1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

meeting guys?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by aawwee221, Sep 10, 2005.

1. aawwee221

where are good places to meet guys? (guys that are into guys...)
    ive never had a boyfriend so i dont know where to meet guys, i dont want to accidentaly ask a straight guy out :icon_conf
    im not old enough to go to clubs so thats not an option

2. Aaron

Aaron Guest

I'm not sure where you live, as your profile is quite bare, but joining a local gay youth group could be a start. If nothing else, it will allow you to network with other gay people your age, which will at least open the possibility of meeting a special someone.

3. Hi, aawwee, and welcome! I don't have a good answer to your question. Patience is definitely a virtue when it comes to meeting other gay guys. But once you meet one, he might know other gay people, and then you could branch out a little that way. And maybe you could search the Internet, either for good meeting-people forums or for resources for gay youth in your area. ...? Sorry I can't be more helpful.

4. goratrix

Two days ago I'd said there are no such things as accidents... they I accidentally asked a (alleged) straight guy if he had plans that night. It wasn't an accident but I wasn't thinking on what I was doing, and I only realized later that it sounded as if was asking him out.

I've never had a boyfriend either, so I can't be of much help. However, I want someone compatible with me, someone I have things in common with, so I look for guys that have similar interets as me. It turned out to be pretty hard, because there aren't that many nerds arround, specially where I live... I mean... how many people that play warhammer do you know? or D&D? or that are linux addicts? or that enjoy rock as much as pop? (thanks popboy for the SG mp3!) So it might be a little difficult if you happen to be a geek, but perhaps you'll have more luck than me... or perhaps you'll be into music, or design... there aren't that many gay guys in computing engineering... not as many as there are in design anyways!

I guess what I mean is that you have to look for guys everywhere in your life, not trying to force things, but acknowledging the possibility, and keeping your eyes open.

Now, the worst questions you'll find are: is this guy gay? is he hitting on me? with these questions I can't help you, because I haven't figured them out yet... and it's costing me more than I want it to.

Ok... I'm rambiling and probably not making any sense... so... I hope I didn't confuse you any more than you already were...

5. goratrix

oh, welcome btw.

6. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm in (or come from) a computer science background, and I've definitely known a few gay guys who are into computers. I don't know if it's a super-common thing but I don't think it's very rare.

As for meeting people, the best way if you're officially underage is a gay youth group of some sort, provided that's an option for you (I know not every area/city/town has them). Barring a municipal or high school one, you might check out any local universities/colleges to see if they have gay groups (depending on how young you are, of course... if you're 15, they're probably not going to be your crowd). The university/college groups here, at least, don't insist that people attending activities be attending the university/college in question.

Apart from that, I would look into "alternative" stuff, as in non-mainstream groups. A lot of times the people who belong to those "crowds" are more sensitive about difference than say the mainstream population and so you get people involved in those kinds of groups who are often gay-friendly and maybe even gay. By "alternative," I mean anything from rave culture to theatre groups/troups to writers/poetry groups, etc. Some of the information from stereotypes can turn out to be true some of the time.

And yeah, the Internet is definitely a way to meet guys... it's worth observing some basic online common sense if you do, though, like not meeting someone you don't know somewhere that isn't very public, making sure to tell a friend or two when you're meeting someone new and where you'll be and when you expect to be back, talking on the phone first... stuff like that, which hopefully by this point seems kinda like "DUH!" to most people, in that hopefully people are just generally aware about suitable precautions to take when meeting people they've never met in real life for the first time. But it can't hurt to reiterate some of the basic points, right?

Good luck! Let us know it goes.

7. Micah

I realise that this may not be a viable option for you, but coming out can be pretty good for picking up guys. As news spreads you can get connected with other gay people who have gay friends, who also have gay friends who have gay friends :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: so on so forth.

Anyway, goodluck with your hunt, and let us know how it goes.