1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Zealand

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gerry, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi guys, this is mainly directed to all you "kiwis" or whoever else knows some about NZ. I've been really interested in New Zealand for a while now and would like to plan a trip sometime in the near future (hopefully!).

What are the pros and cons of living in NZ?

Are there any cities you guys recommend visiting? Or specific things for tourists?

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks! :slight_smile:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks creating the thread Gerry! :slight_smile:
    Would love to hear a few things about NZ myself.

3. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Pros the sceney and awesome landscape, it's kind of sad when you live here you take it all for granted but the west coast and fiordland are amazing, providing you like bush walks, treks etc. or evne if you don't but then you don't see quite as much. The hot pools at Hamner springs and rotaroa are awesome, I prefer Hamner Springs though all of Rotarua smells like sulfer so it puts a bit of a damper on things :slight_smile:
    As for cities I love Duniden, and Wellington is always worth a visit especially Te Papa, the musem, most people go to Auckland but I've never been further then the airport so I can't really tell you much.

Cons the weather but that could just be me being sour at the moment its supposed to be the middle of summer and its pouring down with rain!

- Any other questions feel free to ask I'll answer them the best I can.

#3 Hidden Angel, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2010
  4. TyraBanksIsFierce

It's kind of.. bleh
    The beaches and stuff are nice, but i'd way rather go on holiday to like Sydney, NY, or L.A

It's nice if you like peaceful, pretty scenery etc heh

5. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Melbourne is way more awesome than Sydney, imo... Better in every regard, all they lack in Melbourne is good beaches and a pretty bridge with a pretty opera house in front of it.

6. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

i saw something the other day about new zealand. they have put up something for open auditions for people in new zealand (includes tourists that will be there and have visa) for the new The Hobbit movie which starts filming this year. They looking for people to be hobbits or orks. thought was cool. it was on the total film website.

7. Connor22

my friends uncle was one of the biggest rioters during the troubles, he did everything even set a cop car on fire!! then he moved to NZ and guess what job he has now...
    police officer. MY friend and I are planning on moving there when we are older and stay with his uncle for awhile... should be interesting

8. olides84

I lived and worked in NZ (Wellington specifically) for a year+ not long after leaving university. Loved it! It's a beautiful country, the people are warm and friendly, and there are lots of great outdoor activities to do all year long. Food and drink are good too! It is a bit isolated and not very cosmopolitan (when I went to Sydney after being in NZ for awhile I just soaked in the city-ness for a few days because I had missed it so).

As for visiting, I think Wellington was the best of the bigger cities. Big enough but compact, lively-ish. Not warm at all though :frowning2: Auckland is warmer, but big, spread out and boring, Christchurch is kinda small and quiet and often cold. Everything else is simply small. But as for nature and sights, there's just so much. Both north and south islands have a lot to see, it's just what you are interested in.

9. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the replies guys. Is there a city in specific anyone recommends seeing? I'm leaning towards Auckland since it's the largest and probably has the most to do there. What are some things that Auckland has to offer tourists?

10. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    don't forget to visit the south island!!! i really want to go to invercargill in particular... But if you're there in winter (south island), the snow fields are pretty awesome!

11. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

You want to go to Invercargill? I warn you theres nothing here.

Oh yea and I forgot to mention on my previous post Stewart Island is a must visit - amazing, but yea if you are a city person NZ pretty much a waste of time, its more peace quite bush and scenery but I love it that way.

12. olides84

Queenstown! And not for the ghey-sounding reason :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It's on the south island and is the adventure capital, the epicenter for so many outdoor activities. It's a beautiful area.

As said above, you don't go to NZ for the cities really. Auckland? To me Auckland is a place to fly into, then get your next flight or your rental car and quickly leave for somewhere else in NZ. Yeah, it is big, but to me it has little charm.

13. bouncingsouls

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Uh, without wanting to sound negative new zealand is really racist. My cousin is caucasian and lives in nz with her Samoan boyfriend and two children. They live in a slum area, their children can't attend the white school or the black school, people stare at them in the street because their a mixed race couple, people think her bf has kidnapped their children, because he's Samoan and they look more white than Samoan. My cousin described nz as like living in 1950s england. But not in a good way. I'm sure it has great scenery and all, and i've never been there. I'm just repeating what i've been told :slight_smile:

14. nickmc

I absolutely love my country! Sure the weather isn't great and like was said, the hydro dams are overflowing and its the middle of Summer, but there is so many positives of NZ.

You should visit because:
    - beautiful scenery
    - lots of things to do, particularly if you are into tramping or adventure tourism
    - not so many people so you don't feel crowded. Ever.
    - our $ is pretty weak so if you come from almost anywhere else in the world, you will end up with extra $ than you saved :slight_smile:
    - you can drive from Auckland to Wellington (almost the whole length of the North Island in 8hrs) so everywhere is pretty easy and quick to get to.

As for cities to visit. Queenstown and Rotorua are often considered the "tourist centres" of New Zealand due to their scenery and subsequent focus on tourism as income. Personally I would recommend Wellington also since we have the national museum, national library, Parliament etc. Besides, Wellington is beautiful! Christchurch and Auckland also may be worth a visit. I personally don't know much about them though...

I'm happy to answer any more questions :icon_bigg I hope you come!

15. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes but it's Bert Munro's home town!!! and i want to see his bike. And the beach he tested it on. It would mean a lot to me =)

and Invercargill is just sooooooo south, and i love the cold. And it's windy and i'm a sailor!