1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brown ECers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RAJ Aladdin, Dec 29, 2009.

1. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

It just occurred to me...

Am I the only Brown ECer?

How many of you guys are Brown? Just curious.

Brown usually consists of those of Indian, Pakistani, Sri Lankan, Guyanese, Trini, etc. descent.

I can't be the ONLY one.

2. x2x2x2x2y2

Since when doesnt Mexican count as brown??

3. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

To tell you the truth I have NEVER heard Mexican as brown but OKAY! LOL!

4. x2x2x2x2y2

Really?? i have before. What other color would we be?? lol

5. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

LOL I dunno! LOL!

6. jp xch

jp xch Guest

Haha thats funny 'cause
    I thought you were talking
    about Mexican..

7. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

WOW!!! Maybe it's an American thing because in Canada it means Indian- okay I'll change the name...

8. riddlerno1

Hey, another brown ECer over here. And im indian.

9. BrownBoi89

Yeah Raj in Canada, South Asians are usually the ones people think of when they think of a brown person, whereas in the States it's Hispanic Americans that first comes to mind when they hear a brown person. Also if you ask someone from the UK to describe an Asian person they would describe someone who is South Asian whereas someone from Canada or US upon hearing someone being described as Asian will automatically assume they are talking about someone of East Asian cultural background. I am a Brown ECer by the way (that's me in my avatar). I am of Punjabi Indian cultural background and my nationality is Canadian.

10. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

That's what I thought. :slight_smile:

11. 507bro

I thought Native Americans and Mexicans are consider red

12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think anyone who has "brown" skin would fit in this category.

I don't see why it matters if there is anyone else the same race as you. You are a person, part of the human race. Don't try to segregate yourself hun.

13. 71390S

71390S Guest

There are cultural differences. That's why this forum exists, we all come here because we have something in common: We're GLBT/straight ally. Maybe he wants someone to talk to from a similar culture :slight_smile:

14. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Someone can be white and have indian culture if they were born there.... maybe.....

15. 71390S

71390S Guest

Yes, that would make them nationally/culturally Indian.

16. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

First of all, offending anyone was NEVER, NOT ONCE an intention. Where I'm from (not important) "BROWN" has ALWAYS meant "Indian". I didn't want to offend anybody (to be honest I thought "Red", not "Brown", did mean Natives and Mexicans, but that's not why I made this thread). I genuinely wanted to know if they were other "Brown" people like me, so 71390S was on the right track. I was never segregating myself (couldn't be prouder to be Brown but I love all people of every walk of life) but I was truly interested in the amount of people on here who were of Indian, Paki, etc. descent because I had never seen it from others (introductions, homepage avatars etc.). It looked like I was the only one but I know EC is HUGE so it couldn't be. It's nice to confide in someone who might be tackling the same issues as me and can relate to me through culture. Look at my first thread EVER this summer and it asked a question along the lines of "do you think your culture is a barrier for your sexuality?".

Never did I want to segregate. Never. Sorry for the longwindedness but I just wanted it known segregation was NEVER an intention.

I guess Austin you were trying to tell me not to worry about such race related issues and I thank you for that but it was a friendly thread, just wanted to lend out an outstretched hand to someone who would want help and from someone who could relate culturally. Maybe if I needed one they'd be there for me too. Plus, it's nice to make new friends.

Perhaps we all misunderstood the meaning of this thread :slight_smile:

#16 RAJ Aladdin, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2009
  17. Emberstone

more of a burnet scenna... just kidding.

honestly, when I read this title, I had to read it three times more before deciding if should click it or not.

I have native american heritage myself, but I am not actually dark skinned tone. my heritage comes out in black eyes, and high cheek bones.I am actually fairly average on a causcasion scale thanks to european ancestry on my dad's side.

18. BrownBoi89

Well Raj if you ever need someone to talk to about sexual orientation within the context of South Asian culture, I'd be more than happy to talk with you :slight_smile:

19. riddlerno1

Yeah me too Raj! and hey to brownboi too! :slight_smile:

20. SRSLYMARK

To clarify, I live in the US and everyone here refers to Indian/Pakistani people as "brown." I've never heard someone of Latin American descent be referred to as "brown."