1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Israel

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nitro, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Nitro

"Whoa," you are surely thinking, "this could go bad real fast." So please, let us attack ideas and not people, and be respectful throughout.

A nation, used in an anthropological sense, is the highest level of incorporation (read: practically the opposite of assimilation) of an ethnic community and includes territorial claims. A (sovereign) state is an organized political community with sovereignty over a particular area and population. Israel is a jewish nation state. It's cause d'être may be summed up as a homeland for the Jews. Indeed, the Law of Return grants all Jews and those of Jewish lineage the right to Israeli citizenship.

To start this discussion a question:

- In what way(s) does Israel differ from other unrecognized nation states, such that an axiom may be made as to the legitimacy of the given state?

The quick answer to this is that not all states recognize Israel's sovereignty or right to exist and that history is largely written by the victors of armed conflicts (Israel having proven to be quite capable of defending its borders in armed conflicts with its neighbours). I think there is more to this, and so I pose the question in the hopes that others, perhaps more knowledgeable users, will together elucidate this issue.

2. Shevanel

Examples of Other Unrecognized Nation States?

3. Just Adam

for any society to survive it has to have strong defense and/or somthign to offer that others want can use will appreciate or benefit...

resources, oil,gas,water,crops,metal ore,
    knowlledge is also anotehr key to a societys strength

failing that invade.

4. azrae1

azrae1 Guest

if u ask any1 in the arab world where is israel, he will say what r u talking about xD?!? loool, for me i do recodnize it as a Jewish nation and i don't understand why arabs here don't wanna accept it lol

but again, here is a list of nations which some countries don't recodnize:

1)Israel
    2)Taiwan
    3)Kurdistan
    4)Somalia
    5)Western Sahara
    6)Palestine
    7)Northern Cyprus(Turkey)

8) United States of America :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#4 azrae1, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2009
  5. Nitro

The first examples that come to mind would be Palestine, Québec, and the recently defeated Tamil Eelam.

The last one is kind of interesting in that the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) have fought a 25 year civil war with land, navy, and air forces and have controlled a certain territory for some time. They are also known for their use of child soldiers and suicide bombings. The LTTE is considered a terrorist organization in 32 countries.

One common denominator among the above mentioned unrecognized nation states is the use of terrorist actions by some who support their existence. Hamas, Front de libération du Québec, and the LTTE have all deliberately engaged in acts of terror. It should be noted that some states that are recognized have committed acts that could be considered acts of terror (ex: Dresden bombings).

6. olides84

Quebec??? Really, I'd say hikikomori cites the main examples. Typically the unrecognized 'state' is a smallish part of a larger state that is going through a typically armed conflict to gain autonomy or total independence.

It was largely the same for Israel. But the differences are that the "larger" state was Palestine that was controlled by the British so it was probably always a transitional state. Also, Jews were immigrating heavily into Palestine and thus continually increasing their numbers. Then WW2 and the holocaust happened and still more Jews wanted to emigrate there. The other ways Israel is different is 1) the UN ultimately got involved to find a solution, and 2) Israel decisively won wars to defend their independence and their borders. They even continue to occupy areas outside their country (west bank, golan heights) to protect, and some say enlarge, their state.

True. Israel would also qualify there as well, as there were definitely acts of terror, on both sides, during the years leading up to the creation of the state.

7. littledinosaurs

No one can make an axiom that would make it a legitimate state to all. That's the problem when one piece of land was promised to two different groups. =/

8. Bryan90

I don't think there is a definite "formula" we can apply to why some states are recognized while some states are not.

Although Israel did win the war against the Palestinians and some other Middle East Countries (Egypt, Jordan, etc) to win the territories it occupies today, the reason that it is mainly not recognized by many Muslim Countries is because of its long standing conflict with the Muslim countries.

In the end, I'd say that it's pure politics...