1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will it really all end on 12/21/2012? or will not?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 19rockr, Jan 2, 2010.

1. 19rockr

19rockr Guest

Near Lexington, KY, by 45 miles to the east.
    That is the question. and here is my answer: More than likely so, but not in the way the movie portrays the end to be. I am currently reading [halfway through] this book called
    "The End Of Days:Armageddon and the Prophecies of the Return", written by Zecharia Sitchin, who wrote a whole series of books, called "The Earth Chronicles", a series he started writing more than 3 decades ago. Probably took him years of intense research just to put together a 7 book series,as well 4 books that accompany the series. This book is the 7th installment of the series, so I started at the End, but that's okay. It was totally worth it. Interesting read... I recommend you guys to read this, especially if you are wondering about 2012, but just to forewarn you. This WILL blow your mind away. It's amazing how Setchin seemingly combined religion with science, because he uses ancient texts as focal points of his research, such as the Bible, ancient texts from the Sumer, Babyon, and early-Hebrew civilizations, even from Egyptian records [you know, from all the pyramids of Giza and other points of interest]. You'll be surprised at what you'll find out when you read this.
    Thank you! Have a prosperous and happy 2010!
    Brett(*hug*):kiss:

2. starfish

Honestly why the fuck is everyone making such a big deal out of this.

If the world was to really end in 2012 there would not be a thing we could do about it so why worry.

I think all this 2012 stuff is just a load of bollocks.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Having survived the Cold War, 1990 (when supposedly Nostradamus said the world would end), 1999, Y2K, and 2001, I don't think 2012 is gonna be any great shakes. So the Mayans ran out of calendar space. BFD.

Lex

4. SRSLYMARK

A couple weeks ago, it occurred to me that on December 31st, 2009, my calendar was going to end. Did I start running around shouting about the end of days because my calendar was ending?

No. I went to the mall and bought another one.

And look! It's January 2nd, 2010. The world didn't end because my calendar ended. Imagine that.

5. Meropspusillus

I don't know guys. The Mayans could tell the future. It's pretty much why they're still around today and ruling the world.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Omg. No. It won't end. Don't worry about it.

7. ethelred

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay:

1: The Mayan calender does not reset in 2012, it carries. The calender is base 13, and we are in the 8th (I think) digit. Right before Dec 21, 2012, it will be 13,13,13,13,13,13,13,13 or there abouts. Afterwards, it becomes 13,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0. The end of the world comes on 13,13,13,13,13,13,13,13,13,13,13,13,13, which is somewhere on the order of several billion years from now.

2: Yeah, end-o-the-world predictions are a dime a dozen. At any moment there are at least a dozen groups proposing to know when it all ends, and they have always been wrong.

3: Zecharia Sitchin, though an interesting fellow, is kinda crazy. I'm all for alien intervention in human history; I mean if FTL is possible, it is probable it did happen in some manner. In fact, sure, why not? I have no problem with indigenous art actually depicting alien astronauts and spaceships, some of it is downright creepy how "technological" it looks. And let's face it, some of the stuff in the Bible is a little odd...

But ancient 9 foot tall Summarian Gods living on a rogue planet in the outer solar system coming to earth for water to power their steam drives and engineering humans from chimp and alien DNA is pushing it just a little too far, on physical concerns alone.

Furthermore, Sitchin has been accused by other scholars of BS-ing his way through cuneiform tablet translations. Thus much of his evidence really lies in drum seals, which are so stylized it is difficult to get a clear reading on what the hell they are depicting, especially outside of their 7000 year old cultural and temporal context.

The only way the world will end in 2012 is if 1) we blow ourselves up or 2) outside forces do it for us. Neither is terribly likely.

8. Meii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    History repeats itself, in this case we're being silly again and this is another Y2K saga.

:/ It's possible something will happen sure, but then again something could happen tomorrow or even this very moment.

9. RCooper

The chance of the world ending on that particular day is no greater than the chance of it ending any other day. Besides, it would take an awful lot to destroy the world.

10. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't believe it at all. I think December 12, 2012 will be just another day like any other day. Sorry, it just sounds like a crock to me. It's kinda reminiscent of the Y2K panic from ten years ago. Nothing happened then, and I doubt anything will happen in 2012.

11. Meii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Not really, our earth is pretty easy to destroy, we're doing it slowly everyday, as humans breeding we're slowly imploding, not to mention how much we pollute and destroy the planet. Plus it just takes one nuclear war, pandemic outbreak of some disease, or a meteor to destroy this planet.

The earth is fragile as hell, but it's certainly not going to spontaneously die because some ancient calendar stopped at that day.

12. RCooper

I disagree. The earth has been through countless pandemics and meteor strikes, and we do not currently have enough nuclear weapons to destroy the world. Cause nuclear winter and end modern civilization, yes, but not destroy the planet.

13. Eponine

Yes, the world will end. I'll make sure of it. (insert evil laugh)

14. Meii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well the dooms day is implying that it'll be destroyed as in almost how the dinosaurs were wiped out, not literally the whole sphere itself.

Though I will say it's still pretty fragile, you have to think also outside interferences too, the sun dying out or even something so silly but very possible as a worm hole. It's not very likely to happen, at least not in our time, but it's still pretty easy.

15. QFT.

Ignore this.

16. olides84

Sure it will. And for all of you who agree, since you won't need it feel free to give me all your money before it happens...I might just throw a big party! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Ben

Ben

The end of the world prophecies have proved quite reliable in the past… right?
    *looks at existence*؟

18. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Mayans stopped their calendar on December 21st, 2012 because they didn't even think the Earth would be around still by then, or at least human life. But oh look we are, and the fact is, that's the only reason for the calendar ending that specific date.

19. ANightDude

The Mayans couldn't predict any World Wars.
    They couldn't predict 9/11.
    Hell, they couldn't predict the fall of their own civilization.

Is it possible something could happen on 12/21/2012? Of course, anything is possible. Will the world end? No.