1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The life-threatening scarf/fainting "game"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Corny, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Corny

Corny Guest

Just this week there was another death by a young teen here, due to this stupid game. Apparently this kind of insane test of courage or "game" is becoming more and more popular here now, too. I could only find one quite old "international" ( = english) article about it though .. seems it has been going on in France for some time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2000/dec/24/jonhenley.theobserver

I heard about it first in connection with the death of David Carradine, but didn't know until now that apparently teenagers are already "playing" this. Should you ever encounter someone in this kind of stupid Russian roulette please inform your parents/teachers or any other nearby person that might help as soon as possible. There is no fun in dying or watching a person die ..

2. calstad

I used to do that when I was younger, expect It was done with a pair of hands instead of a belt. It was called "Space Monkey's"

I admit it was a very irresponsible thing to do willingly but... the technique is essentailly the same thing as putting someone out with a sleeper hold.

theres a difference between the sleeper hold and strangling someone to death, and what David Carradine was doing was auto erotic asphyxiation, maybe he forgot to put a lemon in his mouth...

3. Corny

Corny Guest

I don't see much of a difference. Both are stupid and life-threatening. Whether you just do it for the "kick" of nearly becoming unconscious or for the "kick" in connection with sexual pleasures .. the result is deadly and the circumstances embarrassing - in both cases.

4. Gin Uh Fur

Gin Uh Fur Guest

that is horrible. i dont understand why someone would need to pass out to enjoy a sexual experience.

well just one more thing i'll need to be on the look out for when i start teaching.

5. RainInAfrica

Funny you bring this up today.
    A year ago today a boy in my year in my school died from this. There was a mass for him today.

6. Étoile

I'm sorry, but these kids are beyond stupid for this. I feel no sympathy for them.

7. RaeofLite

I remember a friend introduced me and others to that game. Just as my friend was about to do it to me, mom walked in. I've never seen her so livid/shocked as she was then... (until I came out of course).

Definately not a cool way to "get a high". :frowning2:

8. Corny

Corny Guest

The danger here is that some kids might try it under peer pressure (compare RaeofLite's post). Others say it's cool, let's try it don't be chicken .. It is important to know how dangerous it is and despite what other think that you say "No", and immediately get someone involved.

9. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

[​IMG]

They aren't children. They're teenagers and quite frankly, you should know by that age that suffocating yourself WILL kill you. People will always be doing shit that's dangerous; I remember in junior high my classmates would do that with their hands. I did not. Some people cave under peer pressure, but it's by teaching people how to think for themselves that we avoid situations like this.