1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

straight guy and straight girl just freinds?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by crazydude, Jan 9, 2010.

1. crazydude

Ok so I wanted to see what people thought about a straight guy being just friends with a straight girl? Also a gay guy just friends with a gay guy and lesbian girl just friends with a lesbian girl, is this possible? I think it is. The reason why I bring it up is I have a friend who is a girl and we are pretty close. We are planning to drive across country together. When other people hear about this they right away assume we are or will be sleeping with each other, and I just tell them no we are just friends why is this so hard to understand? They seem to think its not possible for two people of the opposite sex to just be friends. Btw I am into both girls and guys although most people don't know I'm into guys. Curious to see what others think about this.

2. Shevanel

Of course its totally fine for a straight dude to be friends with a straight chick!

My best friend in college was a girl. and Well, even though I fell for her really hard, nothing ever happened because she never liked me that way, but we were just best friends anyway, which is great. I had some really good girl friends too. Tons actually xD

3. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it depends on the person. I know that I could have gay friends and not be attracted to them and not hook up with them. And I know that my very straight room mate could never have a straight girl friend and NOT hook up with them. He's very flirtatious, I can flirt but restrain myself, he cant at all... So yeah I think it's very possible, It just has to be the right people. I have a straight girl friend who is EXTREMELY flirtatious with me, however she doesnt know i'm gay lol... we dated once and we never even kissed for the whole semester we dated.... i think it was pretty obvious.lol

4. Eponine

IMPOSSIBLE! UNTHINKABLE! People of compatible orientations MUST be doing it!

In all seriousness, friends can come in all shapes and sizes. That includes gender and orientation.

5. Zumbro

I'm going to say it's possible, but I also know I'm guilty of the same line of thinking. I have a couple of opposite gender straight friends who drove across the country together, and we all pretty much expected them to be dating, but it's more because of how they acted prior to the road trip. If you're always over with your friend, and cuddling and dancing together, staying the night at her place (even if not in the same bed), it's easy to assume a relationship is forming.

These two that I know are just really good friends (so they both say), but it's hard to tell if the physical signs point to a relationship. Plus, we're in college, so anything can happen :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. littledinosaurs

Of course they can be!
    I hate when people assume otherwise. On the other hand people always seem to think that me & my biffles are dating. One of them is a gay guy so it kind of makes sense but the other is a lesbian! We've fooled people into thinking when we're dating, even when we weren't trying at all. :confused:

But if people of matching sexualities can't be friends then that potentially means I could never have someone as just a friend! ;_;

7. Shevanel

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbH3bAvTYjg[/YOUTUBE]

8. xCrazyInsanity

Most of my straight male friends have straight female friends...:confused: and vice versa.

I dont see how gay girl/gay guy friendship can't work either.

That's like saying that gay guys can't have male friends who are just friends, and gay girls can't have female friends who are just friends.*
    Which is total bull, one of my closer friends is gay, and he's got to be the most accepting guy for all this, despite the teasing (I finally got him to stop calling me a dyke as a joke though)

It doesn't work that way.
    Just because someone's of the gender you're interested in doesn't mean you automatically want to fuck.

We're all people. Some people aren't compatible with others for friendship because of just who they are.

*(can ya tell I don't care for the term 'lesbian'? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

9. Greggers

Im sure it happens...

...Ive just not seen it in my group of friends :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

All the guys hang together, All the girls hang together, I hang with everyone.

When one of the girl/guys "crosses over" its generally a sign they like someone in the other group and want to hook up. And they always either end up hooking up or not speaking to eachother because of a failed hook up xD

But this is just my crazy friends im sure.

10. bkwrm175

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have tons of gay male friends, many of who I would never date. There is sometimes a bit of awkwardness, particularly if one person is interested and the other isn't, but it's not a big deal.

11. crazydude

Maybe it depends on where your from or who your friends are, but it just seems that everyone that knows about us can't fathom the idea of us of being just friends. To be honest I do find her quite attractive and wouldn't be against hooking up, but I don't have to and am perfectly fine just being friends with her (i think that is what most people have trouble understanding). I could say the same thing about a guy I'm attracted to as well.

12. Of course it's possible. I'm trying to think of examples now and can't, of course, but it is possible. Stupid brain... Maybe I just don't know enough gay girls, cause I can only think of three off the top of my head and have dated or crushed on all of them. But that's just me. :slight_smile:

13. BrownBoi89

I think it's totally possible to have friends of the other sex if you're straight or friends of the same orientation if you're not straight. I mean why limit yourself in who you're able to become friends with. You might be missing out on a wonderful and meaningful friendship if you do that. Sure attraction develops from time to time and may or may not be mutual, but I think people can just be friends without becoming attacted to one another. I think one reason others tend to jump to conclusions that these types of friendships will lead to attraction is because in most movies, TV shows, and books these types of relationships often do lead to hook-ups, relationships, or one-sided attractions. Writers often do this to create drama, but it kinda does reinforce this stereotype people have. I'm sure there are situations in media where this isn't the case, but it's hard to think of some lol.

14. SlickyPants

It is very possible for those kinds of people to be just friends.

There is a small circle of friends in my life who are gay and we all get along great. There are four of us in total. Two of them have since become a couple but it hasn't changed the rest of our friendships at all. We can still all hang out together (or just one-on-one) and nobody gets jealous and there is no attraction. From my perspective I think we all trust each other pretty well.
    This hasn't stopped one of my co-workers or even my mom from thinking I'm banging some or all of them but that's their problem not mine. Plus, it's none of their damned business anyway.

15. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Of course it's fine! Why wouldn't it be?