are Christian only on Sunday mornings. They are just looking for power and attention. They will exploit what ever is the concern of the moment to get it.

The good ol' boy. These are the guy that can do no wrong, and alway look out for their friends. The Texas government runs on the good ol' boy system and they support anyone that can keep them in power. For the past 15 years or so the good ol' boy and the fundamentalist Christian have been best friends. Though it is not a true friendship, it will end as soon as either side finds someone better.

As soon as it will help a Texas politician to support an LGBT issue you can bet you ass they will take credit for it and make it happen.

20. Nixon

I've always thought Virginia or North Carolina would be there becoming more progressive states.