1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay/Bi Athletes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rikudo, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Rikudo

Well since joining I've found that there is hardly anybody here who likes sports or even less participates in them. I kinda wanted to talk with somebody who could get were I'm coming from as somebody who is trying to figure out their sexuality. So if there is any body like that please respond.

2. xCrazyInsanity

I don't think I count, and the sports I'm good at are kinda stereotypically gay.

I used to swim. Quite well actually, I was training for states, when I injured my shoulder about this time last year, and I can't swim competitively anymore.

I've been doing, and still do, tennis. Yeah, it's a girls team, yeah, I'm forced to wear a skirt twice a week for a month, but it's fun, and I'm good at it.

I'd join basketball (i'm good at it, and I play lefty), except a girl who's more than a fair fight and likes to harrass me is on the team too. It's pointless to join.

Most other sports I kinda suck at. Can't kick anything straight, hockey is not my thing, and I'm not built for track.

may or may not have helped?

3. Bryan44

I play baseball for school and I play basketball.

4. Rikudo

Yeah from most people I've heard swimming but I was wondering if anybody here was/is playing football in highschool or college. I'm more concerned about my teammates freaking out about my sexuality and us not being able to function well because half the team accepts it and the other half is digusted. Is it sterotypical for gay/bi people to not play sports.

5. Shevanel

Screw stereotypes, dude. I like sports, a lot actually. I'm far too lazy to play sports competitively, however xD But for fun is always fun, obviously. And Football is one of the sports I actually like more than most others.

6. Just Adam

I Used To Be On Teh School Football Team And Rugby Team And ....chess Team...also The Choir...that Felt Liek A Sport Haha.

----------

i fancy some football now...

7. xCrazyInsanity

oh, god. I wish. I'd be crushed (like.. physically)

8. SlickyPants

I enjoy sports as well.. Hockey, Curling, Bowling are a few that I play or have played in the past. At the present time they are all casual sports that I play whenever I feel like it or have the time.

9. Rikudo

lol I like to be the crusher more than the crushie. :grin:

10. xCrazyInsanity

Lucky duck.
    *is built for swimming. Misses the pool*

11. Rikudo

So there are no people here who have or are dealing with some similar like I am :frowning2:. Oh well the community here is great and everybody is extremely supportive thank you.

12. xCrazyInsanity

I could give you my experiances being on girls teams, as a transguy (closeted, obviously... most people assume I'm just a butch gay chick) if you're curious..

Probably not the same, but you'd be amazed how some girls get on the topic of someone who *might* not be straight being in the same locker room.

13. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it's the Christmas break! Even gay people are kind of busy dealing with partying for New Year right now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: So give it some days before you call it a lost cause. Maybe someone will chime in in the next day or two.

I always did do swimming in highschool (still do so now), and judo. I never came out to my fellow clubmates to avoid possible nastyness like the one you're fearing. So I can relate somewhat. Highschool sports like the ones you have in the US are pretty much unknown here, though (general opinion is that if you're doing sports, you're wasting time you should spend studying).

I do have the impression that sports is one of the last great bastions of heteronormativity. It seems that a lot of gay athletes get discouraged and pick a different hobby, or remain closeted (except for coming out to a few selected teammates). The times are changing, though.

14. Rikudo

Sure I'm looking for anything I'm pretty if they found out my teammates would go into overdrive in paranoid because they'd think I'd be checking them out. (even though theres only one hot guy I like on the team :icon_wink)

I think it'd be worse cause with guys we're up front but girls get at you mentally and emotionally.

15. xCrazyInsanity

God, i know that too well.
    Well, about half my tennis team figured it out. Quickly, since I don't pretend like I'm fem.

One girl hated me. She couldn't get past that I'm "some faggot". Meh, its easy to ignore her though, since she's also said "Obama needs to go in a hole and just die because he's killing the nation" And no, I'm not kidding.
    I played the better man, and didn't confront her about it
    that doesn't mean that I didn't find her rants on obama amusing

I think the biggest issue was when we were forced to change at the same time, for matches. Basically unless I was talking to Amber (who, was one of the people in the "oblivious" crowd, despite her best friend (lauren) was on to me, and I think figured out I'm trans too) -- and NO I'm not a pig -- I was banished to the other side of the locker room.
    Fair enough.

Coach, totally respected me. He likes having a few strong 'girls' on his team (no, my coach isn't a pedophile...), since it's a small team. 15, with JV.

I mean, besides little-miss-republican, lauren, and the girl who was in my french last year(it's french class... you think this doesn't come up?), the topic of my sexuality was ignored unless it's locker rooms.
    On the courts, everyone except little-miss was fine with me being at practices, matches, ect.
    I mean it helps that I'm a good player, and tend to scare the other team a bit (..i look weird in my uniform, gonna try to get away with shorts/pants next year.)

I'll stop babbling.

16. Meii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I use to swim, horseback ride, gymnastics, and field hockey.

Now I'm more of an artsy person then a sports person, I'm not one for sports anymore

17. Rikudo

Hehe no problem I'm the one who asked you to talk about it.

The whole locker room deal is something that would probably get blow WAY out of proportion. You see we have a tiny varsity locker room and everybody usually gets down to their underwear. So you have about twenty guys with only their underwear on rubbing each other. Now nobody says or makes a big deal about it right now. But if they were to find out the somebody likes that then they'd get all protective. Which I really don't like anybody on the team like that with the except of two or three cute looking guys and one guy who'd I'd love to tackle down to the ground:grin:. But thanks for sharing.

Oh man I described it really graphic didn't I sorry.

18. xCrazyInsanity

As tempted as I am to ask, I'm going to avoid that question for now

19. Rikudo

Yeah I should have thought as much

I guess it is different over there in Europe. We had a forgein exchange student from Germany who participate in almost every sport and he said that he was doing so because he'd have to pay lots of money where he lives.

Yeah I kinda get that feeling we're not exactly open to new things. Football wise even a new person who is totally unknown is distrusted at first but then after you build a relationship you are accepted.
    What question go ahead ask away. I'm sure it can't be as bad as you think.

20. Nodnarb

I don't play any sports (not nearly athletic enough), but I am a big sports fan and I have student season tickets to both Iowa State basketball and football(we won the Inight Bowl tonight...totally amazingly awesome!), so I say go ahead and break the stereotypes. I know back in high school there were a couple gay athletes at my school, but they were in like track or cross country, so not quite the same as football. I wish I could provide some more insight on this.