1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dude Mentality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Étoile, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Étoile

When guys are separate, they act like themselves. When put together, they seem to transform into a different person and adopt a 'dude' mentality, you know what I mean? They do things and say things that seem out-of-character for them. This has been puzzling me for a while now. I can never tell if this is another side of them or a complete façade to fit in with the guys. I've never seen this happen with girls. They may get chattier and more excitable, but their real personality's still there. Has anyone else ever noticed this phenomenon?

2. Brandford

Oh you mean how an Intelligent and sweet person can turn into a complete idiot and jackass? I've noticed that alot and I still don't understand it. But I assume its so they can fit in.

3. IamAninja

Yes I have. I saw a guy at the movie theater with a bunch of his friends. He looked like the life of the party until all of his friends left. Once they were gone he became extremely timid looking.

4. Étoile

Exactly Brandford and IamAninja. It's like their friends are fuel for the Psycho Express.

5. lostinthought9

I agree, although this is by no means universal for all guys. Actually, I have a friend (girl) who kinda does that...

Just saying.

6. IamAninja

And those are the people everybody loves. Not the people who are, who they are all the time (like myself).

7. Brandford

I've even had friends like that, with me and the friend alone, hes sweet and intelligent and great to be around but if were in a group they always turn into idiots and act like assholes. This one friend actually made jokes about me a lot in school at the table and I never took it personally so when he asked to come over my house I said yes and we had the best time ever, one of the best days of my childhood. It doesn't really make any sense to me.

(He even turned out to be the boy that made me realize my sexuality)

#7 Brandford, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  8. Étoile

*sighs* The fickleness of the teenage brain.

9. Shevanel

I know what you mean by usage of the word "Dude", but I think Jackass is a more suitable term for this phenomenon. Because honestly, I'm sure the show Jackass influenced this behavior anyway.

10. Hoppip

This is actually my entire personality. Sometimes I feel like my unconscious, automatic mimicry of other people is something of a mutant power. I don't mean mimicking in a mocking sense, but in the modeling sense. If I see someone kicking a Bobo doll, I'll probably be standing behind them.

That kind of behavior also reminds me of the linguistic register—the change of speaking due to social circumstances. My whole body language's register changes depending on my situation.

And by using the first person, I actually mean everyone since everyone does this. Ahem. Bye?

Have a nice day, everyone. : D

^ I hope I don't sound like a pompous jerk, by the way. I really don't. I'm sorry if I come off like I'm God's gift to humanity because I'm far from it. I apologize if I'm being condescending, and I apologize for assuming that I sound condescending or something.

11. Shevanel

Yeah everyone definitely does this, just in different ways :slight_smile:

12. Brandford

I don't, only change in personality I ever make is at school I'm more serious than I am at home.

13. Shevanel

Its an subconscious thing ^

14. Greggers

I know a guy who is a painter, sweet guy and always helpful, but when he hangs out with his other guy friends he spends the entire time making disgusting sexual jokes, overplaying the "thats what she said" to the point it makes you want to strangle a kitty, and uses his cane he walks with to grab peoples privates from behind. He would very rarely if ever do these things if he was not around them.

TBH? I used to do it too. When i was closeted i would totally "jackass" up around other guys, because its what straight guys do. Most at least. You have to be *really* confidant in yourself to stand up and say "no" in these situations. Thats when the entire group turns on you. Ive seen it happen. The guy who sat alone at lunch every day in highschool and made friends with the teachers? He was the one who said "no".

When i came out however, i freely said "no" because honestly at that point why not :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: they all think you take it up the ass, why not tell them your not going to butch up when hanging out with them and become a total jackass?

15. Nodnarb

I notice this all the time. When people are in groups, it seems like they try hard to sort of 'fit in' with everybody else, and do or say what they think the group wants them to do. When it's more of a one-on-one situation, they will let their guard down and just be themselves.

16. Definitely, I change when I'm around people. But not in the "dude" sort of way. I'll be more outgoing, more energetic, more carefree when I'm around good friends. I don't, however, change myself to fit in with them. It's just that... it feels good to be around them, and I show it.

I actually know a girl who fits this--she's a really nice person to be around when it's a relatively isolated setting, but around her friends she's kind of a preppy bitch.

17. mattypants

i think you mean the behaviour lead to jackass :wink:

and i definitely see the 'dude' phenomenon xD

18. joss22

I know this guy who feeds off of the attention of others, making snarky comments and whatnot. He used to be extremely popular, and teachers still adore him, but by now the vast majority of the grade sees through his act. He is pretty witty, but when it is one on one with him he usually clams up and becomes nervous and awkward. It is as if he doesn't know what to do if he doesn't have to impress anyone. I am not going to say he is quite a jackass per se, but sometimes he does go past the line of jack ass-ed-ness when trying to get a laugh out of other people especially his friends who are very willing to laugh at anothers expense.

19. Étoile

I get more social and outgoing when around friends too, but I don't say offensive things I wouldn't say if by myself or do something uncomfortable to be one of the boys. There's a fine line between comfortability and jackassery around friends and some people drive straight over the cliff.

20. Camman3

Lol I know what you're talking about, though I find this happens in two ways:

1) People get much more excitable and they project their personality more outwardly around friends. This is almost just an amplified version of them which doesn't show when they're alone.

2) People that actually change their personality around different groups of friends. My friend had a bf who was a nice, chilled guy around me and my friends, but loud, rowdy, condescending, homophobic (doesn't know about me or my friends, so it's not because of us), and just generally "bad-boyish".... Which annoys me. Tosser.

I get louder, laugh more, and just enjoy myself so much more (and other people just disappear to me), but when someone says something uncool, I'll stand up to them or leave if I don't agree with whatever they're doing.