1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why was T put with GLB?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Owen, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

This is something I've been trying to figure out lately. Why are transsexuals categorized as being in the same minority (or at least the same category) as homo- and bisexuals? Why do gender identity and sexual orientation get lumped together like that?

2. Beachboi92

because we are both fighting for relatively the same cause when it comes to defying gender norms. In addition i don't think you will find a transgender person who doesn't support other groups in the LGBT movement and they deserve the same support. I know for a lot of people the idea of transgender seems "weird" or "gross" and even in the lgbt community you see that opinion but they are people and to treat them differently is completely self defeating to the cause and hypocritical like it would be to deny any of the aspects of the group wether gay, bi, trans, pan whatever.

hope that answered your question :slight_smile:

3. Greggers

This ^

If you think that the GLB part of GLBT is roughly 7 to 14% of the population (last estimate i heard) then you have to realize the T is much, much less. Its hard enough to get GLB legislation passed in government when we are such a small voice among the crowds (and so easily pushed aside at that) so think how the T would fair if they had to fight their fight alone. In short: they wouldn't. Think how easy it is to call homosexuality a disease. Well its even eaiser to call Transgendered people a disease. Heck, even many gay people do it!

We have alot in common, and that is why we welcome the T with open arms. Gender identity, gender non-conformity, and being a minority that is not based on something visual like skin color. Of course there are many other things, but we should not need much to convince us they belong. If we want full equality under the law, and they want full equality under the law, then i say we have the most important thing in common: the same goal.

4. Ben

Ben

It's an alliance between both. I know that there are some people who feel that it's an insult to put sexuality and gender together, but I feel it's a welcome alliance as both groups have similar (but different) experiences.

5. Shevanel

We should just add S for straight too, to unite everyone :slight_smile:

6. Greggers

...how about we wait until we have full and equal rights before we let them into the club? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Shevanel

Eh, I still think its separating :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Greggers

Separating IMO is not giving equal rights to everyone. Your right about the adding the S part, but thats going to happen naturally when the world sees we are all treated the same. Thats how i see it at least. Once we are all equal, we wont need things like LGBT support groups, GLAAD, The Advocate, EC, ect. (Atleast in theory, if we are treated the same :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

9. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

When you can add the 'S' you'll no longer need the acronym.

10. Shevanel

We should just use reverse psychology and act like we are completely equal, and everyone will be like "Que the fuck?". And after a while, they'll just accept us :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Seriously, it might be like a Twilight Zone episode for awhile but whatever :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: xD ( I swear I'm not high today xD)

EDIT: LIKE ROSA PARKS YA KNOW?

11. ColdSnap

that made me go awwww :icon_bigg

12. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    T people are pretty much fighting for the same things we are. And they have been through some of the same things we have. Think about it. When you're Transgendered, what IS your sexuality? Is it what your body is attracted to or is it what your mind is attracted to? I can't even imagine what it's like to be a different person on the inside than the outside and have to think about those things. We're all for everyone being who they really are, so it's appropriate that the T would be there. As far as the S for straight thing, it's a great sentiment, but dont they have enough already? lol

13. kettleoffish

the more the merrier I say :slight_smile:

14. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

If you did that it would be pointless having LGBT groups IMO.

15. Hoppip

So Gay-Straight Alliances are pointless?

16. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    Let's live on one big blue planet with some countrys and lots of water and we can all be equal and join hands like at the end of the south park movie, I agree with Joey :grin:

17. Hoppip

I wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school... I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy...

18. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

In my area we have nothing like that. Just LGBT groups where straight people are allowed to join but don't.

19. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

SHE DOESN'T EVEN GO HERE >_>. Sorry I had to.

But like even though gender identity and sexuality is different, look at it this way. Say a girl is FtM but likes boys. When she finally gets it so that the outside matches the inside and she is fully male, she still likes boys. So that would make the man gay. So some of the transsexuals still share a portion of the LGB struggle.

20. xCrazyInsanity

I've wondered about this myself.

From what I understand from straight friends/aquaitences/enemies/ect is that most people think "we're all a bunch of queers", and lump us together in a group.

But, really, transgendered(yes, i mean transgendered) people can be of any sexuality.

I'm really insulted by that.
    Why do you insist on referring to a transmale by female pronouns?
    Can I call you a girl then? Oh no, that's insulting. That's fucking insulting. So why do you think it's okay to call someone who's trans by their birth sex, rather than their gender?

The whole LGB rights campaign is for equal rights and acceptance, but you won't accept someone because of their gender identity?