1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being out at a US liberal arts college

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Yannee, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Yannee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi! First of all, if this would fit in the support area better, then mods feel free to do your thing, ok?

Ok, so here's my question. I'm going to spend the spring in the US as an exchange student at a smaller liberal arts college (in Oregon). I just recently came out to my friends in my home country and, seeing how great it feels to be out, I wouldn't want to get back into the closet while !'m abroad. However, I wouldn't want to feel marginalised or frowned upon if I decided to join the GSA or similar at the college. Do you guys think there's a risk of attracting negative attention and reactions if I'm out during my exchange? Also, how well would I fit in a GSA kind of group as a 23-years-old exchange student?

Thanks in advance!

2. Sicsemper79

It depends a little on where you are going to be, but Oregon is a very progressive and gay friendly state. If you will be at a place like Lewis and Clark University or University of Oregon, or Oregon State, they all have LGBT clubs and programs and many "out" students. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

But most of all, enjoy your time in Oregon! It is pretty damn knock your socks off beautiful up there!!!