1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being gay and studying..

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by azrae1, Dec 18, 2009.

?

Has your sexual orientation affect you're studying/performance at school/university?

1. Yes (Out Person)

8 vote(s)
    14.5%
  2. No (Out Person)

22 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Yes (Closet Answer Only)

9 vote(s)
    16.4%
  4. No (Closet Answer Only)

16 vote(s)
    29.1%
  1. azrae1

azrae1 Guest

Hello ECers :slight_smile:!

So yes, as the title says.. has ever your sexual orientation ever affect your studying habits? is being gay reduces your performance level in your perparation for exams?
    For example:

Does being gay, makes you unmotivated to do well in exams? Your social gay life isn't doing great so it affects your school/university performance?

It would be really interesting if one of the admis can make a voting poll on this, as I really dunno how to make one ^^; if so, the Poll should be with this shape

Question:
    Has your sexual orientation affect you're studying/performance at school/university?

1) Yes (Out Person)
    2) No (Out Person)

3) Yes (Closet Answer Only)
    4) No (Closet Answer Only)

I guess this looks like a research report than a normal thread post >_>;

#1 azrae1, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2009
  2. Shevanel

Put Up a Poll for you, dude :slight_smile:

3. azrae1

azrae1 Guest

Your the best dude :thumbsup:

4. Courtneyyy

I think it's just my general lack of motivation that keeps me from studying. Nothing to do with girls.

5. Shevanel

Oh, and yeah, I seriously doubt a person's sexuality inhibits any study performance xD It's my own laziness and inability to study that causes me not to study xD

6. azrae1

azrae1 Guest

well; in my case.. i feel i am performing much less; due to my homophobic muslim/arab classmates.. i think u get the image :/

7. TroubledRyan

Keeping everything bottled makes alot of stess,it really eats at me academicaly

8. Gaetan

Was kinda funny timing...me finally coming out to myself in my last semester...Most classes it didn't matter as I could actually pay attention. But, in one of my boring classes I spent most of my time mulling over the gayness. (Didn't help that the guy in front of me was especially hot!)

In other classes, it just made me jump out of my skin at any mention of homosexuality or anything even slightly related to it.

9. Greggers

Well, Im out to my favorite english prof. It definitely helps my work ethic in her class. I have always tended to soar in classes with a teacher i like. And the same goes for ones i like. I almost failed one computer class that i was actually really good at because my teacher was so...dry. But thats not so much to do with being out, thats just one of the reasons i like her.

But yea, being out in general has not changed much of anything for me school wise. The two things dont directly affect each other. My work habits have gotten better with age, and that kind of mirrors my coming out, but i think thats a coincidence.

10. Rygirl

I put no, and I had to put closet answer cause I'm not out to everyone at school yet.

11. You know what? I wonder if that could be it. I've been semi-out since seventh grade but it wasn't til the middle of this semester that people started having a problem with it (or at least making the problem known). This is also the first time I haven't got straight A's. I don't know if there's a connection, but there could be.

#11 xballetxbeautyx, Dec 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2009
  12. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Not at all.

13. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

I don't think being gay has anything to do with my study habits. I would say if anything, being gay makes me want to be sure and do better work than everyone else.

14. Confusicus

Confusicus Guest

If your mind is preoccupied worrying about your sexuality and what everyone thinks about it, or how it's going to affect your future or anything along those lines I can guarantee it will effect your performance. To do anything at your best your mind needs to be focused on the task at hand. Not running around worrying about something else. I can honestly say it affected me greatly my 2nd year of university and somewhat this year at tech school. However accepting myself and letting others know about what I've been going through has helped me clear my head and enabled me to be more focused on school and any task at hand generally.

15. GhostDog

Yeah, I agree with this. Spring semester, my school performance definitely suffered, and I know there were patches of poor performance before that whenever I was particularly preoccupied with it. I knew my classes were important but I had trouble thinking about anything other than, "Do I really like girls that way? Am I bisexual? Am I a lesbian? Do I just want to be those girls, or be friends with them, or do I actually want to be with them? ... Oh god I'm going to have to tell my parents." And that sort of thing. And it distracted me big time.

Once I looked myself in the mirror and said, "I'm queer," and knew it to be true and accepted it and felt that giddy, overwhelming happiness of feeling right? Yeah, totally stopped having problems with being preoccupied with questioning my sexuality in class. =P I started this semester out to myself and my family and I had a far, far better time.

So being queer didn't affect my study habits, but questioning myself did!

16. iwanttobelieve

my gay-ness causes me to day dream about hot guys instead of talking, studying, thinking, contributing lol the list goes on...

17. RaeofLite

I'm out, and yes, my performance has suffered. Partially because being out and more open is stressful (with homophobia, and family acceptance), as well as the fact that I feel kinda lonely being (or seeming like) the only lesbian my age in this city.

Whereas when I was in the closet, I was denying it so I didn't tell people and therefore didn't have homophobia, social issues really.

18. Connor22

same. and my friends talking to me about it and trying to get me to come out doesn't really help

19. Emberstone

I think being gay actually makes you smarter. look at leonardo da vinci, he was bisexual if I remeber correctly.

20. Brandford

Not really, I really don't need to study, never have. But other than that, its my own procrastination and laziness that keeps me from doing home projects and homework. But sometimes, things regarding my sexuality can put me in a really bad mood and not make me wanna do anything but i dont think that counts because anything can put me in a bad enough mood to not make me wanna do anything