1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can opinion change?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AMH91, Dec 12, 2009.

1. AMH91

AMH91 Guest

Well as you know if you read my profile im straight. Im on this site due to a friend as you know if you read my profile is x2x2x2x2y2.He had came out to me about week ago and when he did he knew i did not like gays at all. To be serious with you guys i had no taste for gays at all but as time has developed me and my friend have become closer about him talking bout his feelings of guys and how he is gay and it has not been so hard for me to be ok with it. I think him coming out to me just opened a type of door for me to be ok with gays and to be able to understand gays at a better perspective. So i guess him coming out to me just gave me a different view on life and all people no matter their orientation. So i dont know why im really posting this except to let out what i really have been thinking since my friend came out to me. So thank you to who ever reads this!!!

2. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, and thanks for posting this! It's always nice to hear a story of acceptance, and it's doubly nice to hear it from someone who did the accepting!

Sometimes learning that a good friend was gay all along does open some kind of door. Suddenly, you find out that gays aren't those strange people doing yucky things somewhere far away, but also a good friend who's just the same as he always was even though he likes guys more than girls...
    And most gays are like that. Just normal guys who happen to like guys and girls who happen to like girls.

Good to hear you saw beyond the stereotype and remained good friends! :thumbsup:

3. Bradley James

You know, I always get a bit snippy when I hear comments like "I'm ok with it." My usual response is, "Yes, I don't know how I've lived this long without your acceptance." Or "Thanks, that means oh so much to me."

I'm just a bit cranky, I guess. And it doesn't have to be about my coming out either. I'm like that with anyone agreeing/accepting with what I say. I have a rather over inflated sense of... importance.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really nice of you to speak out in support of your friend, and to acknowledge how your own views and perceptions have changed as a result of his disclosure to you.

It can be hard to examine your views, and even harder to admit maybe you were wrong. I think a lot of people are particularly sensitive to issues surrounding sexuality because when we think about a friend being gay, sometimes it makes us think about our own feelings and attractions, and, even if we are completely straight, it can still be a little unnerving.

In any case, welcome to EC, and I hope you'll stick around and participate.

5. secret garden

I'm happy to hear there are some people who take the time to understand and support gays.
    We need more people like that, it's a shame how people easily judge and reject. :frowning2: